Ashley Madison userbase outed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by obeygiant, Jul 24, 2015.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Link

What a headache for all those cheaters....

Why do women cheat?

At the heart of it is being the object of desire. Someone thought you were the greatest thing and wanted to spend their life with you. Ripping that away from someone feels awful. Now they don't even want to look at you, touch you, talk to you. But you have economic stability — A home. Kids. Family. You don't want to walk away from that just because you feel less than desired. People think, "I'll just put myself out there in an anonymous way." They want to rekindle that object of desire. You'll often find women seeking this attention byFacebooking with past lovers.

How is that different from men?

For men, it's often a sexual void — their partner isn't sleeping with them. They might think, "All I get is vanilla sex." They don't want vanilla — they want to try different flavors. Someone of different ethnicity. Age. Body type. Sexual appetite. The big thing, and this came out of a study by one university — oral sex. If your partner desires more activity in the oral sex department and you're not willing to participate, that is a big indicator that an affair might happen. The joke around here – maybe we should've named the site Oral Madison! Clearly there is an oral sex void in America.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

37 million members. The gays better get busy if they are to destroy traditional marriage.

3. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

My guess is that the gay divorce rate will be on par with straight divorce eventually so its a wash IMO.

Whats more interesting are the reasons why men and women are cheating.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

People cheat for a variety of reasons, but the main one is a lack of fundamental satisfaction in, or with, the current relationship, a feeling of being taken for granted, and that maybe life has more to offer elsewhere with someone else.

Increasingly, too, women are a lot less economically dependent than they used to be.

What is interesting to me is how the choice comes to be made to give yourself permission to cheat (because despite the self-deluding nonsense that people tell themselves, people don't somehow stumble into cheating: They choose to do so).

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Hacking this site and that site has become routine news.

This is only a thread because sex is involved.

Yet I'm sure their many iDevice owners that like it, after all an iPhone is the only phone I'm aware of that's called "Sexy" or statements like "rocking it nude" apply sexual references upon an inanimate object. It's an obsession in AppleLand.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'll be honest that when the story broke, and I saw the headlines, I hadn't a clue what it was about. Reading the headlines, and seeing a person's name, I assumed that this was the name of yet another anonymous US celebrity that I had never heard of. Things only becomes a bit clearer when I read an article in The Guardian about it.

7. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Well yeah! :)

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Anyone stupid enough to join a site like "Ashley Madison" using their real name probably needs to be outed before they do some real damage.

9. TomGolden macrumors member

TomGolden

I wonder if there is a way to find out the ratio of Men : Women members of this site. 37 million total seems very high to me, but I guess might be believable if it has members outside the U.S..

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

So the rub on this story is that they would charge you $19 to "wipe your data" from the site. They made good money on this feature, now for the kicker. They never actually erased the data. This is why they were targeted with the hack.

11. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

70% of Ashley Madison's users are male.[27] "More men than women use the service, with the disparity increasing as they advance in age", and "Men seek sex, while women seek passion."[28] This is not revealed to prospective users. Furthermore, Ashley Madison routinely uses computer-generated female "profiles" to make it seem that more women participate than really do.[27] It is obvious from a page on the Ashley Madison site itself that many men feel "ripped off."[25]

wiki

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

And the user base info has been posted.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2015/08...ite-ashley-madison-users-online/?intcmp=hpbt3

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

I would think that the number of men successfully meeting a woman using this site and the number of women successfully meeting a man is exactly the same.

14. wct097 macrumors 6502

It's not so much that they used their real names on the site, it's that they had to use a credit card to pay. The leak includes ~2642 cvs files from a payment processor detailing the transactions. These details include cardholder names, amounts, city, state, zip, address, IP, last 4 of card number, etc.... and the profile ID that ties it all back to the database.

There are a tad over 9 million records in the credit card CSV files. I've put them into a SQL table to better search them.

Based on what I've seen of the data myself, there has to be something like 75-100 guys for every one female that paid for the service. Can't speak to the member database in terms of people that signed up because I haven't got all of that data migrated to my SQL server from MySQL yet. Once it's done, I may make a pass at trying to determine actual ratios.... but I think some other people already have done that and published the info they have.

15. JackieInCo macrumors 601

Gizmodo analyzed the data. It turns out that men were paying to use the service to meet up with women who never actually existed in the first place. A huge number of female accounts were created using Ashley Madison email accounts all beginning with sequential numbers.

http://gizmodo.com/almost-none-of-the-women-in-the-ashley-madison-database-1725558944

I throughly enjoyed reading this article and the last paragraph sums it up well:

Either way, we’re left with data that suggests Ashley Madison is a site where tens of millions of men write mail, chat, and spend money for women who aren’t there.

16. obeygiant thread starter macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I had that feeling from the first time I heard of AM. In my experience thats not the way women meet men.

17. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

7-Zip extracted them into .dump files, which I'm unfamiliar with. What app opens those?

18. sim667 macrumors 65816

With 37 million members on a cheating website, it sounds like the gays don't really need to do anything to 'destroy' traditional marriage.

19. wct097 macrumors 6502

They're MySQL dumps. You'll need to install MySQL then restore the database from the dumps. Not something your average user is going to be able to accomplish and make heads or tails of. Need to have some experience with database. I personally restored to MySQL then imported the MySQL data into SQL Server because I'm more comfortable on that platform.

20. Aragornii macrumors 6502

Ironically the gays on Ashley Madison are the ones with the most to worry about, given that many live in countries where homosexuality is illegal.