Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
For the past month, our internet service was patchy. During the day it would not work and at night it would. We have been calling them on and off saying how it was on their end, etc because it always is. They tell us it could be our modem since it is an ancient one( had it since we got the service some years back). So today the guy is supposed to come, but then we get a phone call saying that a problem affecting the area has been fixed and could have caused our problems....... It seems like it has since I have internet right now and it would normally be out by now...... Comcast could have told us there was a problem in our area they were trying to fix( for a month :mad: ) instead of insisting it was on our end.

I hate having no alternatives as I hear Verizon is just as bad........

sithshake

macrumors newbie
omg i kno exactly wat u mean!!! our cabel has been down for god know how long, same company.... the internet is slow, i am really pissed because it was raining, alot in ga. i thought that was it.. now its sunny as hell, and the cabel is still down, my mac wont connect barely, its just utter bullcrap. i feel ya bro

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
And this is great news to hear as I am going to have to buy Comcast internet for my new apartment!

Yes, I have heard that Comcast really isn't that great

wvuwhat

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2007
Comcast is the WORST company I've ever personally dealt with. There are literally 20 things that I can say they screwed up on. Moral of the story...now that I'm out of college and I don't HAVE to have them I have moved to Fios and I really like it for now. We'll see how that works out, if not I'll move on to Dish for their TurboHD packages.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I have Verizon (dsl not fios) and I've been pretty pleased with their support. I went through a stretch where my DSL connection was dropping and they worked hard at fixing the problem - came to find out my DSL modem went south but all in all, I don't think they sux

nobunaga209

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
TX
I hate AT&T with a burning passion, yet I have them as my ISP. Why? Because my only other alternative is Comcast. That's what I think about Comcast.

+1; I made the "switch" from the Comies to the other Axis of Evil at ATT DSL. It is what it is I guess...most Stateside ISP's blow from what I've heard tho. :mad:

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
For the past month, our internet service was patchy. During the day it would not work and at night it would. We have been calling them on and off saying how it was on their end, etc because it always is. They tell us it could be our modem since it is an ancient one( had it since we got the service some years back). So today the guy is supposed to come, but then we get a phone call saying that a problem affecting the area has been fixed and could have caused our problems....... It seems like it has since I have internet right now and it would normally be out by now...... Comcast could have told us there was a problem in our area they were trying to fix( for a month :mad: ) instead of insisting it was on our end.

Aww man, that sucks. I have had good relationship with Cox, they just recently bumped me to 20 Mb/s (down 10ish Mb/s up) just because I bundled my TV service with them. Needless to say service is *very* reliable.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
+1; I made the "switch" from the Comies to the other Axis of Evil at ATT DSL. It is what it is I guess...most Stateside ISP's blow from what I've heard tho. :mad:

Yeah, in my experience most ISPs stink. Honestly, though, AT&T isn't that bad as far as reliability, but their customer service is terrible. My service has very rarely gone out, but when there is a problem I dread calling them. I can't get them to understand that I do this stuff on a daily basis, and if I am calling them, I have been through steps 1-20 in their little troubleshooting guide, and some stuff they have never heard of. Usually, if I start spouting technospeak at the level 1 people, they will transfer me to a level 2 or better person.

Here is an example of their wonderful customer service: We have a bunch of circuits at our remote sites, all through AT&T. One of our techs was onsite after a storm, and he found the T1 Smartjack (CSU/DSU) had been fried by lightning. Our tech called in the dead circuit, and asked them to dispatch someone to replace their equipment. The AT&T rep said they were able to see the equipment, and they were looping it, and there was no reason to dispatch. After our tech pointed out that they must have some of the toughest network equipment in the world to survive a direct lightning hit and STILL pass traffic, they changed their tune. Had this been the first time, I might have understood, but it wasn't.

I did have an ISP once that was pretty decent. CableOne is a smallish cable/internet company. Their service was good, and their support was actually helpful. Sadly, they aren't very widespread.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
A bump with a new issue stemming to the Verizon sucks too...... Last night we lost our phones. Mom called Verizon today, and they said it will be three weeks until they can get a person over here. Obviously pissed( and rightfully so), my mom inquired why it would take so long. The Reps response? "Well you do understand we have other people wanting to install a new phone jack and new customers to setup right?" :eek: So they would prioritize customers just wanting a new phone jack and new customers switching over over a current customer that has absolutely zero phone service....... At least Comcast could send a person over the next day every time we called and complained.........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.