Arg! Wish i never bought my MBA....

ek9max

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Been hearing rumours about the 13.3" macbook pro retina....

I would love that product but I just bought the 2012 MBA 13.3" because the 15" MBP retina was too big.....

Little disappointed so I thought I would vent on the forums.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Elk Grove, CA
IDK if the HD4000 will be very good on a retina display, seems like it would have graphical glitches pushing that many pixels. Unless apple adds a dedicated gfx card which is doubtful, I'd wait for the HD5000 or whatever the next intel HD gfx are... just sayin :rolleyes:

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
if it his USB 3.0 I will trade you for my because my doesn't have it but 2.0 only.

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland

I would love that product but I just bought the 2012 MBA 13.3" because the 15" MBP retina was too big.....

That's why I send back the 13.3" I've ordered a few weeks ago... It's a great notebook and I would have been more than happy with it, but it is not an urgent purchase. I'm looking forward to the Apple event and hopefully they'll unveil it... or at least give a "decent estimate" on it's availability ( like this year December before Xmas ).

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
I don't see why a 13" retina MBP will necessarily be that much better than a mid-2012 MBA - it won't have a dedicated GPU, it probably won't have quad core CPUs and it will still be thicker and heavier than a MBA... It will also likely be more expensive. I'm still very happy with my mid-2012 i7 MBA purchase, even though the i7 is still somewhat nerfed under Windows, though there are workarounds for this.

Ricanlegend

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
Bronx,Ny

Just return it within 14 days For a full refund, there's nothing worse than having buyer remorse. There's a very slim chance a 13 retina will come out this year maybe next year when intel release haswell this what am waiting for :)

Barna Biro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2011
Zug, Switzerland
I don't see why a 13" retina MBP will necessarily be that much better than a mid-2012 MBA - it won't have a dedicated GPU, it probably won't have quad core CPUs and it will still be thicker and heavier than a MBA... It will also likely be more expensive. I'm still very happy with my mid-2012 i7 MBA purchase, even though the i7 is still somewhat nerfed under Windows, though there are workarounds for this.
While I do agree that the mid-2012 MBA is a wonderful machine, I wouldn't necessarily say that there won't be any difference. It might be that we won't see any dedicated GPU in a possible rMBP 13", but the screen will most likely ( finally ) be and IPS panel. I tend to believe that the CPU will be a quad core and not ULV and maybe the notebook will be upgradable to 16GB of memory.

... Of course all this is just assumption, but let's not just pull the plug on it prematurely.
Things can still go both ways... maybe it will disappoint, maybe not.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
This..!!

Hold onto it till the 13" Retina is announced then sell it
Apple products retain their value so well, any loss in value when you sell it later you can think of as a rental fee for the earlier product until the one you really want comes out. Never wait, you won't ever lose a bunch of money and in the meantime you'll get to enjoy what is most likely still a very good product today, it's a win-win.

asting

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
IDK if the HD4000 will be very good on a retina display, seems like it would have graphical glitches pushing that many pixels. Unless apple adds a dedicated gfx card which is doubtful, I'd wait for the HD5000 or whatever the next intel HD gfx are... just sayin :rolleyes:
Except 90% of the time the hd4000 powers the display in the mbpr. This is a seriously flawed argument.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Use it, enjoy it, and when the 13" MBP is announced, sell it and put the proceeds towards the MBP.

Your other option is to return it, if you are within the 14 day period of your purchase.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I'm fairly certain the 4000 currently powers the screen in the retina MBP.

ghellquist

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2011
Stockholm Sweden
Return it and wait

I believe the best strategy is to always wait and never update. I know for certain that the 2014 version will be much better and also sell at a lower price. So if possible, return the machine and invest the money wisely.

(Sorry, but the truth is that there will always come a better model in the future, which does not help as I need my machine now).

// Gunnar

Glockron

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2012
I don't see a 13" retina machine happening anytime soon. I just don't think there's enough room in the body for it. Keep in mind that the only things they can remove from the 15" RMBP to slim it to 13" are:

Battery size
Dedicated GPU
Quad core GPU

There's no way they can put everything from the rMBP in a 13" enclosure. So you're either stuck with a tiny battery, internal GPU which would be too weak to run a retina display, or a dual core CPU.

LYFK

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2007

I'm in the same boat. While I am somewhat upset that I couldn't afford to wait a few more months, I'm still very impressed with the performance/portability of the MBA. There's really very little to complain about, it's just all relative. When Oct hits, I am going to be quite jealous of all those 13" rMBPs floating around, but that won't make my computer any less useful!

So I've decided to wait until next summer to see if I feel like selling the MBA and moving up to either the 13" rMBP or the 2013 MBA. If they both happen to have Retina screens, I'll feel like a kid in a candy store :D

pilotkid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
Chandler, AZ/Chicago, IL
Not the biggest problem. Take care of your Air and keep it in like new condition and sell it on eBay when/if the 13" Retina comes out. Yes, you'll still be out some money but not all the full cost of the Pro. I do this a lot and it works great. I constantly get new laptops for four and five hundred bucks as appose to spending thousands, which I couldn't afford.

ek9max

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Not the biggest problem. Take care of your Air and keep it in like new condition and sell it on eBay when/if the 13" Retina comes out. Yes, you'll still be out some money but not all the full cost of the Pro. I do this a lot and it works great. I constantly get new laptops for four and five hundred bucks as appose to spending thousands, which I couldn't afford.
Makes sense. I do the same thing with my iphones and ipads.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 68030
Jul 6, 2007
Makes sense. I do the same thing with my iphones and ipads.
I hold on to my tech too long for it to be worth anything when I'm done with it. Anyone want a 2006 Rev A CoreDuo whitebook? Yea, didn't think so LOL. :) I got one offer for $50 for it anyway. :p

I still have my 2007 iPhone on iOS 3.13 and while it's a bit beat up it still has enough juice to play games for my son. :)

Alameda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2012
You're upset because someday Apple will build a computer better than the one you bought. You better return your MacBook Air and don't buy another computer ever.

tdhurst

macrumors 601
Dec 27, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
And...

And the battery life will be severely tested by a retina display.

I totally get the 15" rMBP when compared to an MBA, but the 13" models (MBP and MBA) have major differences.