AT&T 3g Edge contract. GET ME OUT MANK!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by harryhood, Jan 13, 2009.

1. harryhood macrumors regular

I do not want to pay the extra $30 a month for the ability to use internet wherever. It's not worth $30 to me. Is there ANY way around this? I HAVE TO lower my iphone bill. Way to much to afford.

Talk to me.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You cannot remove the 3G data plan. You can remove the data plan on a first-gen iPhone.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

only option is to pay the etf and start with a new phone. good thing you will be able to keep your iphone though to use as an ipod

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Unless he's still in his first month of 3G service (provided he even HAS a 3G; he didn't say...), then he'll have to return the iPhone.

5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

6. Airforcekid macrumors 65816

Airforcekid

keep in mind your iPhone will send and recieve data this will exceed $30 a month even when it's not in use.

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You can tell your carrier to block data transfers to and from your SIM card, and therefore your phone. But you CANNOT do this with the 3G iPhone, and we don't know what iPhone he even has.

8. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Sell your iphone (used 16g is worth almost $500 on ebay) and get another phone.

9. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

i have a 3G.

no. i don't want to sell it. i just don't want the $30 a month for slow as internet. I wonder if i called at&t and bitched about how where I live I don't even get 3G service they'd let me loose?

HMMMMM.

WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE SO DAMN EXPENSIVE?

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

they wont let you out. why would they? your only option is to pay the etf and if you have had it longer than 30 days, you dont have to return the phone

also, you knew the cost of the phone before signing the contract. if it was too expensive, you shouldnt have gotten it in the first place...

11. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Did the price go up after you read over and agreed to the contract?

12. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Agreed. With all things in life it's your job to make sure you can cover the cost. Otherwise you end up paying more anyway....

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Man, it's as if they sneakily advertise the $30/month thing right in your face as you sign up for it. I mean geez, does anybody do any checking of stuff before impluse spending on stuff like a phone or car?

14. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

i knew how much it was going to cost, its just such a stupid amount of money to pay for a ****ing cell phone. its actually quite sad.

15. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Try to get a FAN discount applied to your account if you don't have one yet then. Every penny helps.

I paid roughly $550 for the iPhone, and I'm totally loving it.

16. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

whats a FAN discount?

17. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

It's called Foundatin Account Number, or simply a discount applied to your AT&T bill. It depends on who you're employer or school is. Once deemed eligible, the discounts range from 5% to 28%, with 15% being the average they give. Search the forums for more info, or Google it. AT&T has a website that will let you use your work/school email address to verify the discount so it could be applied to your account without any hassle of going to a retail store.

Another thing to save money is by doing that Refer-A-Friend program of AT&T, and you can get $125 a year for that if you find 5 eligible referrals.

18. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

What the hell does MANK mean? Is it a misspelling of man? because the exclamation mark is pretty far from k on the keyboard

19. harryhood thread starter macrumors regular

yo mank!

yo mang!

20. KingHuds macrumors 6502

Put your sim in a different phone go into store or call in and ask to remove the data plan because you are no longer using an iPhone. Bam no more data plan, then unlock your iPhone and use it to your hearts extent, just don't use any data or youre SOL.

21. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Huh?

22. jason72780 macrumors regular

23. spacecadet610 macrumors 6502

Check out my sig for details on how to get the AT&T FAN discount.

24. kinkster macrumors 6502a

Some people have had success with:

Getting the IMEI number from a different phone. Use that phone to call up, and give them the new IMEI number. Ask them to remove the data plan because you switched to a cheepo phone(whichever one it might be).

Or if you only wanna pay $20 and get EDGE, give them a first gen iPhone IMEI.

25. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Won't work. AT&T is not stupid. It might work for one billing period, and then try calling back with another story.