Army Special Operations Command Reportedly Switching From Android to iPhone

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Jul 18, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The U.S. Army Special Operations Command is looking to switch from Android smartphones for its Tactical Assault Kits to iPhones, according to Military.com's DoDBuzz. The switch away from Android, and specifically Samsung devices, is largely because the devices aren't reliable enough.

[​IMG]
    Specifically, Android will freeze up and apps will fail to refresh properly when viewing split screens with information on them. This forces the user to restart the phone, wasting valuable minutes. The source tells DoDBuzz that the same process is "seamless" on the iPhone and that the graphics are "clear" and "unbelievable."

The Tactical Assault Kits are made up of a system that links a smartphone to a connected network radio, allowing unit leaders to keep track of their own locations and the locations of their troops on a digital map. It's unclear which version of Android or which Samsung device the Army was using in the Tactical Assault Kit. In 2013, the Department of Defense approved the use of iOS devices for military networks.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Army Special Operations Command Reportedly Switching From Android to iPhone

2. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

This is a story that made me smile today.

In all honesty I'm amazed they ever went with Android. It's always had performance implications, so why would you ever take the risk of these glitches affecting operations that can literally mean the difference between life and death?

3. ethanwa79 macrumors regular

4. CarlJ macrumors 68000

CarlJ

I would very much hope they want graphics that are clear and very believable. No pink ponies showing up on the display.
    Ah, that explains Apple's new Find My Troops™ feature in the latest iOS betas.

5. Madd the Sane macrumors 6502

Madd the Sane

It was probably cheaper. For the initial cost. TCOs were probably not thought up when they made the Android decision.

6. krause734 macrumors 6502

krause734

7. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

8. Relentless Power, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016

Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Android software freezing up?? What a shocker. Their software is junk and bloated.

9. dmylrea macrumors 68000

dmylrea

And iPhone support forums are literally ghost towns since they work perfectly, right? :rolleyes:

iPhones have their fair share of bugs, freezes, etc. I have about a dozen long-standing issues that Apple apparently doesn't want to fix.

10. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

I never commented on the iPhone software, only Android. iPhones are not perfect by any means. But there software is way more reliable and consistent then Android. And yes, unfortunately I was an Android user for years. It takes someone to use Android first, to truly appreciate iOS.

11. mcdspncr macrumors regular

mcdspncr

Wonder if this has anything to do with Apple's newly publicized commitment to privacy...

12. akadafni macrumors regular

They already did...the iPhone 5c. Remember the government can't break into it without 3rd party help.

13. LovingTeddy macrumors 6502a

LovingTeddy

The military must use the outdated Android version like 4.0... Otherwise, the military must lack of person who know how to program on Android.

But, iOS might be perfect for military, all these sandbox and wall gardened crap are great for military

14. 2457282 Suspended

Well at Least they did not go with blackberry or windows phones to begin with. That would just have been embarrassing.

15. omihek macrumors regular

omihek

Hear hear... or rather, *their. ;)

16. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

Edited. Thanks.

17. duffman9000, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2016

duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Because it's cheaper? That's not a good reason but cost is always considered.

18. ENDWARO7 macrumors newbie

ENDWARO7

I carry a Galaxy S7 Edge and it freezes more often than my iPhone 6S Plus on Beta. It is a good phone, but iOS is just more stable.

19. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

Or, and I know this sounds extremely unlikely (insane, even!), maybe, just maybe, iOS works better for them?

20. nviz22 macrumors 68040

nviz22

Apple loyalists love articles like these. iOS and Android are imperfect. I have owned both the S7 Edge and 6S Plus. Both have hiccups. Stop putting Apple above all. At some point, they're going to tumble. Be weary about mid range devices having good performance at a fraction of the cost. Windows devices have better RAM management than Android. Android offers cheaper and more flexible connectivity. Apple just offers good customer service these days. Blackberry has a security lineage. No product will be the undisputed one size fit all product right now.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Curious...one of the main issues seems to relate to a use case that isn't even supported at all by the iPhones so far.

22. kuwxman macrumors 6502

kuwxman

I hope you realize iPhone apps crash just as much as Android apps. The main difference is Android alerts you of the crash, iOS does not.

23. EricTheHalfBee Suspended

Source? And fair warning, if you quote one of those stupid Crittercism studies, then you've already lost this argument.

24. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

The Army with their insecure Android phones got tired of constantly being hacked by North Koreans armed with their outdated JellyBean Android phones.

25. iOSFangirl6001 macrumors 6502

iOSFangirl6001

Finally someone saying what I've been saying on Twitter for ages lol

Exactly this ( thumbsup )

Well if they had it probably wouldn't be the 1st nor the last embarrassing decision or thing our government did :rolleyes: