Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henry72

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
I love my iPad, but I just can't see myself building a web site on it. I have way too much data flying around and there is not enough screen real estate for my full on workload. There are too many things I wouldn't be able to do.

Fair enough. :)
iPad can't replace personal computer completely, but most people will be able to use their iPad to get things done. :D

mortenandersen

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
Norway
A (big) difference...

Fair enough. :)
iPad can't replace personal computer completely, but most people will be able to use their iPad to get things done. :D

Or rather to say: (...) some people will be able to use their iPad to get some things done."

First of all because of the lack of a physical keyboard attached to it in a convenient way (= not good for productivity, or writing), but more useful for consuming activities (reading, watching, etc.)

"Post-PC-era" is a ridiculous and even directly misleading and invented concept.

Last edited:

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
The answer is not yet, because even if I only use a computer for the simplest tasks, there will be times when I’ll run into something that require me to use a PC.

The ipad currently don’t have the flexibility and complicity of a computer. It is a luxury device that can perform simpler tasks in more intuitive manner. It is also great device for entertainment and games.

Here are my reasons:

Size:

The ipad with keyboard attachment (a must if this is the only computer) have the same form factor as most 10.1 or 11.6 notebook.

Performance/ Compatibility:

This is the biggest issue when replacing a PC with ipad. The ipad does not have the same performance as similar priced or size laptops.

There is no USB or SD card slot for storage or file transfer. There is also a lack of DVD drive, this might not be necessary, but it’s useful some times.

Also most programs are not compatible with IOS. There are some apps that may replace your software, but they are not as complex as full PC version. Media files are also an issue, as IOS does not support all media formats and requires iTunes on a PC to function properly.

Harvey Specter

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Considering I sold my laptop to buy an iPad, I use my 32gb iPad 1 as my main computer now. It's just so versatile and can do almost anything I need a computer for. I've had it since march this year and haven't missed my laptop too much :)

henry72

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 18, 2009
New Zealand
Considering I sold my laptop to buy an iPad, I use my 32gb iPad 1 as my main computer now. It's just so versatile and can do almost anything I need a computer for. I've had it since march this year and haven't missed my laptop too much :)

Cool story bro. Great to hear amazing story like this :D
Have you got a desktop at home? Could you tell me what do you do on your iPad mainly? :)

----------

The answer is not yet, because even if I only use a computer for the simplest tasks, there will be times when I’ll run into something that require me to use a PC.

The ipad currently don’t have the flexibility and complicity of a computer. It is a luxury device that can perform simpler tasks in more intuitive manner. It is also great device for entertainment and games.

Here are my reasons:

Size:

The ipad with keyboard attachment (a must if this is the only computer) have the same form factor as most 10.1 or 11.6 notebook.

Performance/ Compatibility:

This is the biggest issue when replacing a PC with ipad. The ipad does not have the same performance as similar priced or size laptops.

There is no USB or SD card slot for storage or file transfer. There is also a lack of DVD drive, this might not be necessary, but it’s useful some times.

Also most programs are not compatible with IOS. There are some apps that may replace your software, but they are not as complex as full PC version. Media files are also an issue, as IOS does not support all media formats and requires iTunes on a PC to function properly.

Yes it can't replace a computer at the moment (like I said I'm still using my MacBook Air for photos editing "Aperture 3", but the amazing thing is it has been already repleaced most of the "KEY" tasks like email, web, pages and more... as I listed
I just don't know why it is just "better" than a laptop or desktop, it is so easy to use. I like things being so simple and easy to use :)

ABCDEFGHIJKLMAO

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
New Jersey
here is the thing.
i thought i dont need to pay over $600 to buy an ipad becasue i have my personal desktop (imac) and laptop (HP window 7) at home, and another desktop (HP) at work. Oh and i also have an iphone 4:D
Once i start using my ipad, i realize that i only use them at places where i could not have access to my computers. Of course i can do same task on my iphone, but since i have my ipad, i prefer doing things on my ipad, because i can see better!

you wont need an ipad if you have computer and smartphone, but its good to have another device to access to web.
Now when i go home from work, i barely touch my imac or laptop.
love my ipad !

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I was...

until I realized I cannot use it for much of my online Bachelor's studies. I'm sure I won't have to wait too much longer for proper screenplay apps (Final Draft), but neither of the online course delivery systems I use have an up-to-date app which allows one to do all classwork on the iPad.

