Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 30, 2007
I don't know about you guys and gals. But I've gotten so used to the iPhone, I don't think I could ever change to another cell phone (until they stop making iphones). It's just so darned easy, and the UI is just so simple. I could practically do things one handed most of the times. I know some of these other phones look flashier nowadays, but the iPhone experience is just something I'm so used to, I don't think I can switch. How do you people feel about it ?

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I have used other phones, and find the much more difficult to operate, and don't do what I want them to do.

I had the same issue with the iPod. I tried to use someone elses MP3 player, I could not make heads nor tails of it.

TEG

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Not really. My reasons are:

1) Still not convinced that another product is superior yet...although we may be getting close
2) Have a decent investment in Apps...but not too much
3) Have a significant investment in accessories, including connetion to my car stereo that allows control of the phone from my steering wheel

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Everyone I know has AT&T. If I switch to Verizon it'll cost me more because I would need more minutes. The only other phone I would get would be the EVO since I could get unlimited mobile to mobile with Sprint. As of right now I'm going to use my sister's upgrade to get the new iphone. Then next year when my contract is up I'll see what Apple does with the iphone and what else is out there.

tnisatard

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
i tried switching to the Nexus 1, i liked it after a week, but then i wanted my iPhone back badly

no other platform offers as much quality apps as the iPhone

plus everything works flawlessly, android still has some bugs that needs to be fixed

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
My answer is yes to the question in the thread title. But that's only part of the reason. Other reasons:

1) Resale. I know i will be able to sell the iPhone 4G for a substantial amount in a year to cover the costs for the latest and most current iPhone.

2) GSM Network. I travel a lot and need the SIM slot. iPhone 4G will be eventually unlocked.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I'm staying with the iphone because of what the jailbreaking community is able to do with the phone making it a better/funner experience to use. Without jailbreaking, I have no problem leaving the iphone.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I plan to stay with the iPhone for several reasons: no one has a phone that is substantially different that it is compelling to me, the financial investments, and it works great as it is.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007
I'm sorta approaching this same question from a bit of a different direction: I've never been able to justify an iPhone but have had two iPod Touches (my wife has another one) and will hopefully be getting an iPad for my birthday. If the new iPhone ends up close to what's been stolen, oops sorry, leaked then it may just be enough to retire my iPod.

I've looked at Android and webOS over the last couple of months and have come to the conclusion that every OS out there has problems, some worse than others. In my case it's worked out roughly like this:

iPhone - mostly issues with Apple being a bit too slow with OS updates and control over the App store being a bit TOO tight. On the other hand it's the only one of the three that I'd consider a full, properly-supported platform right now and there are benefits to that control as well.

Android - love the concept, love the support Google's giving it, love the relative variety in handset designs (how varied can a touch phone be after all?), love the cost, HATE the platform fragmentation and slow software updates for anything that's not a base Android phone. Sorry, but when you invest in a handset and apps for 18 - 24 months and build a workflow around that (even if it's just managing and maintaining contacts and media) you need to know it's going to be supported for the life of that contract and Android is utterly terrible at this right now.

webOS - have tried a Pre on a few occasions now and haven't really got on with it. It's a lovely platform but my lord does it feel half-baked and the iTunes sync debacle seriously put me off. Hopefully once HP takes over we'll see some major improvements here but they still need to get developers on board.

Out of the rest... symbian is crap (sorry but it's only really any good as a featurephone OS these days) and WP7 I just like the look of less and less the more I see it. It looked kinda fresh and a little bit funky when it was first announced but now I'm already bored with it.

Here's the thing about Apple and the iPhone OS - they're supporting it properly. I can get an iPhone tomorrow (or, more likely, in mid June when the new one comes out) and my current workflow transfers straight over. All my apps will work (or at least they should do if devs wrote 'em properly) and I already know the basics of how to get the most out of the OS. It'll be supported up to the end of the contract and there's now a well established and mature app market on the device. That means far more to me than getting the latest whizzy hardware (which frankly I won't notice 99.9% of the time) or having the last word in flexibility in my mobile computer (I've long since gotten fed up of tweaking my computing experience).

