Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

digitalove

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 12, 2012
I'm personally satisfied with Mountain Lion.

- My Mac feels smoother and nicer to use, the new dock is beautiful.

- Safari 6 made me leave Google Chrome.

- Notification Center is working great.

- I now use Notes + Reminder, imo they were pretty much useless before (in my case at least) because you couldn't manage your events + notes on the Mac.

- Dictation is a useful new feature, a bit annoying that it just support few languages (my native language isn't supported)

- AirPlay kinda disappointed about this, since it doesn't support my MacBook Pro (Early 2010)

Overall I think it's worth the update, even considering the low price.

Your opinion?

Tearabite

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
So.California
My only issue is that the shortcut to start dictation does not work (even if i change it).. It works to turn it off, but not to turn it on.. I only wanted to play with it - since i can type faster than i can 'dictate' ..

So far no other issues.. worth $20 ...

jarofclay73

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Been using Dictation with iMessage. Love it. I have an iPhone 4 without dictation so I'm loving this.

Love AirPlay.

Notification Center is long overdue.

Really wanting Power Nap. The update isn't downloading right now.

I don't see Gatekeeper right now.

ScottNWDW

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
Orlando, Florida
So far I am very happy with the Mountain Lion. Safari is really quick or "snappy" as someone else noticed. The addition of the reminders and notes apps is great. I never used those much on my iOS devices, but now I can see myself doing so. I am also liking the way the iWork documents are all now syncing via the cloud.

Overall my Mac (2011 MacBook Pro) seems like a new machine as it seems to be working faster and just seems smoother.

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Coming from Lion and it's great so far. It meshes better with iOS now. Also loving the improved stability.

jameslmoser

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I don't know why they removed the setting to disable Mail animations, and Mail seems to have problems with Exchange Server, I constantly have to tell it to rebuild the Inbox in order to see all my mail.

They addressed a few issues with Mission Control, but they should have done a lot more. Its still full of inconsistencies and bugs.

For the most part it does seem better polished than Lion ever was, and it really seems like that was the point. Lion was not a success by any measurement.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
I told myself I wasn't going to get it until there was an update to the OS, after the fiasco I had installing and working around all the issues with Lion. But, I'm unable to be patient with a new OS out there so I got it and installed it.

I have to admit although there isn't a lot new (or a lot that I will ever use, such as Dictation, plus I have a Mac older than 1 year old so AirPlay is not enabled) it's not crashed once and seems a bit snappier overall, even Safari (which is the bane of my surfing existence sometimes). I'm thrilled with Messages, just wish it was available on non-Apple devices so I could use it to communicate easily with everyone!

Is it worth the $20? Not sure you get excellent value, but $20 really isn't very much money and I'm gullible enough to want always to be on the latest OS, regardless.

shelob8888

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2009
I am having no major issues with mine. I love notifications center! My system preferences seems to lag, but everything else is amazingly smooth!!! (I love the new Safari, being able to pinch to view all tabs, and two-finger scroll through them!!!!!)

I am anxious to really dive into the iOS integration and the dictation.

MacGurl111

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2010
Seattle
I love iMessage, hate how it displays my appleID for all to see.. :(

I love reminders, the new mail look, dock, safari, and definitely notifications. I'm addicted to my notifications especially on my mac. Didn't care much for it on my ipad or iphone.

And love how my computer is lightening fast! :D

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I notice virtually no difference and am very ho-hum about ML. I wasn't that excited when it was announced, nor when I installed it.

I guess the best thing about ML is that it didn't screw anything up on my computer, though I do think the Reminders and Notes apps are unnecessary and should have remained in Mail.app. The dictation thing I'm only now beginning to pay attention to, it has potential.

adrian1480

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
Not happy at all.

1.) Switching spaces is now laggier than it ever was on Lion, and seems to actually take longer, meaning more time waiting to actually use the space.

2.) Graphical lag is affecting every graphics-intensive application I have. Maya, Photoshop, etc. all lag.

