Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilenceBe

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Belgium
Not to downplay your situation, but don't people who work professionally with color sensitive materials generally purchase screens in the $4k+ range?
Does that even matter ? They advertise the machine with "excellent color consistency". The meaning of "excellent color consistency" doesn't change magically because of the line of work you do with it. Or its consistent or its not.

It is not that the TS is asking for perfect real colors, Adobe RGB support or perfect gamut. Then would a >2k screen make sense.

If I should believe some people all those doing multimedia have 2K> EIZO monitors at the office or for everything graphics related you need such kind of monitors. I know for a professional fact that this isn't the reality in a lot of cases.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
How is it any different than calling Apple and saying that you'd like to buy a MBP, but you know they are having some event in January, so could you please tell me what you'll be announcing so I know what to buy?

The OP has the right to know about any repairs he is sending in for, or about a delivery date of a new computer, or a refund if he wishes, but demanding company information because you feel like you deserve it is not only unproductive, but it will get you sent to the back of the line in almost every instance.

because the OP has already laid out the $$$$$ for this machine, and if Apple do put the complaint at the back of the line then so should the OP to them.

re-reading your posts I can't tell if you are being ironic or serious.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Not to downplay your situation, but don't people who work professionally with color sensitive materials generally purchase screens in the $4k+ range?

There was a time when most professionals thought that Apple's line of Cinema Displays (before they went glossy) was good enough for the job - or, in other words, Apple's Cinema Displays were accepted as professional equipment.

Besides, it's rather hard to find a display that's more expensive than a 30" Apple Cinema Display. And for its money, its display quality is not even better than that of the 30" Dell 3008 which is sold at around 1200 bucks.

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Be that as it may, it is also the truth.
I agree.

As much as we'd all like to believe that there is some warm, loving person on the other end of the countless emails like peskaa's that Apple receives daily, carefully reading each word and taking notes, the fact is that that that customer relations fantasy world just doesn't exist. What you've got, at best, is a roomful of harried Apple employees scanning a few lines of the email to get the gist and marking down "positive" or "negative". Every now and then, some resonance in a given piece of correspondence may strike a given CS rep's fancy and they set it aside. Whining, anger, foul language, sarcasm, or a letter longer than a short paragraph ain't gonna get that job done.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK

Depends.

We have a bunch of £3k Eizo monitors that display 100% of the NTSC gamut, but for most of our work we are happy to use IPS panels that display sRGB or beyond (a lot of our output is onto screens in operating theatres/clinics which are not *that* high spec), and the iMac's panel is certainly good enough for that.

Bar that, the issue is simply that it goes yellow at the bottom, which renders it pointless. Oh, and the flicker.

DRHENRY

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2010
iMAC 27 inch display problem - more

I am another with a brand new iMAC 27 with the screen display issues. There is clearly an issue that Apple knows about and is still selling the machines with no direct info to registered user. This is not only frustrating but costly. I will be filing a suit in small claims court for my time spent in trying to solve this problem. I want Apple to come to the house, replace my machine and do it quickly. This is a known problem we as users should not need to carry these things to the store to have them fixed! This is what happens, unaffected by shut down and restart, and then goes away by itself at random times.

Attachments

• DSC00378.jpg
    DSC00378.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC00379.jpg
    DSC00379.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 83

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I guess the question for you guys is this: do I just keep returning, or do I call it a day and ask for a refund? If I do the latter, do I replace with another Mac of some kind?

My answers: Yes, you should ask for a refund and no, you should not replace it with another Mac of some kind (unless you are locked into applications that only exist in Mac OS X versions).

Since you use that stuff professionally, buy a Dell Precision workstation with their 30" screen. They replace it on the next business day when it shows a defect - and that I know by my own experience with Dell service. We had a 30" screen from Dell at the World Health Organization that showed a line in the middle of screen. I called Dell and had a replacement for the screen in the next morning. And we also only had three years of standard business support for the screen, which is the default option - you cannot get it with a lesser support option.

In all the years that I've worked professionally in IT, Dell is the only company of many that has never disappointed me with their support. Sure, they've also shipped merchandise that broke after a while, but they were always there the next day with a full replacement or a technician dropped by the next day and fixed the thing. That was usually good and fast enough for the places where I've worked, so I never paid for the SAME business day support option.

The basic message here is that with Dell, I don't think you'd have to write to the CEO just to get some service.

peskaa

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 13, 2008
London, UK
My answers: Yes, you should ask for a refund and no, you should not replace it with another Mac of some kind (unless you are locked into applications that only exist in Mac OS X versions).

Since you use that stuff professionally, buy a Dell Precision workstation with their 30" screen. They replace it on the next business day when it shows a defect - and that I know by my own experience with Dell service. We had a 30" screen from Dell at the World Health Organization that showed a line in the middle of screen. I called Dell and had a replacement for the screen in the next morning. And we also only had three years of standard business support for the screen, which is the default option - you cannot get it with a lesser support option.

