Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
This is a story that made me smile today.

In all honesty I'm amazed they ever went with Android. It's always had performance implications, so why would you ever take the risk of these glitches affecting operations that can literally mean the difference between life and death?

Android is also the most insecure mobile platform available. It's like Windows and you are asking to be hacked due to the lack of app screening in the play store.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
It is interesting that people still buy flagship Android phones that cost the same or more than an iPhone when so many users on this forum warn others of the constant crashing and lagging. Almost like the complaints are exaggerated.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
This is a story that made me smile today.

In all honesty I'm amazed they ever went with Android. It's always had performance implications, so why would you ever take the risk of these glitches affecting operations that can literally mean the difference between life and death?
The company I work for has 250,000 employees across the globe and we are forbidden to use any android device because of "known malware, poor code and Too many variances. " - it's why Apple is allowed and even on the preferred product list.

Reactions: HEK

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Background info:

Years ago, the Army bought about 7,000 Samsung Note 2s to be used as the chest mounted display for the Nett Warrior system.

The Notes were wiped (so no bloatware as some have speculated) and the NSA derived Knox kernel was installed.

Besides having the only approved secure OS at the time, the Note also of course had a large screen. The iOS flagship at the time was the iPhone 5 with a smaller 4" display. Now the rumor is that they intend to buy the newer and larger screen iPhone 6s.

The Android or iOS app has to communicate with the soldier's radio over USB. No cellular, WiFi or Bluetooth allowed. I believe using the USB port on iOS requires getting a MFI license.

The military applications are developed in house by the Army, and at an Air Force Research Lab.

View attachment 640846

That's some great information you shared. One of the most interesting posts on here. Thank you.

MattCalabrese

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2016
Kind of funny how macrumors puts in just enough information to get iPhone fan boys all riled up against android. Also funny how they don't know what Android phone the military is replacing and yet everyone else does. To everyone else, they are replacing the Galaxy Note 2 which is probably running Android Kit Kat at best but probably Jelly Bean. So no wonder that their 4 year old phones, that weren't that awesome to begin with, are not faring very well when compared to a nice new iPhone 6s. I really hope they aren't married to split screen or durability or dust and water resistance. Since no iPhones have any of that.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Except, it's not.

In the years I Was an Android user, it was the worst experience I have ever had. I came from the Galaxy series. Laggy, bloated software with useless Applications, loading times for Apps were horrendous, slow response time
To react what the user was trying to manipulate. Using the camera stock app was a chore, glitchy. Random reboots. Software updates would randomly lock my phone and I had to hard reset it.

Of Course this is all my opinion, and my personal experience with the Galaxy S5. I don't think I need to provide you any resources or citations for my literal examples. There are plenty of threaded forums and sites that discuss these issues that reoccur regularly on these phones.

iOS is not perfect, but I am a firm believer that iOS is far more lucrative, mainstreamed for the user and overall consistent in performance. In my personal valued opinion.

TechGeek76

Suspended
Jul 18, 2016
In the years I Was an Android user, it was the worst experience I have ever had. I came from the Galaxy series. Laggy, bloated software with useless Applications, loading times for Apps were horrendous, slow response time
To react what the user was trying to manipulate. Using the camera stock app was a chore, glitchy. Random reboots. Software updates would randomly lock my phone and I had to hard reset it.

Of Course this is all my opinion, and my personal experience with the Galaxy S5. I don't think I need to provide you any resources or citations for my literal examples. There are plenty of threaded forums and sites that discuss these issues that reoccur regularly on these phones.

iOS is not perfect, but I am a firm believer that iOS is far more lucrative, mainstreamed for the user and overall consistent in performance. In my personal valued opinion.
In your experience. Thanks for clarifying. Many people don't have issues.

Reactions: Avalontor

kdarling

macrumors P6
So no wonder that their 4 year old phones, that weren't that awesome to begin with, are not faring very well when compared to a nice new iPhone 6s.

Yeah, it's like comparing a Note 7 to an iPhone 5, and wondering why a three year newer device is several times quicker.

