Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Astropad today announced a new iPad app called Astropad Slate, which can be used to control the Mac with an Apple Pencil. Astropad Slate is available as a public beta, and because it's still in testing, it is free for everyone.

astropad-slate-ipad.jpg

There are several Mac functions that can be performed with the Apple Pencil. It works as a cursor for controlling the desktop mouse, with a tap on the screen serving as a click. Handwriting done on the iPad will be translated into typed text on the Mac. Astropad Slate supports the Apple Pencil hover gestures on newer iPads, and there is a simulated hover option on older iPads, plus you can use two-finger touch gestures for actions like scrolling and zoom.

You can also use the iPad as a pen tablet with Mac apps that support drawing, sketching, and other creative work. The Astropad Slate app basically turns the iPad into a no-screen drawing tablet so you can focus on your work on the Mac. A Mac and an iPad can be connected using Wi-Fi, Peer-to-Peer networking, or an appropriate USB cable. Requirements include iPadOS 15 or later and macOS 11 or later.

The Astropad Slate app can be accessed by signing up for the beta on the Astropad website.

Article Link: Astropad Slate iPad App Lets You Control Your Mac With Apple Pencil

CrysisDeu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2018
I always thought this is a good idea:

when connecting to an external display, ipad itself can just function as keyboard +trackpad.

When a keyboard is connected, ipad functions as a trackpad.
When a touchpad/mouse is connected, ipad functions as a keyboard.

beatrixwillius

macrumors member
May 30, 2020
Germany
Hmmm… I can type faster than I write… I also have a mouse and trackpad to control the cursor. I guess it’s great for photo editing when you’re connected to a large display.
I have arthritis since 25 years and can't use a mouse at all. I've been using Wacom tablets. So the idea of using an iPad is not bad. Lag and precision would be key for the app.

drumcat

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Otautahi, Aotearoa
If we wanted to ever take this further, I always wondered what it might be like to have a phone as a computer, dropped into the "touchpad" position. Just a clamshell of a keyboard and screen. The phone becomes the touchpad.

We're pretty much at that point, no? iPadOS variant laptop?

bgillander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2007
I’ve been meaning to try Sidecar for a while because I thought it already had these features. Now I really need to get around to it, if only to see what it actually does.

Daedalus65

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2013
In my experience with these types of apps, you really need mac content displayer on the tablet, otherwise there is a lit of hit and miss with the pencils - certainly no precision drawing or controls.

Reactions: groove-agent

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well, will these experiments inspire Apple to develop something supporting touch macOS? Or they will maintain a hard stance on this forever?
What I see is essentially another take on using macOS with some form of touch input, but with focus on creativity.
Given they have no access to Apple’s proprietary protocol to initiate and maintain connection, wireless connection stability will be a concern. I guess they could also support wired connection.

lovehateapple

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2015
USA
I’ve been meaning to try Sidecar for a while because I thought it already had these features. Now I really need to get around to it, if only to see what it actually does.
When SideCar was first announced I thought I could use it to do things like this AstroPad Slate appears to be able to do. SideCar with apple pencil didn't pan out, but maybe, hopefully APS will?

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
In my experience with these types of apps, you really need mac content displayer on the tablet, otherwise there is a lit of hit and miss with the pencils - certainly no precision drawing or controls.
I’ve used Astropad for years with my Apple Pencil & Photoshop. It’s been flawless

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
Works great on my M1 iPad Pro (wirelessly, no lag), but for this to be actually usable, I really think Hover makes a big difference, so I guess its usability will grow as more iPads get that feature.

Reactions: applefan8254

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
It seems like a simple Wacom tablet is still the best option here; isn't using beta software, it's cheaper, and for illustration you're better off working on the iPad itself

Sure, but this is like a Wacom tablet that turns into an actual screen tablet. If you want both, this might be the cheaper option then buying both the iPad and the tablet.

I have the latest Intuos Pros in L and M sizes and an iPad Pro, but I can imagine using this in a pinch when I'm in the office with just my iPad and my office computer.

NEPOBABY

Suspended
Jan 10, 2023

Sidecar works perfectly well but only on the iPad Pro with hover pencil. Set it to mirror the Mac display.

The main problem with using the iPad Pro is it gets warm, whereas an Intuos tablet has no screen or processor to get warm.

Intuos pens don't need to be recharged either.

Reactions: Porco and arkitect

rembert

macrumors regular
Feb 10, 2009
Amsterdam area, Netherlands
Nice, but no thanks as this will likely require a subscription, just like their flagship project. I only buy software which can be used “indefinitely” where it will be my choice to decide to upgrade to a newer version. They’ll have to convince me to upgrade - a subscription based solution lacks that incentive: why would they, the money is being received, why bother too much (I’m looking at you, Adobe). For instance I’ll skip the latest DxO upgrade as it doesn’t bring me anything I require. The previous version is more than capable (for me).

Numtsi

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2023
Just tried it with masking in Lightroom. Works pretty fine, especially for a beta. I'm in for it. Wouldn't buy a subscription, but a one time purchase is definitely an option!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.