Goodhank16

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2009
My top reasons are:

1. The seemless and effortless syncing of info to my mac (contacts, music, notes etc.)

2. The UI is still my favourite (not just because I'm used to it)

3. I'll admit, I'm an apple fanboy...

superstrikertwo

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2008
California
The reason I got an iPhone was because of the built in iPod. That reason still stands I don't want to carry 2 devices around. Also the quality of the phone + its thousands of Apps. No one can match it so I'm staying.

angevil

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
I love iPhone and iPhone OS. I love having iPod in it. Overall, it gives me everything and more that what I wanted from a smartphone. I just adore using it! The same as with my Mac.

So even though some other phones appear with better hardware I don`t feel tempted. Apple has been providing me with perfect experience.

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
Nope, I've got 100s of paid apps, 3 of which are navigation apps which costed over £25.

I also get paid to use the iPhone.

andybno1

Suspended
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I used to be a big nokia fan then I moved on to sony ericsson and that was then my phone of choice, the whole time I was a sony ericsson fan I was envious of the iPhone as I wanted one since 1st gen so I made do with a 1st gen touch, now I have my slow 3G deffinately gonna jump over the 3gs and get a iPhone 4 I just like the iPhone too much and I know there are better phones out but iPhone is for me despite the fact apple don't let you customise the damn thing to your liking lol

BlizzardBomb

macrumors 68030
Jun 15, 2005
England
Android - ...slow software updates for anything that's not a base Android phone. Sorry, but when you invest in a handset and apps for 18 - 24 months and build a workflow around that (even if it's just managing and maintaining contacts and media) you need to know it's going to be supported for the life of that contract and Android is utterly terrible at this right now.

What have iPhone updates brought us? Copy and paste? Yay! :p

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
My answer is yes to the question in the thread title. But that's only part of the reason. Other reasons:

1) Resale. I know i will be able to sell the iPhone 4G for a substantial amount in a year to cover the costs for the latest and most current iPhone.

2) GSM Network. I travel a lot and need the SIM slot. iPhone 4G will be eventually unlocked.

I guess i'm gonna have to edit #1 now that the greedy executives at ATT will be increasing the ETF for iPhones.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I'm staying with the iPhone simply because no other phone out there interests me. If there was a phone out there that could sync so seamlessly as the iPhone does that could place my music, videos and anything else onto the phone, I would be there.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I will stick with an iPhone because I think it's very good, it does everything I need it to, it integrates well with my Macs, and I have a bunch of apps for it that I use all the time.

If I was starting fresh with no phone, I might go the Droid path.

As it is, I have little need / desire to change.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
don't forget homescreen wallpaper with 4.0 lol

Heyooo! Now that's important. It's not something that hasn't been available for years for us jailbreakers ;)

Though I do like how all the jailbreakers make Apple "innovate" (see: copy) ideas like multitasking and actually having 3rd party apps

Blueline29

macrumors 68020
Jun 16, 2009
Saint Augustine, FL
I'm staying with it because I love it. It's my primary iPod and does everything that I need it to do and I'm very familiar with the UI. I could switch, I suppose, but then I'd have to go pick up an iPod Touch to accompany it, which is silly. The 3GS was what enabled me to move from 2 devices (BB Bold 9000 and 2G Touch) to 1 in the first place.

anonymouz1828

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2009
Apps & OS

Last week I bought an cheap android phone just with the intention of trying the OS. First two-three days, it was confusing and slow .. I was stuck on 1.5 cupcake no app market and slow feedback. I did miss the apps and smoothness of the OS on iphone. After I updated to 1.6 donut, it felt much responsive and had app market. I spent whole week on android. Iphone has the best OS & apps. I start to like android bcuz I am getting used to it. I will get the next iphone but it could be the last one too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.