argumentative paper

Grassgreen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
I´m writing a argumentative paper for my class. I´m doing my research and trying to find a subject that is interesting but not too broad, it can be about anything. Any ideas?

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68020
Jan 31, 2015
Boston
As others have mentioned, something that interests you or that you have some exposure to is definitely the easiest thing to do.

Is this paper required to use citations with peer reviewed research (statistically significant data observed in well designed experiments), or simply based on opinions?

If the assignment wants evidence, the case iOS vs Android would be a little trickier, because it's highly subjective and many variables (such as phone models/brands and usage).

If you did something like the overprescription of antibiotics or antidepressants or antipsychotics... Or debating pro-vaccinations, you could find plenty of research on that very easily.

Is this high school or college?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I´m writing a argumentative paper for my class. I´m doing my research and trying to find a subject that is interesting but not too broad, it can be about anything. Any ideas?
It might help if we knew what the class actually is, what the 'argumentative paper' is designed to do, or what level it is at.

In your original post, you have given absolutely no information that might be of help, or relevance, in assisting you.

Now, tell us what the subject matter that you are studying is, and what you yo are studying it at. Also, letting us know who your audience will be might be useful, as well.

No you're not.
Exactly. My sense is that the OP wants the forum to do the work - mental, philosophical, factual and rhetorical - for him.

Reactions: Meister

Grassgreen

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 2, 2013
@goldberg the paper is for a writing class. The last paper was a bad choice because the subject was way broad and hard to tackle.. It can be about anything, which gives freedom, but it needs a minimum of 5 scholarly references, which narrows it to subjects that have been researched, which again can be a lot because people will study anything:D

@D.T. that video was genius! :p

edit: I´m looking for ideas, pitches. We were encouraged to seek out others, and I´m not trying to unload my work on you guys..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
@goldberg the paper is for a writing class. The last paper was a bad choice because the subject was way broad and hard to tackle.. It can be about anything, which gives freedom, but it needs a minimum of 5 scholarly references, which narrows it to subjects that have been researched, which again can be a lot because people will study anything:D

@D.T. that video was genius! :p

edit: I´m looking for ideas, pitches. We were encouraged to seek out others, and I´m not trying to unload my work on you guys..
University, or high school?

How long is the paper/presentation to be?

What areas within that do you study, or have an interest in? (You will argue better - or make a better case orally or in writing - if you know a bit about and care a bit about what you are talking about).

Reactions: Meister

oneMadRssn

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2011
New England
I sometimes find it more fun and more academically satisfying to argue the opposite view of what I actually believe. For example, I'm politically left-leaning, but I wrote some papers in school arguing for some pretty conservative ideas. Fleshing out the opposite view-point is a great way to learn more about your own view point.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I sometimes find it more fun and more academically satisfying to argue the opposite view of what I actually believe. For example, I'm politically left-leaning, but I wrote some papers in school arguing for some pretty conservative ideas. Fleshing out the opposite view-point is a great way to learn more about your own view point.
Fair enough. And I actually agree with you. Arguing against what one believes is a brilliant way of honing one's mental reflexes, (and testing the strength, or logic, of one's own position), and agreed, academically, it can be very satisfying. But that is for a seasoned debater, not a novice.

Besides, nothing the OP has said has suggested an over-riding interest in - or thought about - any topic.

Reactions: A.Goldberg

63dot

macrumors 603
Jun 12, 2006
norcal
Argue why a smartphone takes up more time than it saves, or vice versa.

I have been pondering this since I have seen computer repair shops close down and iPhone repair shops pop up. I spent years learning my trade in PC/computer/networking only to see it become obsolete much the same way experts with slide rules, engineering degrees/math, and vacuum tubes became obsolete in the computer repair/information technology industry. Smartphones are the in thing for technology, no doubt, but on the user side has the propagation of smartphones been a time saving technology or something that takes up more time than it's worth.

Is it really worth it for you to stop what you are doing to find out if and how many Oscar nominations the original Rocky movie had? Does it matter if Blake spilled the beans today about Gwen? Does it matter what the ultrasound came up with regarding Kim Kardashian's second baby? Questions like these that come up in conversation don't need an instant answer but I suspect non-essential information is a lot of what smartphones do. Are smartphones making our roads too dangerous? Have smartphones caused a whole generation of people to lose their ability to communicate as humans? Is the cost worth it and what is the "cost" of a smartphone? And back to the original question if the time using the thing worth it? etc.

Last edited:

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
University, or high school?

How long is the paper/presentation to be?

What areas within that do you study, or have an interest in? (You will argue better - or make a better case orally or in writing - if you know a bit about and care a bit about what you are talking about).
I second this.

More info is needed since approaches can vary greatly.