As a Current iPad Owner, Would You Prefer the mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by v0lume4, Aug 15, 2012.

?

iPad mini? Or 9.85" iPad?

1. No, I'd prefer a 9.7" iPad

75 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. Yes, I'd prefer a smaller iPad

28 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. I don't own an iPad, but I'd prefer a mini

5 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. I would have to see the mini in person to make a decision.

24 vote(s)
    18.2%
  1. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

As the title asks, for those of you who currently own the 9.7" iPad, do you yearn for a smaller, proposed 7.85" screen, or can you not see yourself sacrificing the extra screen estate? As for me, I'm kind of on the edge. I'm afraid the keyboard would be too much of a problem, as the current keyboard is perfect for home row typing. And I'm afraid videos may be too small. However, there are plenty of times I talk myself out of bringing my iPad in public with me because it's a bit big for travel.

So, what do you think?

2. kyellowness macrumors regular

No, I think my iPad screen size is perfect and it's not heavy or too big for me to carry around. I wouldn't consider buying an iPad mini unless it was for my kids.

3. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

Its perfect as is for the work that I do on my iPad.

Definitely don't need a smaller screen.

4. number84 macrumors 6502

I voted yes as long as they have a cellular version...in fact, I would get a Nexus 7 if it had this capability. I have an iPad 3 LTE.

5. v0lume4 thread starter macrumors 65816

v0lume4

I definitely see there being a market there for younger kids, from a parents' standpoint.

For me, and others, it almost doesn't seem completely out of the question having a large iPad for home, and a mini for travel. However, the "large" iPad aforementioned is probably simply going to be a laptop for most. I.e.-I cant imagine having a laptop, large iPad, and mini iPad. I couldn't imagine owning two.

6. HishamAkhtar macrumors 6502a

The current screen is amazing for watching movies. I feel like a Mini would kind of defeat the purpose of having an iPad. Why not just stick with the iPhone then?

7. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

Nope, I love the big screen, the iPad makes me forget about my laptop, the mini won't

8. irDigital0l Guest

9. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

10. chokem macrumors 6502

No, I had a 7" Android tablet and it was just too small.

11. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

If you add the Yes, and "let me see first", its almost a tie with No.

12. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

Nah, because it would be too redundant. I'm waiting for the Nexus 7 to be released here in Korea to add to my gadget bag since it's Android-based.

13. urkel, Aug 15, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

I'll likely buy a Mini because I rarely take the iPad out since it requires me carrying a "purse". but I also would love to see a huge iPad for when I'm at home. I love the idea of choice since everyones needs and usage scenarios are different.

14. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I don't believe in "winners" or "the best" or "prefer".

For me I like them both, I have both sizes currently, and will always enjoy the various size choices Apple offers. It's why I have both the 11" & 13" MBA's, the 15" and 17" MBP's.

I spend so much time using a laptop, and so much time traveling that size choices really matter to me.

The best one for the job or the use, you want it for is what counts. If that means that just one works for you. Great. Or if you have lots of different needs as I do and want a choice, finally Apple has realized that offering two sizes is the right thing to do.

After all they offer sizes of laptops, there's simply no reason not to offer sizes of iPads. And for that matter if they were to offer two sizes of iPhones... they'd really make money.

Or perhaps, they've already made all they want.... :eek:

15. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

My iPad is the perfect size. Apple will not be releasing a mini anyway.

16. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    How can anyone make an informed choice about something that doesn't exist?

There's no such thing as a "mini" iPad. Just lots of rumor and speculation, and guessing games created by folks with lots of time to waste.

As for me, I'm still very enchanted with my iPad, especially its screen size.

17. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

My iPad is already the right size.

I see no reason to go smaller...or larger.

18. joshuaginter macrumors regular

I voted yes. I find myself using my iPad to read more than anything else. Web browsing (which I count as reading) and ebooks tend to consume most of my time. And the thing that consumes most of my energy is not the endlessly dramatic plot of the book, but rather the energy to hold the iPad in a comfortable reading posture. Therefore, having something smaller and lighter would be ideal for me.

Having said all of that, I still really love my current iPad.

19. Booji macrumors 6502a

Booji

I voted Yes - I use my iPad the most when commuting and travelling. I find the current size a bit inconvenient. The mini looks like the perfect size for a traveller.

20. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

I love my iPad 3, why on earth would I want to change that to a SMALLER less enjoyable screen?

Its not as if the iPad 3 is BIG to begin with, its completely portable and barely noticable in a slip case.

Im not sure who an iPad mini is directed at :confused:

21. jojoba macrumors 68000

I use my iPad extensively to read research articles, and the current size is perfect for that because I can fit a whole page comfortably on the screen. For that reason, I won't go for a mini - but I generally like that category of tablets. My H has a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab and I think it's a very nice device. Very portable and large enough for reading e-books in e.g. Kobo and Kindle apps.

22. paulro macrumors member

I'd certainly consider a smaller ipad.

I think that for e-reading and gaming a smaller ipad would be more confotable to hold for longer periods.

It would also depend on the resolution of the screen though, as I've got used to the ipad 3's resolution.

23. donnaw macrumors 65816

If it offers LTE I would give it a good look. I will most likely buy a new Windows Pro tablet. I miss having a full OS and access to the file system. But a smaller iPad for taking out of the house and travel would be a nice complement.

Too many times I want to take my iPad with me but it's just a bit too big to lug around. (I'm a small purse person, even my phone is small). I know many here will scoff but since I'm an old woman I've had my fill of toting heavy stuff around. Way, way too many years of traveling with a laptop. I'm all for small and light these days.

If that happens, I'm giving my iPad 3 to my grandkids.

24. urkel, Aug 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2012

urkel macrumors 68030

My wife carries all her important daily gear around town in a thin little bag also but instead of calling it a slipcase she calls it what it is. A purse. And not everyone wants to carry a purse if they can carry their iPad in their back pocket.

25. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Nope. I would rather use my iPhone for anything else.