Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PocketRocketGQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
My wife lost her phone over the weekend. She had the 128GB SG iPhone 6. After filing a claim with Asurion they are replacing it with a 128GB SG iPhone 6S due to arrive tomorrow 10/13.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 5,172

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's great. Is that their policy to do that or is she just lucky?
I would say, probably just lucky.

Asurion refurbs tend to be done with non-OEM parts and Asurion tends to run out of refurbs quite quickly. When they do they usually replace with a newer device because they have no other option.

My wife got a Touch Pro 2 once because Asurion had no more Touch Pros to replace her Touch Pro with.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
or maybe the fact that the iPhone 6 is no longer available in 128GB.
That probably has a lot to do with the luck. If Asurion ran out of refurbs and can't buy new 128GB models then they'd replace with a newer version as their only option.

Reactions: willmtaylor

PocketRocketGQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
I wouldn't have thought that they would have run out of 128GB iPhone 6's so close to the 6S release.

JCornick

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2015
My wife lost her phone over the weekend. She had the 128GB SG iPhone 6. After filing a claim with Asurion they are replacing it with a 128GB SG iPhone 6S due to arrive tomorrow 10/13.

Did you actually get the iPhone? I did a claim for a 128GB iPhone 6s however they say its on backorder. I've have 3 different people tell me three different lengths of time until it arrives. I don't trust them, there are multiple stories of people online who have done claims for recently released iPhones and they'll originally give you the cookie cutter response of 2-3 business days and then say a week, then when that passes another week. One person waiting for almost a month and then they ended up just giving them a check for the price of the phone.

PocketRocketGQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Did you actually get the iPhone? I did a claim for a 128GB iPhone 6s however they say its on backorder. I've have 3 different people tell me three different lengths of time until it arrives. I don't trust them, there are multiple stories of people online who have done claims for recently released iPhones and they'll originally give you the cookie cutter response of 2-3 business days and then say a week, then when that passes another week. One person waiting for almost a month and then they ended up just giving them a check for the price of the phone.
Yeah I received the phone on the 14th. Filed claim over the weekend on the 10th, Columbus Day was a holiday so no mail. Claim processed Tuesday the 13th and shipped received via FedEx Wednesday the 14th. Asurion said it might take 1-2 weeks I guess to cover their butts if they couldn't deliver overnight as usual.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
Sweet. When insurance goes right, it can go so right.

The 15" rMBP I'm typing on now was an insurance replacement for a faithful 2007 MacBook Pro. I'd have been happy with a replacement screen, but the insurance company weren't even interested in taking a look and just shipped out a new one.

I'm guessing in both my case and yours, an identical replacement wouldn't be possible given that Apple had stopped producing them. Therefore, you get the next best equivalent.

JCornick

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2015
Yeah I received the phone on the 14th. Filed claim over the weekend on the 10th, Columbus Day was a holiday so no mail. Claim processed Tuesday the 13th and shipped received via FedEx Wednesday the 14th. Asurion said it might take 1-2 weeks I guess to cover their butts if they couldn't deliver overnight as usual.

Wow thank you! You just made me feel so much better. I'm just hoping that it will be no longer than a week. You don't realize how dependent you are on your phone until you don't have it. Thanks!

jharden9

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2015
How do you know what phone you are getting? Last wednesday I called asurion to get my iPhone 6 replaced and they told me it would take 2 weeks, and on sunday I called them again and they said my phone would be here monday.

PocketRocketGQ

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
How do you know what phone you are getting? Last wednesday I called asurion to get my iPhone 6 replaced and they told me it would take 2 weeks, and on sunday I called them again and they said my phone would be here monday.
If you do the claim online, at the end it tells you just like my screen shot in my original post. The delay of getting the replacement might indicate you are getting a 6S, since they are in high demand. Hope it works out for you.

MacMeOver

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2015

Unfortunately, my phone was stolen. However, Asurion is saying that my phone is on backorder. I've been waiting since last Sunday the 18th. I'm waiting for the 6s plus 128gb.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
Sweet. When insurance goes right, it can go so right.

The 15" rMBP I'm typing on now was an insurance replacement for a faithful 2007 MacBook Pro. I'd have been happy with a replacement screen, but the insurance company weren't even interested in taking a look and just shipped out a new one.

I'm guessing in both my case and yours, an identical replacement wouldn't be possible given that Apple had stopped producing them. Therefore, you get the next best equivalent.

Off topic, but who do you use for Mac insurance? I'm looking to insure the one I just bought since my last one died due to liquid damage.

dimaggi7

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2015
Chicago, IL
Any more recent replacements? My att iPhone 6 64gb is on the fritz and dying at 10-20% battery charge, and I am contemplating a replacement...

Thanks in advanced.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I also had an experience like that with Asurion for AT&T. I had an iPad Air 1, and it got liquid damage and the buttons wouldn't work, so I filed a claim, and I got an iPad Air 2 from them. I was impressed.

einmusiker

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2010
I love asurion as my wife is a notorious loser of phones. I've made 3 successful claims since 2010 when they first started offering the service. Best $9 per month ever spent. I've only had one issue with a claim with them

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
Off topic, but who do you use for Mac insurance? I'm looking to insure the one I just bought since my last one died due to liquid damage.

I use USAA insurance for theft/drops/spills for my MacBook Pro

Last edited:

mixolydian

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2016
Are u sure it's really 6s? I got my replacement iPhone 6, had a strange rattle when I tilted it so I took it to an Apple Store, waited hours just for them to tell me they couldn't fix it because it has 3rd party components inside that don't match the exterior. Unless u get it opened up, I guess you'll never know.. Probably better that way

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Are u sure it's really 6s? I got my replacement iPhone 6, had a strange rattle when I tilted it so I took it to an Apple Store, waited hours just for them to tell me they couldn't fix it because it has 3rd party components inside that don't match the exterior. Unless u get it opened up, I guess you'll never know.. Probably better that way
Welcome to the forums. Glad you're here.

Just as an FYI, when searching the forums (or arriving here from a Google search), check time stamps before replying. You just replied to the OP who posted this last October.
[doublepost=1464780813][/doublepost]Also, yes. Frequently, if one utilizes his/her carrier insurance and has a model (e.g. storage/color combo) that Apple no longer sells at retail, one is given the newer version.

Reactions: ABC5S
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.