At Congressional Hearing Apple Says 'The World is Watching' iPhone Unlocking Battle

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Mar 1, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's head lawyer Bruce Sewell and FBI Director James Comey today testified at a U.S. congressional hearing on encryption issues, where both sides reiterated many of the same arguments that have been circulating since Apple was ordered to help the FBI unlock the iPhone used by San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook.

[​IMG]

Several interesting tidbits came up throughout the testimony, which lasted for most of the day. One of the most concerning points raised at the hearing (via The Verge) covered the precedent that would be set for other countries around the world should Apple be forced to break into an iPhone in the United States.
    Sewell went on to say that Apple has not received similar demands for data from "any other country," but that if the company is ordered to comply, "it will be a hot minute before we get those requests from other places."

Sewell also shared an interesting tidbit on the disappearance of Malaysia Flight 370 when asked how quickly Apple is able to respond to government requests for assistance. When the flight went missing, Apple started working with officials "within one hour" to attempt to locate the plane. "We had Apple operators working with telephone providers all over the world, with the airlines, and with the FBI to find a ping," he said.

At the hearing, FBI Director James Comey testified during the first panel, while Sewell testified during the second, accompanied by Worcester Polytechnic Institute professor Susan Landau, who sided with Apple, and New York District Attorney Cyrus Vance, who sided with the FBI.

Comey asked the committee to consider the implications of places law enforcement can't reach. "If there are warrant-proof spaces in American life, what does that mean? What are the costs?" Comey also reiterated the FBI's position that no other agency, such as the National Security Agency, could or would provide the FBI with a tool able to break an iPhone 5c running iOS 9.

Susan Landau raised some salient questions about the FBI's available technology, suggesting the government agency needs to focus on innovating and recruiting talent to build better tools rather than asking Apple to build the software. "Instead of laws and regulations that weaken our protections, we should enable law enforcement to develop twenty-first century capabilities for conducting investigations," she said.

New York District Attorney Cyrus Vance said New York now has more than a hundred devices it would like to see unlocked, further confirming Apple's point that the argument isn't about just one iPhone. "No device or company, no matter how popular, should be able to exempt itself from court obligations unilaterally," he told the committee.

Statements from Comey, Sewell, Landau, and Vance outlining their positions are available from the Judiciary Committee website, as is a video that includes some of the testimony from the hearing. Apple and the FBI will face off at a court hearing over the iPhone issue on March 22.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: At Congressional Hearing Apple Says 'The World is Watching' iPhone Unlocking Battle

2. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

One complex problem that has to be resolved and some on that committee or most don't have a clue.

3. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

There is already a place like that. It's the human brain.

4. usarioclave macrumors 65816

5. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

Not if Comey had his way.

"Your personal private thoughts are protected by the vicious guard dog that is your not having to say anything to us. We're just asking you to take the guard dog away."

6. Matstrenet macrumors newbie

The statement that the federal agencies need to move into the 21st century is correct. If it is possible for Apple to build the software to unlock the iPhones, why is it then not possible for the FBI to build it themselves. If I ran a business that relied on the security of my system, I would not knowingly infringe on that security by building something that can break into it, this lowers the transparency of the safety of the data of consumers. Lock pickers can crack safes, hackers can breach encryption. The right people just need to be hired.

7. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

Oh I agree. Imagine a device that allowed brain to brain communication. Comey will want a backdoor in that also.

8. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

9. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

The world is watching. I'm watching, and rooting for Apple, from the Netherlands

10. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

To most people Minority Report was a horrific sic-fi movie. To Comey it was apparently a Disney fantasy.

11. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

It's amazing that the FBI has forgotten about all the trouble that the founding fathers went to to protect people from unreasonable searches and self incrimination. I know that this case is very different, but at least our politicians in the beginning were clear that government had to be limited in its power over people's freedoms.

12. JPIS macrumors regular

JPIS

This case will certainly get to the Supreme Court & will absolutely go in Apple's favor regardless if there are eight OR nine justices.

13. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

This is some sort of Spring Olympic 2016 edition.

14. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

He's damn right the world's watching. This is a world issue. Not an American issue. Sincerely, a Dutch person on Apple's side.

15. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

If Apple loses this case, it would be one small step for the FBI, one giant loss of freedom for mankind.

16. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

To me the key issue here is that the FBI is not asking for access to Apple's records, they are trying to conscript them to write custom software to do things that Apple is morally opposed to. Imagine that the FBI is successful. What would stop them from getting a court order for anyone to make something for them that they could use to do things that you find morally repugnant. It's about more than just data and security, it's about the right of the government to force you to create something that you believe is wrong. Not a world I want to live in.

17. samcraig macrumors P6

Why has there been the assumption that the gov't wants a permanent backdoor to iOS on all devices vs having Apple create a version of iOS for internal purposes only that can be used when petitioned?

18. JPIS macrumors regular

JPIS

Apple is not going to lose this case.

19. KALLT macrumors 601

Is the video broken? I cannot skip to the second part of the hearing...

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

The world is watching is sufficient evidence that Apple needs to be taken over by the government and split up into separate groups, after first jettisoning Beats, Apple Music, and that ignoble watch.

21. Nunyabinez macrumors 68000

Nunyabinez

Well the FBI said they have 12 phones they would like to use it on and the NY DA just said they had 100 phones they would like to use it on. Once it exists, it's hard to imagine that the powers that be will just let Apple delete it.

22. Tech198, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016

Tech198 macrumors G4

did anyone actually watch the entire 4 hours ? ... i fell asleep half way through... (I thought there was a 2 hour limit on Youtube videos or something... )

What i saw so far, are they saying an iPhone 5c has "better" encryption than an encryption such as Google the NSA by-passed to collect their data regarding PRISM? I find that hard to believe.. Might be a bit of false accusations there.

How can u have a better encryption than the best ? which by the way, all banks use etc...

If i can actually watch the whole 4 hour this time, i'll celebrate at the end

She did have an iPhone with her... i thought that was interesting.....

23. samcraig macrumors P6

No I understand that. What I mean is that in other threads - people are assuming that they want Apple to create a backdoor that the FBI can access - thereby weakening iOS and a potential to be a further security risk. My point was - isn't it possible what they want (esp in this one case) is for Apple to create a version of their iOS which can be transferred to the phone in question to allow for brute force attacks to gain access?

24. Brookzy macrumors 68040

Brookzy

So frustrating watching the clueless questions.

I mean, technical ignorance is one thing... But asking questions that have already been answered numerous times, such as "could you technically create a backdoor?" is just incompetence.

25. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

Indeed.

Like bakers being forced to bake cakes for those who wilfully sin.