Arg! Wish i never bought my MBA....

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by ek9max, Aug 26, 2012.

  1. ek9max macrumors regular

    Feb 22, 2011
    Been hearing rumours about the 13.3" macbook pro retina....

    I would love that product but I just bought the 2012 MBA 13.3" because the 15" MBP retina was too big.....

    Little disappointed so I thought I would vent on the forums.
  2. Macman45 macrumors G5


    Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    If you are within the 14 days, take it back and wait if you are that determined to have a retina machine..Nobody actually knows the true if and when on the 13" retina yet anyway.
  3. marioman38 macrumors 6502a


    Aug 8, 2006
    Elk Grove, CA
    IDK if the HD4000 will be very good on a retina display, seems like it would have graphical glitches pushing that many pixels. Unless apple adds a dedicated gfx card which is doubtful, I'd wait for the HD5000 or whatever the next intel HD gfx are... just sayin :rolleyes:
  4. David085 macrumors 6502a


    Nov 9, 2009
    if it his USB 3.0 I will trade you for my because my doesn't have it but 2.0 only.
  5. tmanto02 macrumors 65816


    Jun 5, 2011
    Hold onto it till the 13" Retina is announced then sell it
  6. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

    Barna Biro

    Sep 25, 2011
    Zug, Switzerland
    That's why I send back the 13.3" I've ordered a few weeks ago... It's a great notebook and I would have been more than happy with it, but it is not an urgent purchase. I'm looking forward to the Apple event and hopefully they'll unveil it... or at least give a "decent estimate" on it's availability ( like this year December before Xmas ).
  7. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

    Feb 27, 2008
    Oxford, England
    I don't see why a 13" retina MBP will necessarily be that much better than a mid-2012 MBA - it won't have a dedicated GPU, it probably won't have quad core CPUs and it will still be thicker and heavier than a MBA... It will also likely be more expensive. I'm still very happy with my mid-2012 i7 MBA purchase, even though the i7 is still somewhat nerfed under Windows, though there are workarounds for this.
  8. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

    Apr 21, 2009
    Just return it within 14 days For a full refund, there's nothing worse than having buyer remorse. There's a very slim chance a 13 retina will come out this year maybe next year when intel release haswell this what am waiting for :)
  9. Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

    Barna Biro

    Sep 25, 2011
    Zug, Switzerland
    While I do agree that the mid-2012 MBA is a wonderful machine, I wouldn't necessarily say that there won't be any difference. It might be that we won't see any dedicated GPU in a possible rMBP 13", but the screen will most likely ( finally ) be and IPS panel. I tend to believe that the CPU will be a quad core and not ULV and maybe the notebook will be upgradable to 16GB of memory.

    ... Of course all this is just assumption, but let's not just pull the plug on it prematurely.
    Things can still go both ways... maybe it will disappoint, maybe not.
  10. WilliamLondon macrumors 68000


    Dec 8, 2006

    Apple products retain their value so well, any loss in value when you sell it later you can think of as a rental fee for the earlier product until the one you really want comes out. Never wait, you won't ever lose a bunch of money and in the meantime you'll get to enjoy what is most likely still a very good product today, it's a win-win.
  11. asting macrumors 6502

    Jun 10, 2012
    Except 90% of the time the hd4000 powers the display in the mbpr. This is a seriously flawed argument.
  12. maflynn Moderator


    Staff Member

    May 3, 2009
    Use it, enjoy it, and when the 13" MBP is announced, sell it and put the proceeds towards the MBP.

    Your other option is to return it, if you are within the 14 day period of your purchase.
  13. rockyroad55 macrumors 601


    Jul 14, 2010
    Phila, PA
    I'm fairly certain the 4000 currently powers the screen in the retina MBP.
  14. ghellquist macrumors regular

    Aug 21, 2011
    Stockholm Sweden
    Return it and wait

    I believe the best strategy is to always wait and never update. I know for certain that the 2014 version will be much better and also sell at a lower price. So if possible, return the machine and invest the money wisely.

    (Sorry, but the truth is that there will always come a better model in the future, which does not help as I need my machine now).

    // Gunnar
  15. Glockron macrumors member

    Jun 16, 2012
    I don't see a 13" retina machine happening anytime soon. I just don't think there's enough room in the body for it. Keep in mind that the only things they can remove from the 15" RMBP to slim it to 13" are:

    Battery size
    Dedicated GPU
    Quad core GPU

    There's no way they can put everything from the rMBP in a 13" enclosure. So you're either stuck with a tiny battery, internal GPU which would be too weak to run a retina display, or a dual core CPU.
  16. ohbrilliance macrumors 6502a


    May 15, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    That and the 13" rMBP will only have 80% of the pixels of the 15". This should help with graphics performance.
  17. ixodes macrumors 601


    Jan 11, 2012
    Pacific Coast, USA
    Sage advice, and the best option in my opinion.
  18. stchman macrumors 6502a

    Jul 16, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    90%, more like 99.5%. The Nvidia card only turns on when a database of applications tells the card to tun on.
  19. LYFK macrumors regular

    Oct 24, 2007
    I'm in the same boat. While I am somewhat upset that I couldn't afford to wait a few more months, I'm still very impressed with the performance/portability of the MBA. There's really very little to complain about, it's just all relative. When Oct hits, I am going to be quite jealous of all those 13" rMBPs floating around, but that won't make my computer any less useful!

    So I've decided to wait until next summer to see if I feel like selling the MBA and moving up to either the 13" rMBP or the 2013 MBA. If they both happen to have Retina screens, I'll feel like a kid in a candy store :D
  20. pilotkid macrumors 6502a

    Aug 22, 2006
    Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
    Not the biggest problem. Take care of your Air and keep it in like new condition and sell it on eBay when/if the 13" Retina comes out. Yes, you'll still be out some money but not all the full cost of the Pro. I do this a lot and it works great. I constantly get new laptops for four and five hundred bucks as appose to spending thousands, which I couldn't afford.
  21. ek9max thread starter macrumors regular

    Feb 22, 2011
    Makes sense. I do the same thing with my iphones and ipads.
  22. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

    PBG4 Dude

    Jul 6, 2007
    I hold on to my tech too long for it to be worth anything when I'm done with it. Anyone want a 2006 Rev A CoreDuo whitebook? Yea, didn't think so LOL. :) I got one offer for $50 for it anyway. :p

    I still have my 2007 iPhone on iOS 3.13 and while it's a bit beat up it still has enough juice to play games for my son. :)
  23. LYFK macrumors regular

    Oct 24, 2007
    I wonder how many of these returned MBAs are going into refurb? :D
  24. Alameda macrumors 6502a


    Jun 22, 2012
    You're upset because someday Apple will build a computer better than the one you bought. You better return your MacBook Air and don't buy another computer ever.
  25. tdhurst macrumors 601


    Dec 27, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ

    And the battery life will be severely tested by a retina display.

    I totally get the 15" rMBP when compared to an MBA, but the 13" models (MBP and MBA) have major differences.

Share This Page