As for the security comments, the Android used in the Samsung was NSA approved for a much higher usage classification than any iOS device until recently.

Moreover, since it's a closed system project with no normal outside comms, soldiers aren't able to download any outside apps. So that's not a factor either.

It really boils down to the programming skills in use, and several years' difference in hardware. And looking for funds. I suspect that in another three or four years, we'll read about the Army comparing another new device to the current one, and finding it lacking... so another procurement round will be needed :)

Velli

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2013

Good for them. I do.

It's besides the point, but most of the reason I never considered switching my own phone, is simply aesthetics. Android simply looks ugly. And those stating that "ugly" is subjective, are people with no clue on aesthetics, period. The main reason Android is so popular, is that "no clue on aesthetics" includes the majority of potential customers. I know that sounds grossly elitist, but that's the truth.

Gudi

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Except, most people don't have issues. Go figure.
Most people aren't smart enough to understand when they have issues. Like this one comment you liked about the military must use an outdated version of Android. Newer versions are ultimately based upon older versions and inevitable inherit their core problems. Open up the Registry in Windows 10 and it's the same bloated mess, with all kinds of unknown interdependencies, it always was. And it can not be fixed, because this is how Windows works. Fix it and you have created a completely new OS which won't run all the old apps. Faster processors and more memory always helped to hide the performance issues with Windows, but switch to low-power tablets and they come back in form of size, heat, weight and battery life problems. You can't run away from the issues who plagued the first four major Android versions, fragmentation and customization will always cause new problems in the future. To go from no NFC to fingerprint enabled Apple Pay on all phones, you really need absolute control over your platform. Some Android phones are now sold with a free VR headset, but the OS as a whole will never support virtual reality. How could it, if there is no standard hardware configuration to rely on? It's a dead end and it always was.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Most people aren't smart enough to understand when they have issues.

As someone pointed out previously, this goes double for iOS, since it almost always quietly drops the user back to the home screen with no error message whatsoever (the opposite of Android's too verbose warnings).

This is actually quite clever behavior, as the user is often left wondering if it was something they did, and thus tends to put it out of their head.

The only error message that iOS gives quite a bit, is the **&^%$# durned "This page was reloaded" one I get on all my iPads under Safari. Makes me nuts :)

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Correct. My personal experience data. Do you have any data for 'Many People' who don't experience Android issues? Or is it because 'Many people' have only used Android, so they never have experienced iOS to compare? I think once you have both fences, then the feedback arises. And there is no argument, Android intentionally uses bloat ware, which ultimately over time bogs the GPU down, with constant updates.

FactVsOpinion

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2012
Apple loyalists love articles like these. iOS and Android are imperfect. I have owned both the S7 Edge and 6S Plus. Both have hiccups. Stop putting Apple above all. At some point, they're going to tumble. Be weary about mid range devices having good performance at a fraction of the cost. Windows devices have better RAM management than Android. Android offers cheaper and more flexible connectivity. Apple just offers good customer service these days. Blackberry has a security lineage. No product will be the undisputed one size fit all product right now.

And so they're all exactly equal? No ranking is possible? I'll let the military know...

TechGeek76

Suspended
Jul 18, 2016
Correct. My personal experience data. Do you have any data for 'Many People' who don't experience Android issues? Or is it because 'Many people' have only used Android, so they never have experienced iOS to compare? I think once you have both fences, then the feedback arises. And there is no argument, Android intentionally uses bloat ware, which ultimately over time bogs the GPU down, with constant updates.
Android intentionally installs bloatware which bogs down the CPU? Oh boy...... Wow.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Android intentionally installs bloatware which bogs down the CPU? Oh boy...... Wow.

Ahh. There it is. Wiggle room to not answer the questions the first time and avoid providing stats for 'Not everyone' and you choose to defend their bloat ware?. Please answer the questions this time. Thanks.

