As much as I love my iMac...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by onthecouchagain, Sep 28, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I'm a recent Mac-convert, and as much as I love my iMac, I've never experienced these problems with a Windows PC before. Waking up from sleep, there are random connection issues with the internet (it is not my router; I've checked), and more commonly, problems with my mouse settings being properly activated. What I mean is, when waking from sleep, sometimes my mouse speed is entirely different, my hot keys aren't in place, and the scrolling speed is different; meaning not the settings I picked. It requires a reboot for the mouse to be working "properly" again. It's a logitech mouse. The weird thing is, when I go to configure it in my settings, all the settings I picked are in place. It's as if the mouse just isn't registering the configuration until a reboot.

I've never had these problems before with my PC. It's frustrating to experience such simple problems with my Mac, especially from a company that sells "premium" products which are supposed to "just work."

I am on Lion, so perhaps it's a Lion issue, but regardless, it's displeasing.

2. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Have you been in touch with AppleCare to see if they can help address any of the issues? Also what version of Lion are you on, the current release is 10.7.1

3. MBP13 macrumors 6502

MBP13

The network issues are normal. It's been happening since 10.7.

You're not the only one with the network issues.

4. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I'm on 10.7.1. i have not called Applecare yet.

In my experience, the idea that Macs never require restarts (except for updates) is bogus.

----------

I guess I'm just discovering that Macs have problems like any other computer. It's a myth that Apple products are perfect, or require less hassle, a myth that's propagated by fanboys, but also by Apple themselves. It doesn't always "just work."

Otherwise, I really like the OS. Argh.

5. bushman4 macrumors 68000

6. erip-eri macrumors newbie

I do have Windows and Macs on the same network and from a network issue point of view I experience the opposite. So my Mac's resume from sleep or hibernate and re-connect flawless but my Windows (one of them) will not get connected unless I reboot the Switch (so not the router and DHCP).

Issues with Windows have dropped in the last couple of years especially with Windows 7 but the Mac is still much more stable. Especially when you install a lot of software on the machines Windows starts to get worse. Next to that a lot of Hardware manufacturers deliver their windows machines with a lot of un necessary software that does not work well and slows down the machines. If you install a clean windows from scratch you don't have these problems.
    That said all pre-installed software on the Mac appears have more, usefull functionality and works flawless.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Actually its a myth propagated by the people who call mac users "fanboys". Anyone with a Mac will tell you they aren't perfect, but they are a lot more stable than most anything else on the market.

8. Tanax macrumors 6502a

I must respectfully disagree with this statement.
    You can just browse around on Macrumors and see that this is not true.

For instance, the memory management thread over in MBP section, the user in question had already stated that something was wrong with the way OS X handles memory management and yet page after page people tells him that it's something else that is wrong.

And as soon as you post something negative or have any problems with your Mac/Apple products, people vote you down and tell you that you're wrong. You can see with my post here. It will get voted down because I had something negative to say about Apple. Big shocker. It doesn't bother me that much though, it's just a number. It clearly shows though that Apple-users don't want to hear anything negative and simply ignores it.

I would get surprised if my post actually wouldn't get any down-votes at all. I dare you.

9. dmz macrumors regular

dmz

Bad Apple!

Not sure about your network issues - could be the 10.7 issue people have mentioned - if so, that'll be addressed in a point-something update.

As to the mouse issues - hardly Apple's fault, you said it yourself - "It's a logitech mouse".

Likely the software for your mouse is not Lion-ready. I've had the exact same issues with non-Apple mice and drivers that are not up to date - Microsoft and Logitech specifically. I gave up on Logitech because the software was not maintained by them, Microsoft is better, they have kept their device drivers up to date, but I have had that same weird speed issue in the past. It would have been comical if it hadn't been so persistent, the mouse would insanely speed up when switching accounts, and then stay that way until a restart.

I'm not saying Apple doesn't have issues - your network woes are probably Apple-induced - but they're not responsible for everything that goes wrong on your Mac.

:apple:dmz

10. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I don't call Mac users fanboys. I call fanboys fanboys.

----------

Again, this same mouse never had a problem when it was used on my old Windows PC. I'm not interested in starting a PC-vs-Mac war here; in fact, I love my Mac. I'm just saying it's disappointing these problems arise, problems that I've never experienced before with my Windows.

11. heliocentric Guest

thats because the mouse was designed for windows not mac

12. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You should try to get support from Apple: book appointment with Genius Bar near you using
    http://www.apple.com/retail/ or call Apple

American Customer Satisfaction Index must be full of lying Apple fanboys:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/20...isfaction-survey-for-eighth-consecutive-time/

PC World must be full of Apple fanboys:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2010/11/30/apple-smokes-the-competition-in-reliability-survey/

13. dmz macrumors regular

dmz

Bad, Evil Apple

Oh yes, I follow your logic - if it worked in Windows and it doesn't work the same on your Mac - it's Apple's fault!