3.) Launchpad shows NO improvement in the year that feature has been part of OSX. It glitches out and suffers database corruptions just like it did at last year's launch. I expected better. Instead, it's once again a feature I won't be bothered with.

4.) Did I mention graphics lag? It's as if I only have integrated graphics.

2011 MBP, 16GB ram, 160GB SSD, 750GB HDD, AMD discrete graphics.

On a positive note, I do like mail's upgrades. I don't use Safari (Chrome + extensions ftw), but it seems clearly faster than it was. I was also happy that all of my apps were working from day 1. A rare happening. That said, they need to do something about these graphics issues in short fukn order. It's pretty unacceptable to me that so many have posted about graphics issues. It's the one area where changes can be really apparent, and the ball has been dropped here. These weren't issues for me in Lion or Snow Leopard.

I did a Carbon Copy backup, so I may roll back to Lion until these issues are resolved. I use spaces constantly and watching the frame rate drop to what looks like 20fps or less is beyond irritating.

chrisherbert

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2012
Not happy at all.

1.) Switching spaces is now laggier than it ever was on Lion, and seems to actually take longer, meaning more time waiting to actually use the space.

2.) Graphical lag is affecting every graphics-intensive application I have. Maya, Photoshop, etc. all lag.

3.) Launchpad shows NO improvement in the year that feature has been part of OSX. It glitches out and suffers database corruptions just like it did at last year's launch. I expected better. Instead, it's once again a feature I won't be bothered with.

4.) Did I mention graphics lag? It's as if I only have integrated graphics.

2011 MBP, 16GB ram, 160GB SSD, 750GB HDD, AMD discrete graphics.

On a positive note, I do like mail's upgrades. I don't use Safari (Chrome + extensions ftw), but it seems clearly faster than it was. I was also happy that all of my apps were working from day 1. A rare happening. That said, they need to do something about these graphics issues in short fukn order. It's pretty unacceptable to me that so many have posted about graphics issues. It's the one area where changes can be really apparent, and the ball has been dropped here. These weren't issues for me in Lion or Snow Leopard.

I did a Carbon Copy backup, so I may roll back to Lion until these issues are resolved. I use spaces constantly and watching the frame rate drop to what looks like 20fps or less is beyond irritating.

The Spaces switching animation is a little slower than it was in Lion, but it's not really laggy. I think you can make it go faster if you keep your hand on the trackpad for the duration of the movement, rather than "flicking".

Launchpad is hugely improved for me. It's not cluttered up with all the garbage (uninstallers and such) that made it so horrible in Lion, and they added a search field. I'm actually thinking about using it rather than my current method of having the applications folder pinned to the dock. If only I could put the Launchpad icon on the right side of the dock with the folders and trash can.

Haven't noticed any graphics lag compared to Lion. If anything animations are smoother and don't seem to hesitate as they did with Lion (it's probably due to less disk access). And of course Safari is waaaaay smoother than it was before. Overall it's still nothing like the buttery smoothness of Snow Leopard but it's a step up from Lion.

----------

I have an AMD Radeon HD 6630M, by the way.

Doesn't your MBP use the integrated graphics most of the time anyway?

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada
Notifications and iMessage still need some finessing:

I don't like how I need to have mail open to get email notifications. iCal doesn't seem to suffer from this problem??

I dont like getting notified I have a new message when I'm currently chatting in iMessage.

If I message someone from iMessage on the computer, sometimes it shows up as a different entry on my friends iPhone. As in, they'll have one convo with my phone number, and one with my apple id email address. Isn't this supposed to be unified?? :S

Other than a few minor gripes I'm liking the update, I never bothered with Lion.

igiboi

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2012
I love safari, I didn't really notice speed changes as I have ssd and mid 2012 13" mbp. Tho it was free for me, Im happy with Messages and iCloud. It seems to justify working on the mbp rather than doing it on the iPhone or iPad. I'm happy with what Apple did to their ecosystem and everything ties up with each other. iloveSafari6, its been smooth for me and I've been using it all the time and left chrome. Notifications is cool, just like growl. I hope they innovate more rather than just copying what's out there. Im not saying there is no innovation but the things that matters to us basic consumers are already available to us out there(like growl) and Messages has been done by Android/Chrome.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I guess the best thing about ML is that it didn't screw anything up on my computer, though I do think the Reminders and Notes apps are unnecessary and should have remained in Mail.app.