In all the years that I've worked professionally in IT, Dell is the only company of many that has never disappointed me with their support. Sure, they've also shipped merchandise that broke after a while, but they were always there the next day with a full replacement or a technician dropped by the next day and fixed the thing. That was usually good and fast enough for the places where I've worked, so I never paid for the SAME business day support option.

The basic message here is that with Dell, I don't think you'd have to write to the CEO just to get some service.

Our applications are cross-platform, so switching away from OS X would be feasible. I'd miss some aspects, although I would have a MacBook Pro to use.

I'll have a look at their workstations and see what they can offer. A Mac Pro is always an option, but rather overpriced on their current generation and unlikely to go down on the next. Issue is, there are such things as "budgets" ;)

fa8362

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2008
I will be filing a suit in small claims court for my time spent in trying to solve this problem. I want Apple to come to the house, replace my machine and do it quickly. This is a known problem we as users should not need to carry these things to the store to have them fixed!

Good luck with that. Apple never promised you any of what you seem to think you're entitled to. If you're disatisified, you should get your money back.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Good luck with that. Apple never promised you any of what you seem to think you're entitled to. If you're disatisified, you should get your money back.

I've been 3 times with Apple...won each time. I think Apple knows a lot of what they make is rubbish...

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
Would you just wait until they finally fix this, or a new revision?

Difficult to say. Apple surely is working on the problems, but one can only speculate when they will bring out a fix: could be a few weeks, could be more. And as for the next revision, maybe 4 or 5 months? Maybe some others can chime in on this.

Sir Cecil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I saw an ad saying "BMW – The Ultimate Driving Machine", so I sold my Ferrari and bought a BMW for a quarter of the price.
But after six exchanges, the BMW still won't go as fast as the Ferrari. Now the dealer says he won't exchange any more and all he'll do is give me my money back. I'm at breaking point with BMW.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Tough talk with no details. Why am I not surprised?

what details do you want?

they didn't even respond to the last one.

I saw an ad saying "BMW – The Ultimate Driving Machine", so I sold my Ferrari and bought a BMW for a quarter of the price.
But after six exchanges, the BMW still won't go as fast as the Ferrari. Now the dealer says he won't exchange any more and all he'll do is give me my money back. I'm at breaking point with BMW.

tell me if you need to painfully obvious flaws in this pointing out.

I'd feel kinda dirty doing it without a direct request, it's so much without merit.

tombb

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
Texas

I think you should give BMW one more chance. ;)

But seriously, have you ever noticed how difficult it is to "win an argument" in a web forum. I'd stick to easier things, such as achieving peace in the Middle East, or something...

tombb

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2009
Texas
Damn, I forgot January 2nd was International "Any opinion you post is the truth" Day.

:)

These international holidays have lost their appeal, even since being abducted by aliens...

...who came to Earth complaining of yellow iMacs, he said in a futile attempt to stay on topic.

sparkie1984

macrumors 68030
Dec 20, 2009
a small village near London
fair play for the email mate!!

im following this with interest as im from the uk too! although havent had any problems with mine at all, but itll be good to see how apple respond to you

and how did sir cecil know that we all speak like that? do you either live here or holiday here???

top marks old chap........... tally ho!!!

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
because the OP has already laid out the $$$$$ for this machine, and if Apple do put the complaint at the back of the line then so should the OP to them.

re-reading your posts I can't tell if you are being ironic or serious.

I am 100% serious. No use sugar coating the truth for anyone.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009

The solution to a minor Apple problem is to go to Dell?

That's like walking in front of a bus to forget you stubbed your toe this morning.

SilenceBe

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Belgium
tell me if you need to painfully obvious flaws in this pointing out.

I'd feel kinda dirty doing it without a direct request, it's so much without merit.
Watch that they always talk about about the "ultimate" (display). They never seem to touch the other stuff Apple advertises with.

Every discussion where somebody points out the obvious that Apple advertises on its own website with the words "excellent color consistency" they ignore that fact... .

bizack

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2009
I wrote a brief, one paragraph email to sjobs@apple.com regarding my 27" iMac. First time I've ever done this (related to the discolored screen, flickering, etc). Within one day I received a phone call from Apple Customer Relations (my email was read by Mr. Jobs and forwarded to the Customer Relations Dept). My iMac is being replaced (get to hold on to the defective one until the new one arrives). The entire process was expedited (the machine was supposed to ship on the 14th of January, it shipped on the 31st of December). There seemed to be a genuine interest regarding the problems I discussed, and I was politely promised that the new machine would not have any of the defects I mentioned in my email. So basically, short and sweet emails work. I'd suggest not resorting to name calling, words of hostility or 'threats' to never buy an Apple product again or anything along those lines. I think most companies are open to constructive feedback and/or complaints about a product one considers to be unsatisfactory. Apple's customer care is truly top notch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.