Did you even read my post?:confused:

Logitech Control Center - ever heard of it? Do some basic research if you haven't, it has caused problems for years on Macs.

dmz

14. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I've never had any problem using a Mouse on a Mac.

Windows however, needs to "install" driver every time you plug in a new mouse.

15. onthecouchagain, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I think you guys are misunderstanding my position and points. I'm not saying Apple is unreliable. I'm simply saying they aren't perfect, as fanboys (which doesn't mean every mac user) claim. Anyway, I'll leave it at that.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the Logitech center when I get home. Though if it's a driver issue and I don't have the most up to date drivers, I still don't get why it sometimes works perfectly fine, and other times it doesn't until a reboot makes it work properly again.

Anyway, is there a particular brand of mouse that are similar to logitech mouses that works better or are more compatible for Macs? I can't realistically use the trackpad nor the magic mouse for everyday use or gaming.

16. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

My wired logitech works perfectly with my Mac.

17. Taz Mangus, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

The mouse drivers for the windows side is probably different then for the OS X side. I would suggest that you contact Logitech support about the mouse under Lion.

----------

Anything built by humans is not going to be perfect regardless of what anybody says. If you are having issues contact AppleCare as they are very helpful. That has been my experience and I have been using Apple computers since 2001.

18. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

The funny thing is, I recall installing some sort of drivers for my Mac when I first plugged in my mouse. It directed me to the logitech website and I d/led and followed their instructions. The mouse technically works perfectly fine... except for the few instances when I come back from sleep, and it doesn't seem to keep my mouse settings (despite the configs being unchanged). After a reboot, the Mac and mouse are perfect again.

: shrug :

19. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

The connectivity issues are NOT normal. Something isn't playing nicely in your setup. You say you've "checked" your router, but I'm not sure what that means. What kind of router? Who's the ISP? Is it set to DHCP or are you handing out fixed IP addresses. Is this wifi or wired? Is it only upon waking from sleep or any time the machine has been idle for a long period of time. More info would help.

The mouse issues could be related to the Logitech mouse driver if you're using it - it's notorious for being a horrible piece of Mac software. Try SteerMouse as a multibutton mouse driver. Much better from what I've read. Or, if it's just a regular two-button scroll-wheel mouse, you don't need any 3rd party drivers whatsoever.

20. dmz macrumors regular

dmz

What he said.

plus...

I like (gulp) Microsoft's Mice. MacAlly's stuff is good too.

:apple:dmz

21. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Thanks XRay. I suspect it's not my router because my Air connects to the router just fine (in fact, only after my Air connects does my iMac's internet start working--it's weird). It's a netgear, and the iMac is connected to it via a ethernet cable (wireless is turned off). ISP is Time Warner. It is set to DHCP (it's greyed out so I can't pull down that menu to change it). This issue occurs randomly when waking from full sleep (sometimes waking from full sleep still connects to internet just fine, other times not).

Hope that info helps. What do you suggest?

22. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

I could be way off on this one, but even if I am there is no harm in trying. Try repairing your permissions in Disk Utility. I was having issues with an old PowerMac G4 with it coming out of sleep. A quick repair of the permissions made it right as rain. If there are no issues, it will just tell you so and you can move on to the next thing to cross off the list of troubleshooting. It's worth a try in my opinion.

23. Kaenon macrumors regular

I get the network issues too. It says something like you are not connected to the internet.

I think its just (and I could be very wrong) but the computer jumps off the wireless to allow for other devices to be using the available bandwidth instead of the iMac hogging it to occasionally receive emails while in sleep, etc.

24. Tombs macrumors regular

Tombs

Have you tried putting a windows 7 logo on the iMac? That worked for me, and I didn't have anymore drop outs or problems with the mouse.

25. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

i have a razer mouse and encountered problems when i installed the driver & software for it so i uninstalled the driver/software and just use whatever driver os x is using to drive my razer mouse and it works. i think, sometimes, 3rd party mouse drivers and software causes more problems than not. when i got the razer mouse, i had gotten it to play games (fps) which the apple mouse, ergonomically is not built for. the razer mouse worked right out of the box without needing to install the razer software which lets one change dpi settings, etc. but after a while, i was curious to see what the razer software could do for me in gaming so i installed it and it just didn't work seemlessly without problems for some reason. i think it crashed or froze so i just uninstalled it and have been been using my raxer mouse problem free via plug n play without the dedicated razer software.

so, my advice, is to uninstall whatever software you installed to manage your mouse and just use the os x plug n play mouse driver to manage your mouse and even though it has less options for tweaking mouse settings, i think, the performance difference in gaming, for me, at least, is unnoticeable and in the end, it works, which is what you want, ultimately.