AT&T abusing customers!!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macgabriel87, Jul 11, 2008.

1. macgabriel87 macrumors newbie

Remember when you could walk into the Apple store and walk out just a few minutes later with your iPhone? Well those good times are over, and AT&T doesn't like you.

What AT&T did today was nothing less than abusive. AT&T in conjunction with Apple have FORCED all of us to sit in lines 6 hours long stretching across malls just to activate our phones when we could have done it in the comfort of our own homes!

Down with AT&T and their wiretapping!

2. Bernie-Mac macrumors 65816

If you dont want to wait in line for 6 hours, dont. Apple or AT&T isnt holding a gun to your head, go buy a nokia or something

3. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

No, people queue of their own accord.

4. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Maybe you forgot that they lost tons of $$$ on sending phones home with no contracts? Maybe you forgot that EVERY OTHER PHONE IN THE WORLD is activated in store?

I didn't even think they gave contracts to 8 year olds.

[​IMG]

5. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

6. macgabriel87 thread starter macrumors newbie

of course i know that. I wasn't forced to do anything. but I am pissed at how apple is treating it's customers!!! and im not the only idiot buying into this! Apple and AT&T need to return to what they used to do: sell iphones, and take them home to activate!

7. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

They would if people didnt unlock but sadly people do and as they say "Tough Tittie said the Kittie."

8. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

If you chose to not sleep last night and waste your whole day in line, that is solely your choice. It's not like this is a once in a lifetime event and if you don't buy it today you'll never have it. Apple plans to sell 10 MILLION of these things over the next year! If you go to an Apple store 1 week from today, there will be an abundance of stock, no lines, and no activation issues.

I didn't stand in line last year and I didn't stand in line today. My choice, so take responsibility for yours and stop complaining.

9. macgabriel87 thread starter macrumors newbie

it's the un-necessary abuse that is directly straight to customers, without much warning either. I don't recall AT&T says they were going to make every customer wait 15 minutes to activate their phones. So, 15 minutes each person X 500people. I was suckered into staying in line, so I am the idiot too, I understand.
    But it wasn't like this last year!

10. southerndoc macrumors 65816

southerndoc

Nobody is forcing you to stand in line. You could wait a week and go buy one. That would save about 4-6 hours of your time.

I went to the Apple Store today. Saw the line and left. I'll try again next week.

11. aridon macrumors member

I hope that was a failed attempt at sarcasm.

This is exactly why I didn't bother getting a 3g phone today. If you want to be on the cutting edge don't be surprised if you bleed a bit when you get cut.

12. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

blame the unlockers.

13. Storm9 macrumors member

This is the only way to ensure that only people with AT&T contracts walk out the store with a iPhone. AT&T is paying for most of the iPhone cost.

Do you have any idea what would happen if it was like old iPhone and anyone can buy it? AT&T would lose billions of dollars. They have no intention of paying for iPhones that are not going to be used on their network.

14. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

well, at&t definitely is not being customer oriented here. at least in store. the phone reps have been very good. but the in-store managers have been flat out giving people wrong information, which is bull. yes, nobody is forcing us to buy but whatever happened to courteous business practices? at&t ticked a lot of people off today and it won't be easily forgotten without something soothing for their longtime customers and newbies alike

15. cjandnw macrumors 6502

As an Apple / AT&T exec...How do you not know that this instore activation process would be an ipocalypse

16. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I will remember to use that line next time I have to wait in line to get my food at the restaurant. I cant believe that my waiter made me wait 15 minutes for my food. It doesnt matter that the cook had to cook others that ordered before me ... I want my food and I want my food now.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No. The activation process had NOTHING, NOTHING to do with people sitting in lines. That's just the lunacy of people who feel it absolutely necessary to camp out before the stores have even opened en masse. And for what? A collection of glass, metal, plastic and silicon? And here you are, getting all worked up and blaming AT&T and Apple for this?

If people had been patient and treated this phone launch like, oh, every other phone that has been released, the hysteria would not have ensued. People would have just gotten their phones when the stores opened, and if they weren't in stock, oh well, come back later.

The cluster-f- that was this launch was ENTIRELY a construct created by a public who hyped themselves into a frenzy.

that said, I harbor no ill will against those people, so long as they understood that getting an iPhone today was not guaranteed. But to go on a rant like you have? Freakin' unbelievable. You have lost ALL connection with common sense and reality.

So cool your jets, and enjoy the flames. You deserve it.

18. jciapara macrumors regular

AT&T did say that it would take around 15 minutes for you to get approved, sign contract and activate the iPhone. Maybe you weren't up to date.

19. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

for what its worth, even before the stop opened, the store manager came out and told us that it will be 15-20 minutes per customer once you get in the store. She was very apologetic but the entire crowd was cool cause we knew WHAT TO EXPECT before we got there.

20. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Don't remind me. I'm just waiting for the mob with pitchforks to attack me in the night.
    I didn't unlock my own phone, but I made a few bucks unlocking other peoples. :(

21. DamFu macrumors regular

DamFu

What abuse did you suffer? Did someone beat you or call you names? It was pretty well documented that there would be lines and what to expect. I went to the Apple Store at 6 this morning and was number 30 in line. By the time the store opened, the employees were walking up and down the lines with laptops so they could get the best information to answer questions. Other employees were walking up and down the line passing out bottled water and coffee. The brought in lunch from Chik-Filet and cookies as well. There were at least 50 machines dedicated to activation and 25-30 Apple Store employees there to help. While my activation took much longer than I had hoped, I certainly do not think poorly of Apple. They could not have been friendlier.

22. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

23. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Well said. I really like that "quote". :)

24. alexplank macrumors member

No, apple said that about their own retail stores.

AT&T made no comment about that whatsoever.

25. buccsmf1 macrumors 6502

you do understand that YOU DIDNT HAVE TO BUY THE PHONE TODAY. ITS CALLED DEMAND............................... JUST WAIT A FEW DAYS AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO WALK IN TO A STORE AND BUY ONE........

/end rant

apple fanboys are just insanely narrow minded sometimes...