Arstechnica: iPhone 6 Plus is better than iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hasanahmad, Sep 22, 2014.

1. hasanahmad macrumors 65816

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/09/iphone-6-and-6-plus-in-deep-with-apples-thinnest-phones/

2. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Thanks for the link to the review. Ars Technica, GSMArena, and Anandtech are the three I look forward to the most :)

As for saying the 6+ being "better" in the thread title... yeah right :rolleyes:

I say that because neither one (the 6 or 6+) is "better" than the other, it all comes down to personal taste and comfort which one is better for you individually.

3. turbineseaplane macrumors 68040

turbineseaplane

Ridiculous conclusion.

It's not always about raw power & features specs.

The biggest problem the 6+ can't get away from is that, for a 5.5" screen phone, it's too big.

And for those that value portability (i.e. TONS of iPhone users), the "best" iPhone is the more portable one.

4. wxman2003 Suspended

Do we need all these "validation" threads saying the Plus is better than the 6, or the 6 is better than the Plus? Let me guess, the OP has the 6 Plus and needs validation from a web site to prove to themselves they bought the "best". It's old and getting very old very quickly. :mad:

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Really? Huh. I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years...

6. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

For yourself as a simple spec junkie? perhaps not.

For others who value size and ergonomics >>> higher numbers on a spec sheet? definitely.

7. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Yes. We need them. So that we can keep making the same angry posts denouncing them in order to make ourselves feel more secure in our tenuous security in our own phone size choices.

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Yeah, I guess focusing on the specs is like holding it wrong.

The Apple Reality Distortion Field just doesn't zombify me much.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Phone that costs $100 extra is "better" than other, very similar phone. :eek:

It pretty much depends on whether you want to spend $100 and whether you want a phone that big. I looked at my iPhone 5s compared to my friend's Galaxy S4. I'm really fine with that. When it gets larger, I might as well just bust out my iPad.

Now if you want a single device, the iPhone 6 Plus isn't bad. I'm curious as to whether certain things like textbooks would be available on it, which is something I use my iPad Air for. But I can see using it as The One Device.

10. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

Can you give some other examples of purchases where ergonomics have trumped specs for you? Just curious.

11. Vihzel macrumors 6502

The thread title is incorrect. Arstechnica isn't flat out stating that the 6 Plus is better than the 6 as the word "best" is in quotations implying that it may be best in regards to technical specifications and features but may not be best in terms of user experience and comfort.

12. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Sure, you might have heard of it before... it's called the MacBook Air ;)

Like I said for you it's probably not wrong to focus on specs, for many other Apple users though we've grown accustomed to valuing other more important things beyond just the #s.

13. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Which model? The one without USB3 or the one with 4GB of RAM max?

Oh, wait, Apple caught up after a couple of tries...

14. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

And you actually think those are "top specs"? :rolleyes:

They're not, it's more about the design, size, OS, and other things beyond specs, but I don't expect you to value those...

15. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Its about top specs, but its also about size. Bigger size with more power is obviously possible, but smaller size with lots of power is even more impressive. If apple made the phone as big as the S5, obviously there would be enough space for more battery and power. (even ram)

16. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

An Air over a Pro is hardly a sacrifice. The Air is actually the more premium product depending on how you look at it. I assume you got the 12 inch though, right?

17. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

Spec wise if you ignore its large size no one can deny it is better.

OIS on the Camera, huge amount of battery life, 401 PPI / 1080p display, Landscape mode.

Again just looking at the raw specifications it is better. We all want more battery life, we all want the best camera, we all want the best display.

But is it best when in that form factor? it's 6" tall. It's .. huge. It's even bigger than other phablets like the Galaxy Note 4, the iPhone Plus is a giant. Apples slogan "Bigger than bigger" is completely accurate.

I pre-ordered the 6 Plus because I wanted the better specs but I cancelled my order due to my carrier messing me around with the delivery date. Now though I'm looking to re-order and I think I'll sacrifice the better camera battery life and higher PPI for a phone I can use comfortably one handed.

18. accountforit macrumors 6502a

i am going to guess that this isn't the first time you have came to this conclusion in life.

19. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I'm going to guess that if you took his post at face value you're going to find yourself thinking what he posted many times over the course of your life.

20. accountforit macrumors 6502a

....and a product that was successful out of the gate which proves the point the poster was making. Specs don't always trump all.

Simply buying the iPhone proves this. Why aren't you using a Samsung phone with super specs? Rhetorical; don't answer.

21. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

These are gadgets. Like cars. Better specs is better. This is not an art museum exhibit. Apple has put out the "specs don't matter" message to camouflage their falling behind in some areas. Is every Apple product behind? No. Is every Apple product sprinkled with magic pixie dust and at the top of their category? Hell no.

The iPhone 6/6+ have at least brought Apple into the same zip code as the Android phones, hardware spec wise. And yes, I like the highest resolution screen, the longest lasting battery, and all the juicy specs. (RAM? Mwhaaaaaaa,..)

22. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

23. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Dude, give it up. Now you are starting to sound sad. Not everything Apple does smell like roses. I still remember not being able to copy and paste on the original iPhone. Magical indeed.

24. Vihzel macrumors 6502

Anyone who's even remotely interested in cars will tell you that is not true. Having more horsepower and torque does not mean it is necessarily faster than another car.

25. Hal~9000, Sep 22, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2014

Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Either one: the 11' or 13' inch, makes no difference. The point I am making is ZBoater saying "MOAR specs always means better!" regarding the 6+ doesn't necessarily hold true for other people. I couldn't care less that the MBA has "lower specs" than the competition out there. I, and many others, value other things about it such as its slimness, design, OS, etc.

So I guess by your analogy a Ford SUV with 'higher specs' is a better car for everyone than a Toyota Corolla? Riiiiiight...

Some people might value the size, the quietness on the road, the brand more, or many other things than just specs on a piece of paper.

I never said every product was behind, I said that everyone has a different opinion of what is "better" for them... and some of them care more about size and design vs specs.

Ok? :confused:

Not sure what your point is here, some iPhone users don't care about specs compared to other things like being able to use a phone one-handed.

Thank you for saying what needed to be said :)