Are you updating to 4.3.1?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by gravytrain84, Mar 25, 2011.

1. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

I have an iPad 2 and plan on jailbreaking, should I update or stick with 4.3 in hope that there is some sort of jb in the making??

2. Dav1 macrumors 6502

It has been reported that there is a jailbreak for your iPad on 4.3, which Apple claims to have fixed for 4.3.1! If jail breaking is important to you I would wait, and be darn sure you have SHSH blobs saved, now...

3. rirawin macrumors regular

4. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Can someone explain to me as if I have a learning disability what SHSH blobs are, why I need to save them, and how to do so?

5. Dav1 macrumors 6502

The means by which you can reinstall iOS 4.3

6. Dav1, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

Dav1 macrumors 6502

Go here http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/ now!
    Download and install tiny umbrella from there, run it press save SHSH
    You will need to install java if it is not installed. From java.com http://java.com/en/

These are all free programs, do it now!

Apple prevents you from installing old firmware, iOS versions. These tools permit you to reinstall old versions. You do not need to be jail broken to do this, and it will not harm your device...

You may have only minutes to do this,,,,

SHSH Blob are a signature file (a key if you will) which is verified against Apple's Server to verify the the device is running the latest (approved) version of iOS. If for some reason, you need to restore to a previous version, Apple will not allow you to restore it, because you are trying to load an older version of iOS. Which Apple does not permit. To make this possible, we need to send a request to a different server (Local or designated) which sends a SHSH blob (which was saved by you) back to iTunes faking that its the current version.

7. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

SHSH blobs are not required for jailbreaking (4.3), but only saved incase you accidentally upgrade to 4.3.1, correct?

So as long as somebody doesn't connect their iPad to their computer at all between now and the jailbreak release, they should have no problem?

8. Dav1 macrumors 6502

There is no untethered jailbreak as of yet, so what is required is unknown, for the tethered jailbreak you must restore as part of that jailbreak, once apple quits approving the 4.3 version you will no longer be able to restore to it, unless you have SHSH blobs saved. So say you have 4.3 jail broken right now and you are happy with it, if at some point in the future it messes up you will no longer be able to restore to 4.3! This is the reason to save the SHSH blobs for 4.3. If you've used you apple device, you know that every so often you need to restore it. The more programs you download and try, the more you customize it the more likely you'll need to restore it, at some point in the future.

It really is an item that is better to have and never need than to need and not have...

9. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

Thanks for the explanation. I'm at work for the next 6 hours and haven't done this... my iPad is here but nobody here has a cord (myself included, obviously). Trying to decide if it is worth it to make a mad dash to Wal Mart to get one or if I can hold out til I get home. Ugh.

10. 3goldens macrumors 68000

3goldens

11. Dav1 macrumors 6502

For me the answer would be yes, but only you can answer that for you.

12. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

I updated since if it's a hardware exploit Apple wouldn't be able to fix it with an OS update.

13. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Do you have to be jb to save blobs??

14. T4R06 macrumors 65816

updated mine because nothing yet for JB.. i assume they actually waiting for this update and they will roll out the JB in few days

:D

15. thep33t macrumors regular

nope. hook your pad up, run the software mentioned early, and it will work.

16. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Nope...

17. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Awesome, I always thought you had to be. Cydia just saved them for you right?

18. Dav1 macrumors 6502

***If you are jail broken and you told Cydia to then it will save some of them. If you haven't told it to then it won't! Or if you never been jail broken then Cydia will not be saving them!

That is why I suggest using TinyUmbrella, with this program it saves a copy locally...

19. twentytwo22 macrumors regular

Went to Wal Mart, got the cord (needed another one anyway) and got my SHSH.

20. Charlie Sheen macrumors 6502

Charlie Sheen

just updated. and I'm Bi-happy. happy here and happy there.

21. Dav1 macrumors 6502

Great! :) You should see an update for TinyUmbrella in the next few days to save 4.3.1 blobs be sure to update and do that as well.

22. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Blobs saved and updating now. I hope this fixes the damn safari/youtube glitch as well.

23. thep33t macrumors regular

technically, if you leave the defaults on, cydia will cache al your future blobs for you :)

24. gravytrain84 thread starter macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

Right, all you do is click "make my life easier" and you're set.. It amazes me how many people do not click that.

25. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Thank you for the explanation. I installed TinyUmbrella, connected my iPad 2 and saved the 4.3 blob. I have a question though, is the blob that I saved unique to my device and the reason why I wouldn't be able to just use someone else's saved blob?

I also don't understand why I'm allowed to save my blob right now, but you stated that I may only have minutes to save my blob. Why wouldn't I be allowed to save it later on? I'm confused, because I just connected my Jailbroken iPhone 4 running iOS 4.2.1 to Tiny Umbrella, and it saved SHSH blobs 4.0.1, 4.0.2, 4.1, 4.2b3, and 4.3