Armadillo Case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Hervboo, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Hervboo macrumors member

Hervboo

2. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

It looks like a case that was aborted half-way through the milling process.
    Oy.

3. DeathProof macrumors member

DeathProof

It looks like if it can't decide if it wanted to be a bumper or a protective case.

4. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

5. Cynikal.Mindset macrumors 6502a

6. chanerz macrumors 6502a

Not for me. I thought it would look literrally like armadillo:p

7. maverick86 macrumors 6502a

8. beedish macrumors member

Pretty not good. Looks like the designers were conflicted in the type of the case they wanted to make. I'm not sure how the phone stays in there? Slide in....then what? slide out?

9. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Doesn't look like anything I would consider buying.

In fact, I really don't see the appeal of any of the aluminum cases....

10. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

Looks good from the front, but bad from the back.

11. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Please stop with these hideous aluminum/milled/metal cases.

12. treeoflife macrumors member

13. wilbur444 macrumors newbie

I actually just got mine, The back frames the Apple and iPhone logos really well. It also allows for a nice area to customize the case. The Rain Tunnel example on the site is mine.

the center "i-beam" lends strength to the design and allows a place for the felt pressure pad to push against the phone to secure it in the case.

The bottom and the top opening are huge to allow for whatever I want to plug in, and it looks sweet in person.

The color choices are nice and the owner will do custom colors also if you are willing to wait a couple weeks.

I'm really happy with mine FWIW....

But heh, If you wanna wrap your $800 phone in a $40 piece of plastic from China, don't let me stop you...

14. johnnybgood15 macrumors 6502

Ok Wilbur, or should I say armadillo case owner/employee, 1 post and it happens to be defending this FUGLY case no one likes.

15. wilbur444 macrumors newbie

Call it whatever you like, I like mine. My company is Rain Tunnel, just like the logo says. Check out my site if you like.... www.raintunnel.com.

I could care less if you buy one or not. I got mine and did a google search and ended up here.

I figured someone might have an interest in an opinion from someone who has one in their hand.

Sorry I shared with you. I'm sure I'll be back to this forum often. Seems like a great open friendly environment.

16. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Can you post some pics of yours please? I'd like to see more than what's on the website.

17. wilbur444 macrumors newbie

I'll put some pics up tomorrow, going out to the jacuzzi now :)

18. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

yOyOYoo

People are paranoid around here. You have to admit it does look very suspicious when you join macrumors this month, make 3 posts, and all 3 posts are related to this new aluminum case, which no one else has heard of. I'm just saying...

19. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Since we've had many owners actually doing the same exact thing, members here will jump on every suspicious claim naturally. I myself think it's pretty low to falsely say that you're a customer when you're not..

From my knowledge of all these aluminum cases is that most of them will not even provide a decent amount of protection to your iPhone, only looks and no protection. You can clearly see that there is no padding or lining on those cases which should raise a red flag to anyone with a bit of common sense..

20. candoal macrumors newbie

I've just typed the following in another related thread, copy 'n pasted for your pleasure:

"I've read somewhere on the board where someone asked, "What needs more protection? What's easier to break? Glass or the Stainless Steel Band" I agree and asks: What is the point? Metal on metal? Aluminum is softer than steel, if you drop it i'll ding like no other or transfer the energy to the phone and shatter the glass. If you just want to stand out, then a sticker (those fugly printed ones you see everywhere) will do just as much a job, and without yelling out "I'm a wanker" :rolleyes: Sorry, it just don't make any sense… well the drama is the only fun part :D "

My sentiment FWIW

21. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

It may be worth mention, I reached out to armadillocase to see if I could do a vid review of a demo piece or something...the response I got back was that any speed issues are the result of problems with the speedtest app and AT&T network, and have nothing to do with HIS aluminum cases.

So without even seeing that there's issues, he's already getting defensive? Wow...that's the fastest I've ever seen somebody go from zero to "THE OTHERS MAY SUCK BUT MINE WORKS I TELL YOU IT WORKS I RULE YOU SUCK I ROCK!".

22. Armadillocase macrumors newbie

Dear MacRumors forum members,
    I would be happy to discuss the merits and or limitations of my phone case. My email is on the site and I am happy to answer any questions you might have.

I've been watching this thread and I was planning on staying out of it and letting it run it's course. However, when someone posts things that are untrue it really upsets me.

