Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arzy

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
Do you boot camp and play in Windows 7 or mainly play in native OS X?

.Max.

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2011
United Kindom
Everyone says Crysis is the most demanding game... It's not ;)

How does it handle minecraft with 100+ tnt going off? :D :p

Richard Johnson

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2008
Just Cause 2; all settings at max and motion blur, I get a solid 30fps. Sometimes swoops to 25 when 'flying' through fog.

Haven't installed Crysis yet, would you like me to get back to you?

Yeah if you will. But it seems like its pretty beast. I can't wait to get mine, only problem is I'm playing in 1980x1200 =\\\\

MacsAreBetter\

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 15, 2010
Gold Coast, Australia
Do you boot camp and play in Windows 7 or mainly play in native OS X?

I prefer Windows because for a wider range of games, but OSX works just as well (I only use it for Half Life 2, Portal). Of course if you want to play CoD4, StarCraft2 and whatever else, OSX will work just as fine!

Udden

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2011
How well does it play SC2 in OSX? Any idea how much better it runs in W7?

polkunus

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2011
To be honest, I've never ever been in such a situation!
But I'm guessing it'd be fast..

First of all, no its not "Fast". The computer starts to chug after the third TNT explosion. Not the macs fault though, its just knotch's sloppy coding.

My question would be; How on earth do you competitively game on an Operating System that constantly changes your mouse acceleration sporadicly even with third party software?

(I don't game too much on my mac because 1. its a laptop 2. it really isn't the best platform for gaming. However, I get really bored on plane flights and the mouse problem is the only thing that bothers me.)

weemanpow3

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
BioShock 2 at max 1680x1050 runs like a dream :)
BulletStorm at max (no AA) 1680x1050 around 24fps+
Metro 2033 same as BulletStorm
Steam Source games (CS:S, Portal, etc...) lol, no sweat.
Crysis 2 MP Demo at gamer 1680x1050 - smooth gameplay

Matthew9559

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2007
Cleveland, OH
How well does it play SC2 in OSX? Any idea how much better it runs in W7?

Also interested in this. Been obsessed with SC2 since release. :p

I hate how hot the MBP's get. I am sad to hear they still are. Expected when running high resolution/performance games... I guess. Still doesn't seem like it should be like that for amount of $$$ spent.

Rotsu

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
Have you tried to overclock the GPU?

Can you try Crysis 2 wit gamer settings with resolution of 1280x900(or whatever the avaliable resolution) What is your avg FPS with these settings?

Can you try black ops with low resolution as well like the above?

Thanks a lot!

AppleMacFinder

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2009

I hate how hot the MBP's get. I am sad to hear they still are. Expected when running high resolution/performance games... I guess. Still doesn't seem like it should be like that for amount of $$$ spent.

That's because of a lot of poor thermal grease on your chips.
Those who have replaced the TIM are getting much better results.
The only problem is that you must be VERY CAREFUL when doing it or will receive a 2000$ brick.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

Other laptops on the market get just as hot if not hotter, but their plastic cases are poor heat conductors so you don't actually feel it.

MBP's use their aluminum casing as a giant heat sink.

8000rpm

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2011
Wow I thought I was the only guy onthe planet who HATES apples mouse acceleration in games. It was the sole reason I sold my late 09 and try out a pc.

How is world of Warcraft? All settings maxed put shadows on lowest setting plz and tell me fps,, flying, in major city and in battleground. Thanks!!

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Does it overclock on MSI's Afterburner in bootcamp? One of the best things about the GT330m in the 2010 MBP 15 was the ability to get 10-15% improvement in FPS by overclocking the GPU in Bootcamp.

ddoolin0

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Does it overclock on MSI's Afterburner in bootcamp? One of the best things about the GT330m in the 2010 MBP 15 was the ability to get 10-15% improvement in FPS by overclocking the GPU in Bootcamp.

Nope. You can't OC with Afterburner. It shows 600 MHz as the highest. You can downclock, though.

Idk how people get temp. readers on the GPU. Mine doesn't appear to have a sensor on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.