*** Asus G73JH-A1*** It's calling my name...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SoCalRich, Mar 24, 2010.

1. SoCalRich macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

While I've been waiting around for the MBP refresh I ran across a HOT number. It's the Asus G73JH or the G73JH-A1 (with the Blu-ray combo)

17", 8 second boot time, i7 720QM, 8 BG Expandable up to 16GB DDRIII 1333MHz, 1TB with 2 removable 7,200 HD's, ATi Mobility Radeon HD 5870 3D Graphic Card with 1024 MB GDDR5 VRAM, etc, etc, etc....

No 8 hr battery time but hey... I think at $1,699 with the blu-ray drives, this just might be the bench mark to beat.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=457852
    http://www.notebookreview.com/defaul...asus+g73+g73jh
    http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1353581.html
    http://www.em-zero.com/index.php/201...he-asus-g73jh/

Hurry up Steve... I don't know how much longer I can wait. This unit will be available in a week or so....My trigger finger is getting itchy with strange palpatations...

2. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Problem is we are comparing this to the current MBP. Depending on how Apple plays it we could see a major update this next revision. I think we are all hoping for the same treatment the iMac got in terms of updates.

3. vant macrumors 65816

Wow. What is this place now, an advertisement board?

Seriously, go whine about your future purchases somewhere else.

4. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

Agreed... Hopefully without the problems we've see with the 27"s screens

:eek: No one is whining here... :D Just taking a look at the new competition that is coming down the pike... in the next couple weeks... Pretty impressive I'd say.

I sure hope the new MBP revision includes a lot of those same upgrades.

5. charpi macrumors regular

Will it ever have OSX/Is it hackintoshable?

*In my opinion*, better than the Envy. It will be the thing for the new MBPs to beat.

6. PAC88 macrumors 6502

that asus is one hideous looking thing.. I don't know what else to say... I'm surprised someone even considering a mbp would be interested in that thing

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Hopefully the MBP update will be substantial otherwise I could see Apple loosing users to Windows.

OP please use the multi-quote feature in the future when quoting multiple posts.

Attached Files:

8. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

First of all, I have an '04 17" PB. I LOVE it... It's just too old to do the job any longer.

Look beyond the cosmetic and at the technology of this unit. Check the stats, that's what is impressive.

I sure hope the new MBP has all those features... That's all I'm saying...

9. Streethawk macrumors 6502

Its just a big ugly plastic gaming laptop. I dont really think its remotely comparable to a MBP.

10. Quetsche macrumors member

Do you really use 4 cores with your day to day use of a computer?
    I've had a quad core for something like 4 years now and i can tell you i use 1 or 2 cores 99.9% of the time, even when multitasking.

the i7 720QM in your config is clocked at 4*1.6Ghz. If you only use two cores, you can turbo boost it up to 2*2.4Ghz which will be slower than a core2duo 2*3.06Ghz. And that's, of course, comparing it to an obsolete MBP.

on the other hand, you will have very nice performance while doing multi-cores benchmarks, and stuff like seti@home.

11. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

Exactly... I want another MBP with all of those features AND price point... Then I would be a happy camper...

wilco on the "

12. Tyrion macrumors 6502a

I think this is one of the better looking PC-laptops out there. Very distinct design. And you have to give Asus props for the cooling system, which is reportedly very good and keeps the laptop cool and quiet despite its monstrous specs.

Still, it seems to lack USB 3.0 - dealbreaker right there.

13. hellric macrumors member

And in games ! Thats' the purpose of this monster. Even the new MBP won't come close to this beast. Its has the fastest mobile GPU, 1 To 7200 rpm hard drive, I hope no one is really hoping to come close to this with the new MBP's... very tempting indeed !

14. SoCalRich thread starter macrumors 6502

SoCalRich

I do Photoshop, Lightroom working large RAW files etc. I understood the i7 quads were at least 25% faster or more then the dual cores. Isn't that correct or did I misunderstand? I'm looking for the fastest laptop for my photography. You can also add up to 16GB ram etc. I think I would like about 8GB

The ONLY purpose of this was to bring to light some of the new technology that is available in laptops these days. Hopefully this new MBP revision will contain most if not all of that technology. :D

15. AAPLaday Guest

AAPLaday

Yes thats cool. Its natural to look at the competition and see what they can offer. Especially since Windows 7 is the best windows to date. IF Vista had been like 7 then i never would have gotten myself an iMac. But it wasn't, and i did ;)

Problem is though is that Apple are the battery life kings so i think they will be looking at a compromise between power and battery time. Id like to see an option for a 17" MBP though thats just a crazy powerhouse, even if it only lasts three hours, how many people are that far from power point? :D

16. Pax macrumors 6502a

1 hour 48 minutes of battery life Web surfin with screen on minimum.
    Yowsa yowsa, that's got me excited. By the time I fire up Word and Excel I'll be looking for a power point.

8.5 lb = 3.8 kg. Yowsa yowsa, I'll be looking for an osteopath as well.

Ohhh, but it's got a "Copper CPU Heatsink". Imagine that, the things they think of these days. Gotta get me one of those.

17. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

Seriously, why even bother when you compare plastic dump crap with Macs, even the OS is different !

18. charpi macrumors regular

Hardware wise, doesn't it beat the current gen macs hands down, and even beat some of the "wishlist" macs in the "waiting for arrandale" thread. Don't even say that hardware doesn't matter much, if so, why would we all be whining about apple not updating the hardware? Don't think that other non-mac devices are a "plastic dump crap".

19. Esquare macrumors member

You DO realize that this i7-720QM Processor (introduced Q3/09) is almost as 'obsolete' as a C2D? :)

20. ss957916 macrumors 6502a

Power Point should be with all you other MS Office programs. If not you may need to reinstall from the CD.

21. Gorilla Power macrumors 6502

Gorilla Power

I've seen them all. Have used Windows for 12 years and Mac for 2 years now - if you understand the advantage of OS X, there shouldn't be any doubt in your mind at all on what you should get.

I agree with you, not all non-Apple notebooks are crap, but they just don't compare to the whole user experience when you put them up beside a Mac. Hardware isn't everything. Trust me. I know Apple is late and I'm equally annoyed, but if you're an Apple guy, you're stuck in a quagmire, you won't be able to go back to Windows ever again.

22. zipa macrumors 65816

Huh? Six months vs. four years doesn't sound like "almost the same" when talking about CPU technology.

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have to say looks wise, I really like that and the internals look pretty impressive. I'm not tempted to dump my MBP but I could use an inexpensive computer for the family. (I have no idea what the price point of this is).

24. Pax macrumors 6502a

:)

25. shadygrove macrumors regular

well said. I have been using OS X for 5-6 years and I couldn't perform nearly on the same level without it. I need what Apple provides (which is a sound environment), not just the highest specs I get on a machine.

While I too and still using PowerPC technology, I won't consider buying anything other than an Mac.