Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
As a person who has had a Note 3 for 6 months now, this is not a fair comparison.
1. The iPhone 6 plus is narrower, hence it should be easier to hold one handed, and use one handed.
2. The iPhone 6 plus is thinner, hence it should be easier to hold and use one handed.
3. The iPhone 6 plus is taller, this is where the difference will be in pocketability, I believe. But remains to be seen.

Obviously it's not the perfect comparison because I haven't held the 6+ and they don't have the exact same dimensions. However, they are both large devices with similar dimensions. I'm just trying to help people by answering their questions about what it's like having a large phablet like the 6+ or Note 3 in day to day life.

----------

Say you are wearing tight jeans I would imagine you'd have to take it out of your pocket when sitting down otherwise it would probably be uncomfortable no?

No, I can take it out of my pocket fine while standing or laying down. In fact it's usually easier that way rather than taking it out while sitting.

rkoshack

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
No, I can take it out of my pocket fine while standing or laying down. In fact it's usually easier that way rather than taking it out while sitting.

I meant more so that do you have to take it out of your pocket when you sit down as it's too uncomfortable to have in a jeans pocket while sitting?

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
I meant more so that do you have to take it out of your pocket when you sit down as it's too uncomfortable to have in a jeans pocket while sitting?

Ohh ok. No, I've never had to do that. I've always been fine with it in my pocket even in tight jeans.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I HAD a Note 3. My recommendation? It is available at most Best Buy locations with Samsung reps and also at carriers.

Go play! One's experience mine or his may not be yours. Find out yourself hands on.

negroswamy

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
specific stories?

I've had a Galaxy Note 3 the past year so I can answer any question you have about having a big phablet like the 6+.

hey thanks for starting this...do you happen to have any specific stories where you remember the size being a major headache? or where u wished it was smaller?

i feel like ill either forget this MORE because i wont have it in my pockets as often or LESS because the "liberating feeling" of being without it will be so noticeable...any thoughts?

thank you so much, xxray - ive been trying to find answers to these for the last 3 days (focusing more on android forums, since i thought they were the only users with relevant experience about these issues)!

Last edited:

toekneeg

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Orlando, FL
Some people are putting waaay too much thought into this.

Own a Note 3 for the past year. I will be going back to iPhone with the 6+.

The only time I wish it was smaller is when I really need to only use one hand (brushing my teeth for example) and I need to reach the top of the screen. 6+ has reachability so it will fix that problem.

I notice that I carry the phone in my hands more often, rather than carrying it in my pocket. The 6+ is a tall phone, just got my case in. same width and thickness as my Note 3 case, just taller. You will notice this in your pocket, but only when you bend down to get something. Dress pants and gym shorts are a big no-no. Too big. I'll put the phone in my jacket pocket if I'm wearing a suit.

Find a friend with Note 3. Mess around with it and see if it is for you. I showed several female friends my 6+ case and Note 3 and decided to cancel their 6+ orders and switch to the 6.

negroswamy

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014

The only time I wish it was smaller is when I really need to only use one hand (brushing my teeth for example) and I need to reach the top of the screen. 6+ has reachability so it will fix that problem.

I notice that I carry the phone in my hands more often, rather than carrying it in my pocket. The 6+ is a tall phone, just got my case in. same width and thickness as my Note 3 case, just taller. You will notice this in your pocket, but only when you bend down to get something. Dress pants and gym shorts are a big no-no. Too big. I'll put the phone in my jacket pocket if I'm wearing a suit.

Find a friend with Note 3. Mess around with it and see if it is for you. I showed several female friends my 6+ case and Note 3 and decided to cancel their 6+ orders and switch to the 6.

great answer, thank you.

xxray

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 27, 2013
I HAD a Note 3. My recommendation? It is available at most Best Buy locations with Samsung reps and also at carriers.

Go play! One's experience mine or his may not be yours. Find out yourself hands on.

Great points! Thanks for adding more to the thread.

hey thanks for starting this...do you happen to have any specific stories where you remember the size being a major headache? or where u wished it was smaller?

i feel like ill either forget this MORE because i wont have it in my pockets as often or LESS because the "liberating feeling" of being without it will be so noticeable...any thoughts?

thank you so much, xxray - ive been trying to find answers to these for the last 3 days (focusing more on android forums, since i thought they were the only users with relevant experience about these issues)!

Np glad you appreciate it.

1. Never had the size ever cause big headaches or problems for me. The only time I ever get annoyed is when I have to use two hands or slide the phone down in my hand to reach something at the top. However, this has never been a big problem, just an annoyance at times. Apple is also completely solving this problem with reachability so it's not even really a valid problem anymore.

2. I keep it in my pocket just as often as I did my iPhone 4S which is 99% of the time I'm not using it. I still have times where I panic because I can't feel it in my pocket despite the size. I really don't think you should have any problem fitting it in pockets unless it's athletic/gym shorts which can have small pockets at times.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
I use my iphone 20 all day without issues. It helps me fight thieves because it is like a sword. Ask me any questions you have:

185097_444278995610874_1301165378_n.jpg

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2012
MA

Some women would say that size is to small but... it's personal preference :)

I use my iphone 20 all day without issues. It helps me fight thieves because it is like a sword. Ask me any questions you have:

Good one! I really LOLed!!!

After reading this thread, I think I'll be going with my first instinct and that is the 4.7". It's bigger than the iPhone 5 that I have now but won't be as noticeable in my pocket as the 6 Plus.

Thanks for posting this thread. Good details for people that haven't really thought about how it is to use a larger phone daily.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.