TechGeek76

Suspended
Jul 18, 2016
Ahh. There it is. Wiggle room to not answer the questions the first time and avoid providing stats for 'Not everyone' and you choose to defend their bloat ware?. Please answer the questions this time. Thanks.
Nothing to answer, there are millions and millions of people who don't have an issue, and using your personal experience as a way to bash Android as a whole, not going to fly. Have a great day.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Nothing to answer, there are millions and millions of people who don't have an issue, and using your personal experience as a way to bash Android as a whole, not going to fly. Have a great day.

Oh ok. No stats or credible source from you then. Gotcha. Says a lot about the validity of your posts. And my experience with Android was dismal, I made no hatred comments of any kind, strictly my personal observances and dismay. And I made this clear by stating MY personal experience.

TechGeek76

Suspended
Jul 18, 2016
Oh ok. No stats or credible source from you then. Gotcha. Says a lot about the validity of your posts. And my experience with Android was dismal, I made no hatred comments of any kind, strictly my personal observances and dismay. And I made this clear by stating MY personal experience.
And using YOUR experience to bash Android as a whole, again, isn't going to fly. I don't need to provide statistics. It's as if you're trying to claim everyone who uses Android has had the problems you had. And that certainly isn't going to pass any test of validity.

Don't bother replying as this conversation has run it's course. The agenda is very obvious.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
And using YOUR experience to bash Android as a whole, again, isn't going to fly. I don't need to provide statistics. It's as if you're trying to claim everyone who uses Android has had the problems you had. And that certainly isn't going to pass any test of validity.

Don't bother replying as this conversation has run it's course. The agenda is very obvious.

Wrong. Sounds like a moderator needs to review your posts, because your not following the policy on this website. You don't have the authority to dictate to anyone when and when not to reply. I rated my displeasure with android strictly based on my views, there was no bashing, it was strictly personal user experience with my concerns. I never once spoke for anyone else.

You never answered any questions, I simply was trying to have a conversation with you about Android and you constantly back hand every remark with no substantial evidence. Why your acting like this is beyond me. Your on an opinionated website. If you make a claim and don't elaborate on your remark, it opens up for discussions, in your case, getting called out.

melendezest

Suspended
Jan 28, 2010
As a former military member I'll be looking at this decision with great interest over the long-term, to see if there were any real benefits to using iOS in the end. iOS certainly is smoother in feel than my Note5. But that's it.

It seems odd that the military is going with the Apple 'my way or the highway' concept instead of Android's more 'flexible' model, but I know little of MDM aside from my company ITS department disliking Apple devices with a passion.

Personally, I can't use iOS, despite its purported stability, particularly due to its (comparative) hardware limitations.

But this could be a big win for Apple (if it actually happens), and perhaps will allow for a bit more 'openness' once the military starts making requests or demands to Apple.
[doublepost=1468957510][/doublepost]
ROFLMAO. I am planning on trading in my 6SPlus for a Note7 but I've been warned enough about Windows Phone and Android phones to keep my SE as my daily driver. iOS has been very reliable.

Well, I personally like to test things, concepts, or ideas myself before I make a decision for or against.

Give the Note7 a whirl, and if you don't like it, switch back. Simple.

I LOVE my Note5, so going iOS is a step backward, period.

I NEED the app switcher, back buttons, and stylus (for when websites have targets that are too small to finger), and the flexibility Android provides.

Going to a single-button device would KILL ME, and iOS is just too locked down for me still.

bent christian

Suspended
Nov 5, 2015

Strange. I don't have any of these problems with my $60 Android phone. Sounds like user error.
[doublepost=1468958014][/doublepost]
Android intentionally uses bloat ware, which ultimately over time bogs the GPU down, with constant updates.

That's why I spend 20 seconds unlocking my Android phone when I first buy it. At that point, I can uninstall anything I want.

Reactions: TechGeek76

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Strange. I don't have any of these problems with my $60 Android phone. Sounds like user error.
[doublepost=1468958014][/doublepost]

That's why I spend 20 seconds unlocking my Android phone when I first buy it. At that point, I can uninstall anything I want.
Or sounds like people can have different issues (or not have different issues), especially given all kinds of different hardware and even software combinations (given that Android has quite a few different flavors from different manufacturers that also often enough have different things from different carriers on them).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.