I'm not in agreement. The only reason why Reminders was in iCal and Notes were in Mail was because they were piggybacking on CalDAV and SMTP for sync.

With iCloud as the sync method there's little reason to have these features buried.

Tombs

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Sutton, Surrey England
I do like ML and its new features, mail works very well, I like how safari loads quicker and the bar and icons seem somehow clearer and sharper (is it me?) But (and it's a big but) theres no mosaic screen saver!!! We love it on our family iMac, its the talking point of anyone who visits us and sees all of our pictures constantly converging to make a picture.....:(

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
Very happy with Mountain Lion. I prepared two of my three Macs for a clean install by cloning the boot drive. All of my Macs had Lion upgraded from SL so it seemed like a good idea to start fresh.

Having done that I decided to do the normal Apple upgrade and see what happens. All three installations worked great, smooth right out of the box. Other than running Aperture and iPhoto libraries for updating and replacing OnyX and Lion Tweaks there was really nothing much to do. I'm not sure if I'll do the clean installations or not.

The ML upgrade has been a much better experience for me than either the SN or Lion upgrades. Now if only Save As and aqua scroll bars could make a comeback!

adrian1480

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2010
The Spaces switching animation is a little slower than it was in Lion, but it's not really laggy. I think you can make it go faster if you keep your hand on the trackpad for the duration of the movement, rather than "flicking".

Launchpad is hugely improved for me. It's not cluttered up with all the garbage (uninstallers and such) that made it so horrible in Lion, and they added a search field. I'm actually thinking about using it rather than my current method of having the applications folder pinned to the dock. If only I could put the Launchpad icon on the right side of the dock with the folders and trash can.

Haven't noticed any graphics lag compared to Lion. If anything animations are smoother and don't seem to hesitate as they did with Lion (it's probably due to less disk access). And of course Safari is waaaaay smoother than it was before. Overall it's still nothing like the buttery smoothness of Snow Leopard but it's a step up from Lion.

----------

I have an AMD Radeon HD 6630M, by the way.

Doesn't your MBP use the integrated graphics most of the time anyway?
Greetings. To answer your questions in reverse order:

1.) my MBP does not use integrated graphics most of the time. In fact, gfxCardStatus makes sure of that.

2.) Also, my system has a superior GPU to yours (1GB, 6750M), so it's interesting to me that you don't notice any visual lag. It's incredibly frustrating for me.

3.) Launchpad is still littered with about 4 pages of garbage for me. To be specific, 4 or 5 pages worth of Windows applications thanks to Parallels. That's Parallels fault more than Launchpad's, but the fact that I can't REMOVE any application I want to from Launchpad is the problem here. I should have full control over what appears in Launchpad so that I can set it up to my liking. Instead, I have 10 pages of applications where if I had my way I'd only have 2. And I think it's a fundamental flaw that I can't make it so without trying to get some 3rd party app to try to bridge that gap.

4.) Keeping my hand on the track pad doesn't seem to help the lag or the pan speed when switching spaces for me. I don't know what is going on with it, but it's extremely frustrating.

I may do a Carbon Copy backup and format & reload just to see if a clean install works better, but I don't expect it to. It seems like a driver issue to me. No more, no less.

The system processes are minimal as always and the computer is nice and cool, but graphics-related tasks are jerky in EVERY application, not just when switching spaces. Photoshop is choppy, Maya is choppy, etc. And yes, it's even worse on Integrated graphics. If I were estimating, I'd say I'm getting about 24 fps on discrete and about 15 fps on integrated. It just plain sucks. :(

*by choppy, I mean frames per second that are clearly lower than the 30+ fps we usually see from the OS when on dedicated graphics.

