At last! A hardcase for the alu macbook!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kierennyc, Dec 3, 2008.

1. kierennyc macrumors regular

Well I just ordered the Black Speck satin via the official Speck site (fyi they're also available on the Apple store but only in Red), paid for priority next day shipping so should have it tomorrow! I was holding out for whatever Incase was going to come up with, but the wait was killing me so I ordered the speck instead.

Does anybody else have one yet?

For those interested heres the link (I know a lot of people having been waiting for something like this)

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/seethru-satin/macbook-13-new-aluminum/163

2. penfool macrumors newbie

Looks cool , let us know when you get it.
    any chance of some pics as well?

3. Ramius macrumors 6502

wow, thats as useless as useless as the Nyco Coolingfilter for the PS3. The darn thing is made out of aluminum!!!! And you're gonna put some plastic over to protect that? lol. I would understand it if it was the other way around.

4. seven.z macrumors newbie

the place i work at has tons of these specks hard cases .:D

5. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I'm waiting for the Incase one and it would protect the aluminum from this:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=609967

6. kierennyc thread starter macrumors regular

Will do!

Well I cant say that I agree. I plan to re-sell my mac one day, so anything which keeps it scratch free and in mint condition surely cant be a bad thing? (or useless as you put it).

7. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I would like to see how these are, I really want the Incase one, but I haven't heard anything when they might come out (I thing someone once said January). I didn't like the Speck brand for the whitebook, but maybe these will be better, so I will too would like to see pics, thanks!!

8. kierennyc thread starter macrumors regular

So I received my Speck see-thru case this morning and im extremely happy with it! Installation was a piece of cake and its a GREAT fit. The textures slightly rubberized and overall it feels like a quality product.

Highly reccomended to anyone who's in the market for a hard case!

I cant help but feel Incase has dropped the ball on this occasion as I for one would of chosen their product over Speck, but after receiving my case today I have no regrets what so ever!

Attached Files:

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I'm sorry but that looks terrible. All the time people spent waiting for an aluminium MacBook and people are just going to cover up the best part with some crazy plastic?

Yuck.

10. kierennyc thread starter macrumors regular

You're entitled to your opinion!

I prefer function over form. Its a computer not a fashion accessory!

11. penfool macrumors newbie

12. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

I would get it if it was cheaper. A simple slip case will be just as effective for me.

13. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

I try to find cases that dont look like there is a 2grand computer inside, its for protection...
    well I live in a 3rd world contry so its not so secure...

14. kierennyc thread starter macrumors regular

The other thing I forget to mention is that the case doesn't restrict the tilt angle of the screen at all - It goes all the way back.

15. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Pass Speck hard casses I saw for the Whitebook felt like a cheap plastic, and they were very clear. This one looks like the Incase one (from the whitebooks) where its not clean and looks like a "soft touch" type plastic. So how does it feel? I really like it a lot and i might get this and not wait for the Incase one.

EDIT: I wish they had a frost color.. i might get the black one if i do get this brand.

16. kierennyc thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly - its pretty much an exact copy of the old incase white macbook case. The case itself is rigid but rubbery to the touch. Its also slightly opaque so the apple logo still shines through on the back.

17. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I'm going have to check it out then. It's cool the Macbook opens all the way still, that was 1 the only thing I hated about the old Incase brand.
    Lunch time... going to see if the Apple Store in Oakbrook has any :D
    Thanks for your help and posting pics.

18. Grey Mouser macrumors newbie

Precisely, so why did you put it in a case? Carry it naked, let it get scratched.. "It's not a fashion accessory".

19. kierennyc thread starter macrumors regular

You obviously didn't read my post about RE-SELLING it in the future.

20. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

He said before he would like to resell it, and this is why I am doing this also. The better it looks in 2-4 yrs when we try to resell it, the more we will get for it. I also buy used things, but I don't want it to look used. ;)

21. Grey Mouser macrumors newbie

So just tell the buyer it's not a fashion accessory. They should accept it just like you expect everyone else to accept it here.
    :confused:

22. kierennyc thread starter macrumors regular

I dont expect anyone to accept anything? You must selectively read posts as I also said he's entitled to his opinion!

23. spitfyre macrumors newbie

anyone know if they have these in the apple stores (not online) yet?

i am guarding my macbook investment like i would a penis (if i had one). it's not going in there without protection.

i want it sheathed in a thick layer of plastic so it doesn't feel anything.

24. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I agree. That looks bad. Might as well have bought a refurb BlackBook. I say a skin does essentially the same thing for resale and lets you appreciate the look. If it's not a fashion accessory, why keep it so protected. The other thing about all the Speck hardcases that is rather unfortunate is that they allow dirt to get in between the case and the MacBook which will then scratch the MacBook as it moves around. They are great for giving extra outside protection, but not for keeping it scratch free. That is where the skin really helps. The clear Speck case looks better in my opinion but still would avoid it for the same reason.

25. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I think it looks great! Quick question, does the black show fingerprints?

Thanks for the pics by the way! ;)