Are You Switching To iPhone 2.0?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by javadh, May 15, 2008.

  1. javadh macrumors member

    May 13, 2008
    We're pretty sure the 2nd gen iPhone will arrive some where next month, but the question is are you upgrading or not and why.
    By hearing different opinions I'm sure this thread will help us decide what to do, sell our iPhone now or just keep it and forget the new gen.
  2. Sky Blue Guest

    Sky Blue

    Jan 8, 2005
    I'm not upgrading. It doesn't offer anything I want and looks gimmicky. I'm fine with v1. I may upgrade when they have the bugs ironed out. I don't want to be a beta tester.
  3. gkarris macrumors 604


    Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    No. I can barely keep up with 1.0 or 1.1.whatever ... :eek:
  4. citron230 macrumors 6502a


    Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego, CA
    yes i am, i sold my 3 month old 16gb to get ready for the new iPhone.
  5. javadh thread starter macrumors member

    May 13, 2008
    how much did you sell it for?
  6. benmrii macrumors 65816


    Nov 14, 2007
    How is it you know what it looks like and what the upgrades are?
  7. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Feb 4, 2008
    Nope. I bought a $250 refurb not even 2 months ago, so I'm not in the mood to fork out what will probably be $500 for a 16GB model. Whenever they develop a 64GB model, that's when I'll probably bite. I'm hoping the 2.0 models are 16GB and 32GB so I know the next upgrade will include my wishes.

    Of course waiting until a 64GB model goes on a refurb sale would be smart as well. Too bad I didn't wait until now to get one of the 16GB refurbs. Oh well!
  8. bstpierre macrumors 6502a

    Mar 28, 2008
    I am hoping to upgrade but won't be the first on my block. I am hoping Father's day will bring me a new iPhone. My most useful feature hope is that the 3G will allow the signal to reach to my work cubical. I am on the hairy edge of having service right now. I would also enjoy a boost in memory because I use 80% to 90% now.

    My plan for the old one would be to foist it off on my daughter but she wants a smaller phone (took for ever to get her to accept an iPod, she wanted a portable CD player :eek: ). I could make my current iPhone the home phone and make her use the smaller home phone. My son would like an iPhone but he is not off contract for a half year or so.
  9. cjandnw macrumors 6502

    Jun 11, 2007
    South Jersey
    As it stands now I will upgrade and sell my Day 1 8GB virgin. The FACTS on what the Version 2iPhone will tout, as well as price, may influence my decision on when I upgrade but I usually like to have the newest best.
  10. neven macrumors 6502a

    Oct 10, 2006
    Portland, OR
  11. tobefirst macrumors 68040


    Jan 24, 2005
    St. Louis, MO
    Not planning on upgrading. Maybe, maybe if an iPhone nano comes out, I would consider it based on the feature set, but until that happens, if that happens, I'm good for another year or two.
  12. TheseGoTo11 macrumors member

    Aug 8, 2007
    IPhone 1.0 selling tips

    I'm a little naive to what the process would be to sell my iPhone 1.0 in preparation to upgrade, I.e. How do I port my current number to the new phone, how do I disassociate myself from the old phone's serial#, will it be easier to just wait till I have the new phone to sell the old, etc? Any advice would be appreciated.
  13. Templex macrumors regular

    Jul 12, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Probably, once the hackers unlock it.

    My iPhone recently developed a dead strip and completely stops responding to any input (buttons, touchscreen) randomly. The input thing can only be fixed by a hard reset, holding the home+power buttons. What a coincidence, my phone breaking when the new one's right around the corner. Planned by Apple? :p
  14. MacKinvan macrumors member

    May 13, 2008
    Absolutely. The best part about it is that it should directly coincide with the government rebate checks. With ATT hopefully subsidizing the cost, the check will cover my Verizon early termination and the iphone!
  15. Mikey B macrumors 65816

    Mikey B

    Jan 4, 2008
    the island
    Maybe. I just got an 8GB a few weeks ago. If the next Gen totally blows me away I might consider an upgrade, but most likely will wait until at least Xmas if not longer. I'm selling my Touch to help defray the cost if I'm totally blown away. For me its the other possible features and not 3G that are going to sway me. Definitely not going to drop another half-thousand for 3G alone, or 3G and GPS for that matter.

    If it looks anything like the leaked pics, I'm already disappointed. The current iPhone is a work of art, and I hope they aren't going to tinker with the design. It's an icon now, and I think Apple would be foolish to change the design dramatically. Instant recognition is a powerful marketing tool. And, I just really love the current design. Some minor changes would be okay, but things like a glossy black or white plastic back, horrify me.
  16. javadh thread starter macrumors member

    May 13, 2008
    I guess most people haven't yet decided or actually aren't planning to upgrade. nice thoughts by the way, please share your opinions its very useful.
  17. stockcerts macrumors 65816

    Jun 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    As a version 1 user, you already were a beta tester. :D

    I have an Ipod Touch that I will sell on Ebay. It's been in an IClear case since day one, so it will be a nice buy for someone that is interested in a new Ipod.
  18. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

    Feb 4, 2008
    It probably just involves popping out your SIM card, but I'm not sure. Best to call AT&T and ask. It probably is easier to wait for the new one.
  19. iBookG4user macrumors 604


    Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    It depends upon the features, sure more storage would be nice but the resale values of the old iPhones will probably go horridly down. And also I don't want to be burned with price cuts not even two months after I get it like last time :rolleyes:.
  20. Diode macrumors 68020


    Apr 15, 2004
    Washington DC
    If it has GPS then yes ... if not then no.

    If it does have GPS I can see some very cool apps being written for it.
  21. Ilovemyipod macrumors regular


    Jun 25, 2007
    Sandy ego

    I don't currently have an iPhone but i want the 3G one when it comes out and im 15 and i supposedly worth $300 or something like that to the US government so my parents are going to get a check for me.

    but won't let me have a penny of the money. I want at new iphone but don't have quiet enough yet. So i was wondering is that fair that they keep the money ( i said "but its my money i should go toward me" then there like "it is going toward you... it going towards the bills for our condo where you live") and use it towards "bills" and not given to me.

    My excuse is if i spend it on an iPhone the money is going back into the economy and helping our country to get economicly better.:p

    so i guess i'll save and get one when i have the money

    oh i want a 3G iphone not first generation so ya forgot to mention that
  22. neven macrumors 6502a

    Oct 10, 2006
    Portland, OR
    It's not your money. It's money refunded to your parents from the taxes they paid. Do you remember paying any taxes lately?

    That's our president's view as well. You both may want to start getting your economic advice from a more diverse pool of academics and professionals :)

    Doesn't wanting an iPhone so badly make for an awesome goal to save for and work towards? I know it did for me last year.

    Good luck - I hope you can save up. You probably have until the end of June or so, at least.

    P.S. You post a "hey I'm 15" message, you get a "hey I'm an old curmudgeon" reply :)
  23. camarobh macrumors 6502

    Jul 17, 2007
    San Diego, CA

    Me too.
  24. newyorksole macrumors 68040

    Apr 2, 2008
    New York.

    My parents told me that they aren't giving it to me because I would spend it on something stupid like more shoes than the 28 I already have or clothes. They only gave me $40. That's why you need a job, I have one and that's how I'm paying for the iPhone, along with selling the one I have.

Share This Page