Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hattig

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2003
London, UK
miketcool said:
Yeah......

Well, the apps in the doc are old. Does anyone use Appleworks anymore?

Menu? Panther.

Ahhh another poor fake.

It's not like it was ever presented as real ffs.

"While waiting for the MacBook to be finally released, we have decided to publish a design made by one of our forum members, Orpioo."

The screen will obviously be 1280x768, not 1280x720. Maybe even 1280x800, but most 13.3" widescreens are the former.

jne381

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2006
Grand Rapids
Screen Size

It is all about working space. I would be the first person to agree that the 12 inch iBook was too small for actually working on, and at first impression 13.3 didn't sound much better. Even though there is a loss of depth compared to width of the screen, the extra width is efficient. I came to this conclusion after looking at the Sony 13.3 laptop. The wide screen gives you the ability to open 2 pages side by side. An example for me would be a word document on one side and a web page on the other.

My money would be on different versions of the new MacBooks, and I would hope the high end of the line would be the equivalent of the MacBook Pro only with a smaller screen and possibly less outputs, that wouldn't be much different from the old 12 inch PowerBooks.

reaper

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2004
19th Hole
QCassidy352 said:
Yes, there are "consumer" level users who want a bigger screen, and there are "pro" users who want more portability. If apple just goes with a 13.3" macbook and only the 15" and 17" MBP, I think that would be a big, big mistake. I understand not wanting to confuse people with too many options, but having 2 lines each of which has 2 or 3 models is not too much. I don't want to shell out $2k for a MBP, but $1400 for a 15" macbook? Yeah, that could work.

I agree completely. My 17" Powerbook finally got hosed, and I'm looking for a "pro" machine that's more portable than the 15.4" MBP. I simply don't want to have to lug a "cute" laptop into a meeting if they only offer iBook-esque smaller lappies.

That being said, Apple definitely needs to get these out to satisfy a gaping hole in their current lineup. Then they can play catch up all they want.

-reaper

ccool2ax

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2005
I hate the name MacBook. I was going to buy an intel iBook, but since Apple won't relase one, I won't. I think that the color rumor is made up (it's out of place with other Apple design), maybe not the 13.3 inch thing, but whatever idiot thoguht that the MBP was named to differentiate it from a future laptop is stupid. Why would apple give that away? Why would Apple lose so much name recognition?

ccool2ax

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2005
JW Pepper said:
MB has a photo claimed to be a mock up, I am not sure. If t is a mockup then I think they are wrong and that it is more likely to be 16x10. If it is a leak and they are correct then the 13.3inch screen looses almost an inch in height compared to the iBook:(
Terrible. If that's all a mockup artist can do is stretch out a 12'' iBook and write Macbook on it (without changing the screen!), then they don;t deserve a Mac. Not that I could do any better... just don't try passing that off as an iBook with an intel chip.

Confidemus

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2006
13.3 what resolution?

devilot said:
Haha, and here I am, thinking, "13.3" is BIG."

Hi all,
I'm just thinking, whether 13.3" might come with a similar resolution like my nearly 4 years old TiBook 15"?

My Powerbook 15" has resolution 1280 x 854 pixels.

As I have seen, the new MacBook Pro has 1440 x 900. That is 18.6% more. The resolution I have is just fine for me. So is anybody here who might know the resolution of the 13.3" MacBook?

My hope is that I get more power, more RAM, more hard disk and less weight.

Best,
Fernando

stebu

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2004
Margate, Kent, UK
What's an "on button?"

I guess I'm just your archetypal low-end user. That's why my iBook 12" is really too much computer for me. So if the new MacBook is going to be prohibitively expensive without offering me any more than I'm going to really need, it will be a cold day in Hades before I venture into the market again.

thecheda

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2006
Los Angeles

emotion said:
Get your eyes checked grandad :)

Seriously though I have two 12" Powerbooks as my only computers and that's all I use.

I couldn't do it on XP or linux but with expose the small screen is fine.

unless youre doing graphics/photo/animation and need the space.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
That aspect ratio looks horrible. A laptop that small needs to stay with a 4:3 aspect ration IMO.

From http://www.macbidouille.com
MacBook_2006.jpg

jamesi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2005
Davis CA
13.3 inches IS small. obviously the macbook (ibook sounds so much better) is meant for poor college students and the likes. 13.3 is awful but not so bad when you are using it on the go. at the desk tho, i would want a larger monitor. 17" pb for life

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
jamesi said:
13.3 inches IS small. obviously the macbook (ibook sounds so much better) is meant for poor college students and the likes. 13.3 is awful but not so bad when you are using it on the go. at the desk tho, i would want a larger monitor. 17" pb for life

That's where external monitors come in...

revjay

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2004
Beautiful Vancouver Island
I Don't Like the Name "Pepsi" ...But I Drink It Because It's Good!

ccool2ax said:
I hate the name MacBook. I was going to buy an intel iBook, but since Apple won't relase one, I won't. I think that the color rumor is made up (it's out of place with other Apple design), maybe not the 13.3 inch thing, but whatever idiot thoguht that the MBP was named to differentiate it from a future laptop is stupid. Why would apple give that away? Why would Apple lose so much name recognition?
Thanks ccool2ax...I needed a good laugh today.

Joe2000

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2005
London, UK.
A much better mockup...

I diddnt do it, but whoever did has some trick PS skills :eek:

I WANT ONE! :D

Attachments

• 92372679_74ba48d8cb_b.jpg
    92372679_74ba48d8cb_b.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 201

DKZ

macrumors member
Mar 14, 2006
Joe2000 said:
I diddnt do it, but whoever did has some trick PS skills :eek:

I WANT ONE! :D

Thats crazy, but is that really widescreen form? It looks like a normal 4/3 to me. But I sure wouldn't be sorry if thats how it'll end up looking.

Joe2000

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2005
London, UK.
With a dodgey Screenshot!

I put this screenshot in using "MGI Photosuite" on a 900MHz Duron as i have sold both my Mac's in anticipation of the MacBook :eek: i know its not great quality but i had a go...
PS: Yes i does look like just 4:3 to me, as i said i diddnt make the mockup, i'm just posting it and adding screenshot. I think this PeeCee i'm using will die if I try and make it widescreen lol! Maybe another day!

Attachments

• MacBook Mockup W Screenshot.jpg
    MacBook Mockup W Screenshot.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 176

superwoman

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2005
Monterey,CA
fozy said:
iBooks currently do not support dvi out, do you think the new product will?

The MBPs come with dual-link DVI. So if the iBooks come with just DVI, that'll be enough differentiation. So yes, I think they'll come with DVI out. Besides, Apple does not seems like a company stuck with old technology.

fozy

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2003
Aspen, CO
superwoman said:
The MBPs come with dual-link DVI. So if the iBooks come with just DVI, that'll be enough differentiation. So yes, I think they'll come with DVI out. Besides, Apple does not seems like a company stuck with old technology.

You are correct, Apple does not seem like a company stuck with old technology. But they are sales savvy and love to upsell and pressure pro users to use their higher end products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.