I really do hope by the time I graduate, all I need is an iPad. And this includes being able to take any course online from Penn State, UCLA etc. if I so choose.

As much as I hate to say this, I hope Microsith Word is an app by then. I am having such a hard time getting used to Pages, I'm too stuck on Word. :(

But I do love the iPad for emails, web surfing, watching movies/tv shows, playing Angry Birds and reading books.

But for all the school-work it's back to the iMac until further notice.

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
...I'm sure I won't have to wait too much longer for proper screenplay apps (Final Draft)...

check out the new iPad version of Storyist for screenplay writing, it will apparently import/export fdx files and syncs to dropbox.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
check out the new iPad version of Storyist for screenplay writing, it will apparently import/export fdx files and syncs to dropbox.

could you tell us more about storyist? i am loathe to spend ten dollars on another notetaking program. i'm working on a book right now (not a screenplay). would the program be appropriate, and how does it compare to scrivener?

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
could you tell us more about storyist? i am loathe to spend ten dollars on another notetaking program. i'm working on a book right now (not a screenplay). would the program be appropriate, and how does it compare to scrivener?

I haven't downloaded it yet, so all I know is what the app description says and that it is a popular program on the Mac. If you google it, you'll find many blog posts and threads comparing the two, with some saying they prefer Storyist over Scrivener.

To my eyes, it looks like it is suitable for producing a manuscript or a screenay, both properly formatted. The index card outlining and notes functionality make it look like it would be great for a novelist.

Alan31

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2011
Thanks for sharing information.
I read all the blog and get important information.
This topic increase my knowledge. Withe the passage of time technology is improved and fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

ghcoleman

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
Texas
iPAD is a leader in Cloud Computing

I have been in the technolpgy field since 1968 and have had the opportunity to participate in the birth of just about every major new era of computing. When I read and heard Apple's announcements for the first iPAD, I saw this device as the first real device to open the door to Cloud computing becoming a reality in my lifetime. My definition of Cloud computing is computing as a utility, much like buying electricity. I realize that many vendors use the phrase "Cloud computing" for much less than my vision, but the infrastucture is basiaclly in place to make computing as a utility a reality.

One major requirement is an easy to use mobile user interface and the iPAD 1 and 2 fill that role nicely. So I made the commitment to give up my MBP and windows desktop. I use my iPAD2 for 90% of my computing needs. I only use my MBP for large content creation tasks. Documents larger than 10 to 20 pages, Spreadsheets larger than 20 Columns and 50 rows, photo editing that requires manipulating layers, and video editing (though iPAD can do some simple video editing), and accessing a few applications that are not yet compatible with Web 2.0 standards. Even for many of thes I use the Jump App to access my MBP, though for heavy use I do use my MBP rather than Jump. One other thing I use my MBP for is backups including my magic time machine.

There are great file managment apps in the cloud nicely integrated with the iPAD. I prefer DROPBOX, but also use iDisk as a precursor to iCloud. if anyone wants to do something on their iPAD related to business use, let me know and i'll be glad to tell you how I do it.

Yes there are many things that the iPAD cannot yet do. But you can do substantially more that the guys at the genious bar know about. I encourage you to push the envelope; think outside the box, and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can do with your iPAD.

PT123

macrumors member
May 19, 2011
It's my main computer now but I have to use my MBP to print. Such a shame that the iPad is so difficult to print from...and I have no desire to buy an AirPrint printer when my very expensive printer is just fine

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
It's my main computer now but I have to use my MBP to print. Such a shame that the iPad is so difficult to print from...and I have no desire to buy an AirPrint printer when my very expensive printer is just fine

The problem is more with printers than the iPad. They all require proprietary drivers to work the conventional way. Though one of Apple's recently filed patents might eventually lead to a more universal solution: http://www.edibleapple.com/apple-patent-describes-driverless-printing/

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Well, my MBP is in for a logic board replacement, so even more than usually i am using my iPad2 . I only miss my MBP for tv shows, movies, anime watching... and Logic.

ghcoleman

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
Texas
Printing on iPAD

There are a number of solutions to print from iPAD if you don't have an AirPrint printer. like most peole, I already have good printers and none of them support airprint.

All of these solutoins require software to be installed on one of your computers connected to your printer, along with an app on your iPAD. In my case I have a lexmark printer and Lexmark supplies an iPAD App. It allows me to print from any app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.