Are you using your iPad as a daily main computer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by henry72, Jun 9, 2011.

1. henry72, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2011

henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I'm a university student. I bought my iPad 2 in March and I love it so much. I couldn't believe I'm using my iPad more than my MacBook Air. I thought the iPad is just for fun, but it turns out to be a very productive device. It's turely magical. :D

What I do on my iPad:

- Mail (I love the Mail app, it is very user friendly and easy to use)
    - Photo (Sync all my photos with my Aperture library and share with my friends and family)
    - Pages (I use it for typing essay, assignment and lecture notes, I don't find it hard to type on the on screen keyboard, but I've got a Bluetooth keyboard as well)
    - Keynotes (I bought a VGA adapter for presentation. It can be use for Mirroring on the iPad 2 :) )
    - Safari (Use it for everyday web browsing like Facebook etc)
    - iCal (Reminds me everything)
    - iBooks (Store all my PDF files)
    - GoodReader (Lecture notes in PFC format, I can highlight the text and add notes)
    - Penultimate (I bough a stylus, is been quite useful when I need to draw stuff)
    - FaceTime (Much better on the iPad with a bigger screen and it's mobile)
    - Photobooth (I had a lot of fun with my friends)
    - djay (Partying, just for fun basically)
    - AirPlay (I love it so much, play my music wirelessly to my Airport Express or Apple TV)
    - Twitter (I reckon the official app is the best)

Not to mention all the games like Angry Birds, Real Racing 2 etc...

I got a MacBook Air 13", it's an awesome laptop I've ever had. But from now on, I only use it for backing up my iPad and iPhone, Sync my music and movie. The only thing I need on my Mac is Aperture, so if Apple release Aperture for iPad, I would sell it. I'm hoping Apple will release Aperture for iOS soon. I would sell my MacBook Air for an iMac when Apple release a redesigned iMac ;)

What I do on my Mac:

- Keep my Address Book, Cal, Bookmarks and Notes Sync between my iPad and iPhone (iCloud will solve this problem)
    - Backup my iPad and iPhone
    - uTorrent
    - Convert my movies via Handbrake
    - Aperture 3 for photos editing and Sync it to my iPad

The coming iOS 5 will solve most of the problems. Keep everything Sync between my iPad and my iPhone for FREE, Backup my iPad and iPhone to iCloud and over the air update. Can't wait the update in the fall, in Septermber with the iPhone 5 release?

Are you using the iPad as a daily main computer or even your only device?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

As an only device, no, but more often than my iMac, I already do.

I had a MacBook Pro and I sold it to my cousin just over a month ago because she was in the market for a new computer and I rarely used mine. I do not miss it at all, but I do not see myself every getting rid of my iMac.

3. henry72 thread starter macrumors 65816

henry72

I agree, is nice to have a PC (Mac in this case) for something that we can't do on the iPad. I just want to save money by selling my Mac if I use my iPad for daily use. I enjoy using my iPad more than my Mac.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but nothing was said about backing up your iPad to the cloud was it?

If you don't back up your iPad and it breaks, which let's face it, everything does eventually. Then you will lose all your data, apart from iTunes stuff and some photos on the cloud.

Apple are not giving us 64gb of free cloud space each to back up our ipads to. We still need a full computer running iTunes to do this and keep our iPad data safe don't we?

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, the iPad fails at certain tasks.

Creating, navigating and using large spreadsheets are cumbersome at best.
    Using remote desktop apps on the iPad is an exercise in frustration.
    Surfing the web and viewing flash is impossible.
    Typing large documents is not as efficient without a physical keyboard.
    I cannot use my bookkeeping application
    I cannot run windows to connect to my work network
    It has no file system so I cannot manage documents.
    I cannot have more then open working with more then one app at a time.
    etc, etc.

The iPad is a nice tool but it lacks the general usability that a laptop or desktop has

6. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The ipAd is a great device.
    However, for me it will not replace my mbp mainly for ergo issues in holding the iPad and typing.
    Some say add a keyboard, if I do that I'll grab my mbp instead.
    Paditus will be a new ailment very soon

7. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Apple.. or rather, Steve Jobs, has always been known for using great marketing techniques, with very special wording. The fact that he spoke about a 'post PC era' sounds very convincing, as he is. And it is true to an extent, because of how useful handheld devices have become throughout the course of the years, and especially at what pace.

The fact that mobile stuff has rapidly increased in usefulness doesn't mean that the good old desktop, or laptop for that matter, will be forgotten. Sure, these practical and mobile devices are easier to carry, thinner, smaller... but talking about a post PC era is too soon, if that period is ever to come. Tablets, phones... they're just that, tools. Computers are still the core of this, and be it for production or pleasure, they will always exceed at everything.. in my humble opinion.

8. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I wanted to point this out myself, but you did, so I'll go from a reply.

The iPad does not have a built in file system, but many 3rd party apps do. It's not perfect, but at least I can now file photo's I take and keep everything nice and orderly with the app Private Photo. Nice feature with the app is being able to pass key code individual folders too. AVPlayerHD allows for filing videos. And Goodreader allows me to file pdf's, docs, and everything else.

As for surfing the web and viewing Flash, it is not impossible. But again, 3rd party apps are needed.

With Splashtop you can access your PC remotely and do everything on your iPad that your PC can do, but again a 3rd part app and you still need at least one PC in your household.

I do think that with iOS 5 we will be a lot closer to moving away from the PC than we are now, but I think at least one PC will need to remain in the household. However, in cases like mine where I have multiple older HP desktops, a MPB and an iMac, I can sell off every PC except the iMac and my family can use our iPad's as the primary device for everyday use, moving to the iMac for the heavy lifting tasks.

Not arguing with you or your points, just pointing out that many things you mentioned are feasible with the iPad.

9. henry72, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

henry72 thread starter macrumors 65816

henry72

I'm not too sure at this stage. From what I know is...

iCloud will backup everything but not your Music, Movies and Photos library. If you buy Apps, Music, Movies from iTunes or use iTunes Match service, you can Sync it back. (It doesn't count on the 5GB free storage)

Just like how iTunes backup our iOS devices.

10. henry72 thread starter macrumors 65816

henry72

That's true if you need to use Windows, browse a Flash based website etc... iPad can't do that.

I don't agree with a file system. I reckon manage a library is much better than a file system. Like iPhotos, Aperture is a library based. Pages on iOS, again library based is much cleaner and simple. I'm hoping the iWork on Mac will be more like the iOS.

11. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

Actually iCloud will back up all items in all apps like certain docs pdf and such files the only thing I know it doesn't for sure is movies.
    But user data and other minute stuff it does right now.
    Of course your purchased music and apps is a given.

As a matter of fact I just did my second backup and it used 44.2 MB of space and I have 51 apps on it.

12. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

They did say that iOS 5 could be PC FREE, which would include the iPad.

13. henry72 thread starter macrumors 65816

henry72

I think is all depending on what you do on the iPad. For my Dad the iPad can be his only device because what he does is email and web most of the time, with iOS 5 you don't have to Sync with iTunes anymore. iCloud backs everything up and iOS 5 can update over the air.

It is too soon to me because I still wanted to edit my photos in Aperture and Sync my entire library to my iPad, but other than that, I use my iPad to complete all my task.

I think our PC will act more like a server eventually, just backs everything up and Sync if 5GB on iCloud is not enough for you.

14. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

They also said they'll only hold a 1000 pictures. I don't know about you, but I have way more pictures than that.
    I'd keep a low powered computer around to back up to a local hard drive. But I'm old-fashioned like that.

15. REM314 macrumors 6502

REM314

I use my iPad a lot but theres a bunch of things that I would need in order to do actual work on it.

-A filesystem/ability to mount external storage/a way to add any type of file (python, random text files)
    -Ability to access the files at any time (I wouldn't care if
    each type of file had its own app but I need to be able to access
    those files. For instance I can't upload music files to my dropbox or
    attach them to emails
    -I would need customizable (or just ability to change default) keyboards like a keyboard with numbers on the top each with shift abilities (like !@#$%^ etc)
    -(extra want but will never get) The ability to turn on and off flash. I realize and agree that flash isn't great and it isn't the future of the internet but until the day that all sites switch over to javascript/html5 you're losing out on a lot of potential (many streaming sites dont work and many applications that are created to alleviate the issue have limited functionality compared to the parent website)

- In summary I would need the ability to access extra storage + access whatever filetypes + better keyboards.

I do a lot of programming and at the moment it just doesn't make sense on the iPad. Theres a free python prompt app but writing code on the iPad keyboard is incredibly difficult and you have zero access to *.py files.

Jobs says the iPad isn't just a toy but honestly its mostly one until he solves these issues. Of course you can't do any really series programming work on the iPad but he should at least make it possible. At the moment I still have to make a hard decision about which device I bring along with me each time I go out.

16. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

I use whatever I want to use for the task at hand. I don't care what Apple or any other computer maker says, it's all in how one wishes to setup their workflow.

I use an iPad for casual browsing. My MBP works great for my heavy, resource intense work, and my MBA is great for traveling both for work and pleasure.