I'll try a format and reload after backing up because I refuse to use my computer like this. If that doesn't work, I'll probably re-install my Lion Carbon Copy clone and wait until a GPU update for my GPU is released.

Or, I may start a thread to find out if it's just me or if other 6750M owners are having the same problems.

sine-nomine

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Finer stores everywhere.
So far, I'm very pleased with Mountain Lion. Someone who had a good experience with Lion may not find ML very compelling, but my experience with Lion was very poor, and ML is a tremendous step up for me. I don't know how much people feel like reading, but I'll give some comparisons between my experiences with Lion and ML on the off chance someone might find them useful:

- Opening System Preferences in Lion would take several dozen seconds. Often the icon would bounce for a very long time before the window finally appeared. Sometimes, usually if System Preferences had recently been open, it would bounce maybe 3 times, but the window wouldn't appear for several tens of seconds more. My first instinct was that System Preferences had crashed on launch, but in the end it was just taking its sweet time. Opening a preference pane was a pain, too. Not only did it take a long time, actually using the pane meant waiting for awhile until your action was registered. Showing All took several tens of seconds.
In ML, though, System Preferences launches within a few seconds. The Dock icon bounces 4 or so times, and the window is up and ready to use. Individual panes are responsive. Showing All is nearly instant.

- Spotlight was very sluggish in Lion. It would frequently beach ball as I'd type, and it would filter the results very slowly. A specific example: When I'd type "f" with the intention of launching Firefox, Firefox would be the first hit...but with the slow filtering sometimes the Top Hit would be blank for awhile. So I'd go ahead and type "fi" hoping it would help Spotlight figure out what I wanted. It didn't help - typing "fi" would universally, and almost immediately, place Coconut Wi-fi as my Top Hit, despite the fact that I hadn't used that app since moving to Lion. It was faster to just go ahead and type "fire" than to type "f" and wait for the filtering.
In ML, though, there is no sluggishness at all. When I invoke Spotlight and type "f" the Top Hit instantly shows Firefox. Spotlight hasn't beachballed as I type once since the upgrade. Results are filtered instantly without the bothersome pauses where Top Hit (and often Applications) would be blank.
Lion's Spotlight also missed many documents, even when I'd actually type in their filenames or a line of text I knew they contained. They just wouldn't show up. They DO show up in ML. This is an improvement. I would go so far as to say that Spotlight under ML surpasses Spotlight under Snow Leopard. That's saying something.

- Quitting applications in Lion would often (as in most of the time) cause them to hang and require a Force Quit. Quitting applications in ML actually quits the application!

- In Lion, it generally took 10-15 seconds to launch an application (launching System Preferences took even more time). Firefox would take closer to 30 seconds. In ML, most applications launch within 4 or 5 bounces of the Dock icon and are ready to use within about 5 seconds. Even iPhoto only takes about 10 seconds to launch in ML.

- Stacks in Lion wouldn't scroll smoothly. They generally would only show blank squares and never show the file icon/preview. Scrolling through a stack usually caused repeated beachballing. Launching from a stack would cause several seconds of delay between clicking the app and seeing the app appear and bounce on the Dock. Opening a file from a stack would cause a similar delay before anything happened.
None of this happens under ML. Icons fill in quickly (though not instantly), and scrolling is smooth. There is no extra delay when I open/launch a file from a stack.

- Typing in Lion was awful. In any app, in any text field, Lion couldn't keep up with my typing. It generally lagged at least a word behind. Any autocorrecting would cause a beachball that would set it even more behind.
Typing in ML hasn't so far been an issue. ML easily keeps up with what I am typing, and autocorrect doesn't cause a beachball or a delay.

- Mission Control's animation stuttered under Lion, but it's very smooth in ML. Add to that the option to ungroup windows, and I have something almost as good as the Exposé from Panther, Tiger, and Leopard! Snow Leopard's take on Exposé was the only major annoyance I had with that OS. Lion's Mission Control caused me major aggravation. ML's is pretty good. While I do still miss a pre-Snow Leopard Exposé and the old grid of Spaces, I think I can live with ML's Mission Control and even be happy with it.

