Around When?!?!?!?!?! New iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i1alian085, May 3, 2009.

1. i1alian085 macrumors member

I understand apple is secretive.

I understand that no one really knows for sure.

What I am asking is, when the previous iphone 3g came out - how soon (how many months, weeks, days) before it went public did we know about it on the rumor websites.

All I am reading are about distributors sending out x amount of chips, and cameras. The rumor mill is churning.

Should we expect to see something in May for a June release?

Should we expect to see something in June for June release?

June for July? July for July?

Anyone have any ideas from the previous releases.

Thanks!

2. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The rumor mill is much quieter than it was last year at the same time (there's a thread in this forum about that). Expect to find out more at WWDC in early June, but likely rumors also between now and then. If you go off the quietness of the rumor mill, it could be that it's more likely to be an announcement at WWDC, and then several weeks before actual release.
    For more details, hit the archive / MRoogle / Google macrumors.com and your search terms.

3. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

could it be that the update to 3G was a big thing and also predictable and therefore there were many rumors? this time i guess there is only a smaller upgrade so no reason for big rumors.

4. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

as in.....just the OS 3 software.....no hardware (new phone) rumors?

I was under the impression that there would be a new phone coming out - not just the OS

5. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

The actual 3G hardware update (being able to get 3G rather than just Edge) was one of the smallest things in retrospect - in comparison to what else they brought out/announced. The OS update is big - how Apple will time it is up for grabs.
    The hardware upgrade will likely be bigger this year i'd say. We'll see.

6. Hot Snowboarder macrumors 6502

Around WWDC.

I'm hoping they'll at least announce there, then release in the following weeks.

Still haven't got an iPhone, can't wait for this update. I'll be first (or at least in the first million :p) in line.

7. ataboc macrumors 6502

i'm right there with you. i'm finally able to upgrade in march and now i have to wait longer!

8. i1alian085 thread starter macrumors member

i dont know what is worse.

having to wait to get an iphone initially...
    or already having one.

i would say getting one initially. i have been waiting for so long!

9. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Well, of course, having something is better then nothing. I know I'll be selling my 7 month old 3G on ebay and then put that toward the full price that AT&T will make me pay for the new iphone this summer (if it comes..) since I'm not eligible for an upgrade and since I dont want to open another line.

10. DiSFLyLaTiNa macrumors regular

i talked to an AT&T rep today who said it's only a software update and they're not getting any new iphones..

so do you guys think it's true? these new iphone rumors are just rumors?

11. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

They will tell you what they think will get you to buy now!

12. iGeRmAn macrumors regular

In additon to that i think Apple can't afford leaving all the first generation buyers in the rain. Contracts are going to expire and people need a good reason to go on with another 2 years in AT&T's greedy claws. Hoping they just would make the step upgrading to a 3G to gain access to 3g-networking and GPS will not make the deal imo. Apple want's to make money and they will by presenting a new device. Besides it is about time to wipe the floor once again with the competitors and their so called iPhone-Killers :D

Best regards

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I don't know what would have indicated to you that Apple would be upgrading the hardware this year (there hasn't ever been any real evidence). The chances are high that the only upgrade (although certainly not insignificant) will be the 3.0 OS.

14. bradenwh macrumors 6502

I dunno. Maybe all the parts Apple has been ordering. Or the fact that Apple has annual hardware releases for products.

Of course, there's no rock hard evidence there's going to be a hardware upgrade. But with the Palm Pre and other competition, Apple will have to step up its game.
    There's a very high chance that there will be new hardware this summer.

15. milani macrumors 68000

milani

You have cited the same weak evidence that's been thrown around for a while now. All I can say is that with 30 days to go, it's looking pretty weak for the June iPhone hardware update... :eek:

16. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

17. jarjarblinks macrumors 6502

jarjarblinks

Following the reports on MR's regarding hardware orders and shipments for the "new iPhone", I think its still too early to expect a new iPhone this summer. But Apple has tended to surprise, no? At least an announcement will be good rather than a news release 1 week prior. Something to look forward to in that aspect.

18. iSaygoodbye macrumors 6502a

iSaygoodbye

please sir,use more question marks and exclamtion points

19. bigchief macrumors 6502a

I think it would be in Apple's best interest to anounce there will be no hardware upgrade this summer if there is not going to be an upgrade. There are a lot of people waiting on that including myself.

20. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I agree.
    If all I am offered is to upgrade from my 1st Gen iPhone to a "current" 3G one I'll stick with the original.
    Works fine.

So hopefully Apple will add some incentive hardware wise.

21. milani macrumors 68000

milani

I agree completely. It would be in Apple's interest to be less discreet about a lot of what they do - especially for their shareholders, who are subject to sporadic fluctuations in share prices precisely because Apple's secretive nature attracts ridiculous, baseless rumors (not to say that baseless rumors don't benefit Apple in other ways, which is probably why Steve continues to operate the company as he does).

22. herodotus macrumors newbie

Surely it is in Apple’s interests to keep secretive on this one (maybe more so than previous years), they must be enjoying the hype being generated on forums such as this and are quite happy to let it build and build.

If Apple is serious about making a significant impact in the smartphone market then it is almost imperative that they introduce a new version (or versions) of the iPhone this summer, or at least this year. The recent data on the bestselling smartphones from the NPD Group only further confirms this; BlackBerry is dominating the market in this respect due to its greater market penetration and this must be the next target for Apple.

The rather flimsy rumours that have been cited so far, for example the shipping of new parts, would only point to a new release from Apple whether it comes in the form of the iPhone as we know it now or some other form of hardware. Apple will want more than anything (considering they only operate on one carrier both in the U.S. and the U.K.) to keep the customers who signed up for the first gen iPhone and this would coincide nicely with the expiry of their contracts. A 2 year contract renewal and perhaps a hefty handset price will keep Apple’s accounts ticking over nicely.

Finally, correct me if I’m wrong, if the new iPhone OS 3.0 runs its course of betas (8) as the last one did then this would sync up nicely to the beginning of the WWDC in June, and maybe with the release of new hardware!

We can but hope.

23. freddiecable macrumors 6502a

freddiecable

I just sold my 3G iphone in the wait for beginning of june. I feel it in my whole body and soul that new hardware is coming.

I believe and hope  will release a hardware update. I think it is needed too. They need to diversify and my wish is an updated 3.5" iphone and a new release of a 2.8 - 3.0" iphone nano.

24. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Just remember the new iPhone will not be released in June, it will be shown for the first time in June. Actual release will take place in July. This, just like last year, gives them time to complete drop shipments and get people trained on the new hardware.