General Are you on 7.0.x or 7.1b2?

Which one are you on

  • 7.0.x

    Votes: 54 65.9%
  • 7.1b2

    Votes: 27 32.9%
  • Some are 7.0.x some are 7.1b2

    Votes: 1 1.2%

  • Total voters
    82

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
11,693
9,041
I know there's plenty of threads discussing the differences, expiration removal, etc but NOW IS POLL TIME
 

glawrence33

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2013
67
1
Was on 7.1 beta 2, but went back to 7.0.4 about a week ago. Was worried about losing the JB. It seems they got that covered now.
 

famoussasjohn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
748
8
7.0.4 on iPad Mini retina and iPhone 5. Would have been nice if they kept it until 7.1 was out. I don't know if perhaps they had to rush it out because the exploits were leaked or what since it was a sudden release.
 

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
5,402
199
After carefully benchmarking (see THIS for some REAL results) both OS versions and finding out the beta is significantly better on 32-bit iPhones than 7.0.4, I've decided to stay with 7.1b2 on most of my iOS7-capable, JB'n devices. (Some, like my iPad2, stay at 6.1.2 JB'n for development purposes.)

----------

7.0.4 on iPad Mini retina and iPhone 5. Would have been nice if they kept it until 7.1 was out. I don't know if perhaps they had to rush it out because the exploits were leaked or what since it was a sudden release.
Then, we would have ended up waiting until around March... the pre-Christmas release was just fine as Apple couldn't make all their iOS folks work on the new, JB-less iOS version and we, devs, also had a lot of free time to test / upgrade our stuff.
 

DeLoMan

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2008
219
43
Yeah it wonder if even beta3 will be as stable, assuming its exploitable
I could care less about beta 3. I used iFile to modify beta 2 so it won't expire, and I don't mind staying on this for quite some time. This is honestly the best iPad experience I've ever had, especially after 7.0.4 on the Air left such a bad taste in my mouth.
 

YDH

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2012
12
0
The only problem is the biteSMS issue with the URL not supported error. Does not happen in 7.0.4. Hopefully it is fixed when BiteSMS is past its beta stage.
 

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
178
0
I could care less about beta 3. I used iFile to modify beta 2 so it won't expire, and I don't mind staying on this for quite some time. This is honestly the best iPad experience I've ever had, especially after 7.0.4 on the Air left such a bad taste in my mouth.
Yep same here, finger crossed it won't be any problem.
Apple seeded beta 3 around 23rd December to testing partners (http://news.yahoo.com/apple-ios-7-1...lYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDIyN18x). But i think it got pulled, since we haven't see it until now. My guess, they are fixing the exploit. So there won't be any improvement on performance, even maybe it would be less stable than 7.1 b2.
7.0.4 imo feels like android-ish. Safari crash all the friggin time, bad memory leaks leads to slow down in performance over time. I think that is why they forced the developer activation on beta 2, it is so stable it's magical.
 

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
1,178
0
Yep same here, finger crossed it won't be any problem.
Apple seeded beta 3 around 23rd December to testing partners (http://news.yahoo.com/apple-ios-7-1...lYwNzcgRwb3MDMQRjb2xvA2dxMQR2dGlkA1ZJUDIyN18x). But i think it got pulled, since we haven't see it until now. My guess, they are fixing the exploit. So there won't be any improvement on performance, even maybe it would be less stable than 7.1 b2.
7.0.4 imo feels like android-ish. Safari crash all the friggin time, bad memory leaks leads to slow down in performance over time. I think that is why they forced the developer activation on beta 2, it is so stable it's magical.
Do you see a huge difference on the beta? How so? 7.0.4 doesn't seem bad on either a7 device.
 

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
1,617
1,981
I hope 7.1b3 won't patch the JB, but unfortunately Apple will probably will close the b2 signing when it comes out, forcing people to stay with 7.0.4. We'll see, though.

I was on 7.1b2, but Bytafont 2 and some other tweaks didn't work at release time so I downgraded to 7.0.4. No considerable difference, since I can speed animations up.
 

iAlphard

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
178
0
Do you have a bootloop problem with your 5s? Mine takes forever to restart even occasionally requiring a hard reboot. Plus it seems that some tweaks won't work and we don't know about the expiration date either.
Yea sometimes, but it's booted fine so i just need to wait more i put my phone down and tolerate more because i don't need to boot that often anymore.
True some tweaks won't work. But i have past that trying all phase so now i just install what i really need.
Biggest concern 2014 indeed, we still don't know if the expiration hack really works or not. But since beta 1 almost expire and some are testing it, we should hear some news about it being local expiration only or serverside.
 

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2012
1,178
0
Yea sometimes, but it's booted fine so i just need to wait more i put my phone down and tolerate more because i don't need to boot that often anymore.
True some tweaks won't work. But i have past that trying all phase so now i just install what i really need.
Biggest concern 2014 indeed, we still don't know if the expiration hack really works or not. But since beta 1 almost expire and some are testing it, we should hear some news about it being local expiration only or serverside.
Yeah the only thing is I'm not sure that will matter as that's 10 days away and I feel like they'll probably have released the next version of the regular and beta.
 

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
11,693
9,041
Yeah the only thing is I'm not sure that will matter as that's 10 days away and I feel like they'll probably have released the next version of the regular and beta.
Yep hopefully we'll know definitively by then.

Has that ever been the case with iOS betas that they stop working even after beta string removed and version # and build # changed? I can't believe this hasn't been tried before.

I know iOS has a master kill switch as well, but has that ever been exercised either publicly?
 

thadoggfather

macrumors G4
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
11,693
9,041
How reasonably confident are you guys on the beta this will work out?

Ya think if by jan13 beta 1 expires even after plist changes 7.0.4 will still be signed or they'll have a 7.0.5 released around same time as potentially patched b3?

Not to be a Debbie downer just covering the bases
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.