I received an email from (Big Habeeb) this morning. I'll post it below:

Armadillo-case team,

I've been starting to collect and test/vid review aluminum cases to help sort through what will and wont work for those of us in less than exemplary signal strength areas. Would you be interested in having one done? The only thing that I would ask is for a unit to test (either as a loan, or as a thanks for doing the review - I leave that up to you). Please let me know if you would be interested in having a review done.

Previous examples of my work can be found at:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpCGkQRU32g
    <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpCGkQRU32g> and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwaM3zq0vCI

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwaM3zq0vCI> Thanks for your time,

Here is my response:

Thanks for your interest in our product. I watched your review videos and ran the same app speed test by Extreme labs on my phone in and out of the case. I question the apps reliability and AT&T’s network consistency. Below are the numbers I received with the case on and off of the phone in 2 different locations in my house:

The first # is average second is max
    Bathroom:
    Case on D/L 183-204 U/L 366/366
    Case off D/L 351/396 U/L 522/522

Kitchen:
    Case on D/L 1784/1784 U/L 489/489
    Case off D/L789/874 U/L 489/489

The numbers below are not reversed, I showed a halving of my signal in the bathroom and a doubling in the kitchen with the case on. The U/L speeds are not consistent and should not be higher than D/L in any instance.

The ability to U/L and D/L to the network is a function of the number of people on the cell that you are accessing as well as other environmental factors. Both of these tests were run one after another.

I would not have released the case if it made it miserable to use my phone. The truth is AT&T’s network is so bad that it is very difficult to assess where the problems might lie.

As you can clearly see, I am not defensive, I didn't say that there are or are not issues with my phone case. I did not refer to anyone elses case or say mine was any better. I merely stated that the method in which bighabeeb is "testing" may have some consistency issues. If bighabeeb were to run the same test 25 times in the same location over an extended period and average that data, it might hold water.

I have been asked by 30 different people in the last 2 days for "samples" and items to "review". Before we launched I sent out some samples and those reviews should show up some time soon (out of my control).

If you watch the "reviews" done by bighabeeb they seem to concentrate on watching bighabeeb and the issues bighabeeb has with the cases he is reviewing. There are very few views of the reviews and it does not make business sense for me to ship free product somewhere that there will be limited exposure.

I stand behind my products and offer a no hassle 14 day return policy. If for any reason you aren''t satisfied with the case, send it back and I'l refund your $. You can't really beat that. Try one out and if you don't like it it cost you $10 in shipping.

We offer custom logo's for a very reasonable fee and (currently) have product in stock that is shipping.

The merits of the case are outlined on the site. It ships with a felt pad attached that applies pressure to the phone to keep it secure. If you would like a tighter fit there is a self-adhesive cork pad as well.

The case works with a standard screen protector, however, it will not work with the ZAGG invisible shield protector that goes on the front and back. It is too thick.

I've dropped my phone 4 times from 6' with the prototype on it. I have 2 cracked corners that are not visible with the cover on. I think that there is definitely some protection afforded.

info@armadillocase.com

23. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

I'll take the pepsi challenge with that any day of the week Armadillo. I've run that same test on my phone and my wife's phone with various cases at various times. I receive consistantly poorer numbers on them with the cases I've reviewed.

That having been said, I dont particularly give a flying fig if you send me a case to review or not. In light of the fact that your case just came out on the market, it seemed to me that having someone who the folks here know isn't related to you or your company put a review out there would only BENEFIT you. Show me a video of you dropping a phone from 6' and it still working, and video of your reception not dying (mind you, in a mediocre reception area) and I'll eat my words and be the first in line to buy one of your cases.

Until I see that, you're just another dude who's decided to wrap an iphone 4 in aluminum because it looks good, and damn the consequences of it.

Yes, I consider shifting blame from aluminum to AT&Ts network and the application speedtest in general to be a pretty defensive act, in light of the fact that it is well documented that aluminum causes drop off when it contacts the iphone's antenna.

I would also humbly ask that you remove my ACTUAL name from these posts. There's a reason that I use a nickname both here and on youtube. If I wanted people I don't know calling me by my name, I'd likely have posted it publicly.

24. Armadillocase macrumors newbie

bighabeeb,

I have edited my post per your request, you will have to edit your quotation of my post.

25. bighabeeb macrumors 6502

Thank you...look forward to seeing reviews!