- I prefer Mail in full-screen mode. Sometimes when I launched Mail in Lion, it would automatically open full-screened. Sometimes it wouldn't. In ML, it's opened full-screened each time I've launched it since the first.

- Dashboard in Lion would generally take about 10 seconds to update the weather widget and iStat. In ML, swiping into Dashboard causes these widgets to update within about 1 second.

- Launchpad's new search field is handy. Same with the search in Dashboard.

- Under Lion, my MacBook took several minutes to sleep. It also took around 10 seconds to wake from sleep. In ML, sleeping takes somewhere around 30 seconds. Waking from sleep is almost immediate.

- Booting up under Lion took around 3 minutes. Under ML, it's been taking around 45 seconds. Shutting down in Lion took anywhere from 1 to 3 minutes. Shutting down in ML is consistently taking about 5 seconds. Lion always started up with the audio muted, no matter what it had been set to previously. ML doesn't do this.

- Switching to the Guest account in Lion sometimes caused the machine to freeze and require a hard reset. I even got a few full-on gray-screen kernel panics switching to the Guest account. When it worked, it could take around 3 minutes before the Guest account was ready to be used. Subsequent switching into the Guest account would take around a minute. In ML, The first switch to the Guest account takes about 15 seconds. Subsequent switches take about 3.

- Finder in Lion…actually I don't want to rehash those unpleasant memories. Finder in ML isn't sluggish and seems to work without aggravation or hanging. I can even eject external drives in a timely manner now. Adding 100MB's worth of files to a USB drive no longer takes several hours.

- Wifi in Lion was generally fine, but fairly often it wouldn't log into my network when waking from sleep. During these times, the icon in the Menu Bar wouldn't show any networks near me. It would just search over and over and do nothing. Turning off and on the Wifi would usually fix the issue, but sometimes it required a reboot. So far, ML has managed to log back into my network when waking from sleep every time.

- I was never able to use my bluetooth mouse under Lion. Any attempt to connect it would result in a kernel panic. It connects and works just fine in ML.

So for me, Lion was very, very bad. My problems persisted even after a clean reinstall. They were present when I created a new user account. They remained even after performing the usual recommendations of repairing permissions and resetting the SMC and PRAM. I know there were quite a few people who had positive experiences with Lion. I was most definitely not one of them. In my own personal experience, Lion now ranks with Windows ME as the absolute worst operating system I've ever used. I dreaded having to use my Mac to actually get any work done. It was bad enough using it to check email or send a friend a message on Facebook. Until Lion, my Mac was always a joy to use. With Lion, I hated using it. I'd wake it up wondering what was going to **** up next.

My old iBook running Jaguar had exactly three kernel panics in 2 years, each of them brought about by overheating when one of the vents got blocked by my clothing without me realizing it. That same iBook with Tiger had one kernel panic when I loaded in what turned out to be a corrupt CD-R with old back-up files. One of the point releases fixed whatever issue caused that, and I had no further problems in the next two years that computer lasted. Other than that, I never had a situation that forced a hard reset. On my current MacBook, I never had a kernel panic or needed a hard reset under Leopard or Snow Leopard.

With Lion, had had several dozen kernel panics and several dozen situations where I had to hard-reset the machine. That's all in one year. So yeah, that's 7 years of using Macs with a total of 4 gray screens telling me I need to restart my machine, then 1 year of a few dozen of those instances, and a few dozen more where there was no gray screen, but the system was entirely unresponsive.

My longest uptime was 189 days under Jaguar. It could have been longer, but we had an electrical storm, and I shut the computer down. My longest uptimes under Tiger, leopard and Snow Leopard were just shy of 100 days. I restarted due to updates. My longest uptime under Lion was 10 days, and the computer was beachballing constantly.

For me, Mountain Lion is ever so much better. Maybe I was just so beaten down by my Lion experience that anything would seem good by comparison, but so far I'd rank ML as right up there with Snow Leopard and Tiger.

Sorry for going on so long, but hopefully someone will get some good out of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.