It's as simple as that :)

17. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Probably a lot of the people who hang out here are not in post-PC era yet, and maybe "never."

But most of us probably know at least a few people who could get by with tablets or smartphones or netbooks because they just don't do a lot of heavy-duty computing. If they essentially just trade short emails, mail links or pics to people, read news / mags / blogs or whatever, buy stuff, use search, etc, why bother with a full-blown computer? Many seem to dislike the mundane chores of managing one properly, that's for sure, and become irritated at perceived complexities of directories, file systems, utility programs, etc. They are perfect candidates for iCloud and a tablet / smartphone. Turn device on, choose settings, launch desired apps, enjoy!

But if one creates much content (text processing, graphics), is an engineer or just spends much time with spreadsheets, yeah, then anything but a computer will be a pain in the neck at least 40% of the time. That's enough to make a computer worth the cost. Maybe some could get by with a wireless mouse and keyboard. Others just prefer laptops. When I'm consuming content, I love the iPad. When I'm creating much of anything, the laptop is definitely my choice. I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, rarely if ever use them. So I'm not post-PC yet!

Heavy duty gamers, I don't know. Probably you need the desktop power and screen real estate to let the stuff run properly.

18. iThinman macrumors regular

you rang??

[​IMG]

I <3 my iPad, but lol @ getting rid of my PC / Gamer / Server / Whatever-else

19. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I do both. All my pictures are imported through the Camera Connection Kit and then uploaded straight from my iPad to Flickr and then copy the SD card content again to my PC/Mac. Photostream should eliminate the 2nd step I'm very excited to have my imported pictures automatically sent to my desktop computer.

I don't think it'll do anything for the movies but for now I'm content that at least I can edit HD straight on the iPad, although through complicated steps.

20. Jagardn macrumors 6502a

It holds your pictures for 30 days at a limit of 1000 photos. You can at any point save any photo uploaded to the cloud via Photo Stream to any other iOS 5 device. Your PC will by default save all images from Photo Stream because it has much more storage...that's what Steve-O said.:D

21. Hueyfreeman macrumors regular

Post Pc "needed" era

PCs as they seem to refer to as Desktops and Laptops will never really be phased out by tablet devices. Many people may switch to tablet devices. But majority love the features that come with a full OS and system. For instance games. Any PC can play games. And they have a higher library. They are not completely dependent on digital media and have better output options. I.E. I can watch I am Legend blu-ray on my Laptop and output it to my friends 1080p 42'' TV. Also PCs are less personal then tablets. That is a major thing. Try buying a tablet for every member of a family of four. Thats $2000.00 for an item that will be obsolete (in terms of software support in two years.) Or you can buy the family one desktop for around 500-1200$ that will be able to run up to speed for about 3-6 years. (depends on how much was spent on it and where it was purchased from.

Simply put tablets are impractical to replace PCs. PCs will be used all the time by millions of people. But many people will make tablets their main source of computing.

However a real threat may come in the form of Google's Crome OS. Looking at that today as I walked into a human resources room today i can see how they will change it. One such thing I see would be how right now windows controls the single use computers. (Computers that run simply a we browser and Office suits.) I can see them completely taking over those computers.

22. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Odd thing is, IMHO, those office computers are least likely to be replaced by Chrome OS and for a very simple reason too: Microsoft Office Suite compatibility and familiarity. Almost no company or organization will risk angering their employees by giving them iWork or Open Office let alone something as limited as Google Docs, which would've been unusable for every office I've witnessed.

Microsoft will continue holding every office hostage until someone can guarantee 100% office compatibility including all the formating, the collaboration feature and the complete Outlook scheduling, which won't happen anytime soon if ever, and if someone does it Google Docs probably won't be it.

23. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

For maybe 40% of user "post PC" is possible.
    My wife: she use mail, twitter and browser. No need for a full PC or laptop (thought she still use my "old" MBP 17"). She could migrate anytime.

Thinking about regular company eMail or simple word processing or calculations: actually in my company I'm checking right now to move myself from desktop PC complete to Citrix environment and replace hardware with iPad. Of course I still need to some cases some special programs or just EXCEL as its a quite powerful tool (and ye: I mean the windows version of it).

And of course: software development on iPad is still a problem. Same with my hobby photography which creates raw files in GB amounts. For those stuff of course a powerful desktop and storage is still required.

But again: a higher percentage can move into the "post PC" area ... enjoy

24. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

LOL, damn...does COD provide a wide view like that?

25. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

Why do so many people believe "post-PC" means "sans-PC"?