Aren't the weather animations skeumorphic?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by sigamy, Jun 17, 2013.

1. sigamy macrumors 65816

Not that I care but I'm just wondering...would the weather animations in iOS 7's new Weather app be considered skeumorphic design?

2. batting1000 macrumors 604

Skeuomorphism is typically material related, as with the green felt, wood shelves, and leather stitching.

3. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

I guess you could call it skeuomorphism since the animations mimic a sunny day or rain. But then it might not be because the user doesn't interact with it (that I'm aware of)

4. TC03 macrumors 65816

I think people should stop analyzing whether something is skeuomorphic or not.

What matters, is that icons should be instantly recognizable and they should look pretty.

Nothing more, nothing less.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You don't need to interact with the design for it to be called skeuomorphic. Does the animation of the weather make it skeuomorphic? I don't think so. The above poster nailed it. Stitching, green felt, and the likes are skeuomorphic.

In the end though, does it matter? I'd like iOS 7 to function well. I can deal with the icons that look like they were designed by a 5 year old who just found the MS paint application.

6. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

I think the key difference here is that leather stitching throughout the Calendar and Find My Phone apps add nothing useful to the app, and aren't even a very good analogue to the real thing.

With the Weather app, it is at least showing me information about the weather. It is like a weather icon, only more elaborate using the whole screen. If it is a skeuomorph, it is a beneficial one, as it is trying to tie my app to the world outside, which is kinda the point of a weather app.

7. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

The thing about skeuomorphism is mainly the idea of taking an interface and designing it as though it was real life.
    The previous iOS 6 interface design is said to be skeuomorphic because Apple designed in a way such that many apps resemble things that exist in real life (E.G: Green felt and leather stitches etc in apps like Game center) .

THe weather animations in iOS 7 is not skeuomorphic. Why? Can i ask you, is there any other thing other than the sun itself to represent its sunny? Is there any other way to show that its raining? Instead, the animations are just straight forward designs that allow users to immediate pinpoint the exact idea behind it and there is no other way to represent the same idea.

8. zen macrumors 68000

zen

There's a difference between skeumorphism and visual metaphors.

9. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

Just because it is the best way to show the weather doesn't mean it isn't skeuomorphic. But not all skeuomorphs are bad either.

10. beam. macrumors newbie

[​IMG]

This is skeumorphic. One of the bloggers came up with the witchunt for skeumorphism and everyone else ran with it.

11. sigamy, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013

sigamy thread starter macrumors 65816

From wikipedia:
    "A skeuomorph is a physical ornament or design on an object made to resemble another material or technique."

I don't think there is much in Windows 8 that can be called skeuomorphic design.

I agree with others who have said that not all skeuomorphic design is bad.

But it's not just about materials and backgrounds...It is any use of a "copy" of a real world "thing" in another application where it simply does not have to be there.

A good example is dials, knobs and digital keyboards in audio apps.

12. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

They tried falling chocolate buttons for the rain, but it didn't feel right...

13. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Maybe if they had a picture of the weather as you look out a window or something.

14. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

But why? Weather is weather - when you think of rain or snow, you don't think of a window; why make it more convoluted than it needs to be - Apple are about refining and removing the unnecessary, not adding it.

That's like saying that all photographs that are taken should look like they're taken through a pair of glasses; there's no usefulness to it.

15. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

Totally agree. This was what I was trying to convey as well.

16. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Thank you my friend - I am glad to have done this, in your honour :)

17. Todd B. macrumors 6502

Shhhh.

Seriously, the anti-skeumorphic people already ruined iBooks and Calendar. Can we please, at least, have the animations for weather?

18. xcodeaddict macrumors 6502a

xcodeaddict

Agreed on weather, 100%. However, a weather app looks beautiful with a representation of the climate conditions - that's the point of the app - the weather, just as the point of a calendar is dates and appointments - that IS the content you want; anything more is visual noise, and a distraction.

19. zbarvian, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013

zbarvian macrumors 68010

Yes, but all design is based off reality. The mere button on screen was established by the button long before the screen. Some design is more blatantly based off of real objects, like iOS 6's notepad, but that doesn't make it a sin nor an example of "bad" design. Weather animations are not ornamentations. Here's my issue: people think that digital objects have their own form and figure, but they don't. Software doesn't have it's own set of rules, logic, and style, so mimicking real life is natural and understandable. The question is completely irrelevant.

20. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

The idea for using real world objects was to give the user cues for how to use the app. The old weather app was made to look like a card to show that it can be swiped. Is the new one more or less skeumorphic? I don't know. But what I see in the new app is that focuses more on the relevant information: the weather. The card look in the old app is redundant because people know exactly what those dots at the bottom of the screen signify, so there's no reason for using the card anymore.

[​IMG]

21. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I don't care if something is skeumorphic or not. I do care about whether the information is easy to see. Using the whole background to represent the current weather is nice, but in the "sunny" picture, you have white fonts on a light blue background. Hard to read because of lack of contrast. The new icons, being mostly made up of white lines, are also hard to see on this background. So basic idea good, execution needs improvement.

22. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I wish Apple wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater in its drive to eliminate all things skeuomorphic. I mean, I'll be the first to stand up and cheer when the last bit of green felt and stitched leather is gone, but some things, like the wooden bookshelf in iBooks, add value to the app and assist in the intuitive use thereof. Not to mention simply looking nice.

Oh well, at least we still have an analog clock in the clock app.

23. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Why is a wooden bookshelf needed to know how to use an ebooks app? I use the Nook app on the ipad and have no problems navigating it. Some people might like it design wise but I don't see where the wooden bookshelf adds value.

24. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

I am on board with this whole "less is more" approach. I think apps need to feel real and useful, and that the content needs to be front and center.

iOS 7 is going to allow just that. With the new translucent menu bars, the encouragement of apps to use the entire screen rather than blocking off the top and bottom with "buttons" and prompts that encourage you to use it right (we understand how a touch screen works now).

iBooks was AWESOME when it came out. I loved the bookshelf look. That was then. Now I need to see my books and PDFs front and center. Now the page turn animation, that still works for me. I think that's "real" and makes sense. I hope that if anything remains its that.

25. Gogurt48 macrumors 6502a

Gogurt48

I don't suppose anyone would be completely baffled without the bookshelf for guidance, but I do think it assists in conveying the idea "here is a collection of books you can read."

Granted, a grid of book covers floating in space would probably convey that, too, but not as well, in my opinion, and certainly not as stylishly.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think some skeuomorphic elements, like a bookshelf in an ebook reader, help to create the right atmosphere for the app in which they appear, and others, like stitched leather in a "find my friends" app, don't.