Carrier AT&T account being used on a diff. Carrier phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Elyphant, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Elyphant macrumors regular

Elyphant

I thought I saw someone post on here that you can use an AT&T sim card for a sprint or verizon phone without any problems? I wanted to verify so I can check both models if I decide to just reserve a phone for pickup instead of waiting for AT&T to get their crap together with my Jet Black iphone 7 plus.

2. Veloist macrumors newbie

Veloist

I'm typing on my Black 7+ Right now & I have a Sprint model with an AT&T sim :)

3. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

I know the Verizon one will work for sure no matter what. Apparently Verizon has some agreement that all their iPhones sold have to be unlocked. Not sure about Sprint. It will definitely work on the Verizon though.

4. VertPin macrumors 6502

VertPin

Apparently the Verizon and Sprint model will work with any carrier. However, this is only as long as they are bought in full price. If you're purchasing the phone full price from the Apple Store, the Verizon or Spring model will come unlocked and carry the Qualcomm modem which is capable of working on AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint.

5. Elyphant thread starter macrumors regular

Elyphant

So i should have no issues at all with an att sim card and a verizon phone lol?

6. Elyphant thread starter macrumors regular

Elyphant

What if im doing the iphone upgrade program? Technically its paid in full right lol?

7. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there's such a thing as a "locked" Verizon iPhone anymore.

8. veedubshafer macrumors 6502

LOL that's true lol

9. Elyphant thread starter macrumors regular

Elyphant

Lol i just want to make sure before i go get a verizon phone and it doesn't work LOL

10. legioxi macrumors 6502a

All Verizon LTE phones are unlocked, not just iPhones. It was part of their agreement when buying the 700mhz spectrum for LTE.

11. Elyphant thread starter macrumors regular

Elyphant

My friend who works for att told me that i have to have a verizon phone number to activate the phone first tho

12. legioxi macrumors 6502a

For Verizon, it doesn't matter if it is under contract, partially paid, etc, it will be unlocked.

13. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Nope. Any SIM will work. I've activated many Verizon phones on other services over the years since they released LTE models.

14. Elyphant thread starter macrumors regular

Elyphant

Okay cool!

15. xlovepink88x macrumors member

16. legioxi macrumors 6502a

The GSM carrier model lack a CDMA radio (two different manufacturers of the chips). Only a CDMA carrier phone is truly universal this year.

17. xlovepink88x macrumors member

Everyone best buy Iphone 7 is UNIVERSAL, THEY ARE NOT SPECIFIC GSM OR CDMA MODELS! YOU CAN GRAB ANY IPHONE 7 AND IT WILL WORK REGARDLESS OF THE CARRIER ITS GOING ON

18. KPOM macrumors G5

Technically it is paid in full, but the way Apple does the iPhone Upgrade Program, they take your account information and activate a phone (SIM included) from the carrier stock. Also, when you reserve for store pickup, you need to select a carrier and reserve using your account information. So you would likely have to accept an "AT&T" iPhone. I think this is governed by their agreements with the carriers. If they have any Verizon or Sprint stock available you can ask if they can sell you that instead.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 20, 2016 ---
    That was true with the 6 and 6S, but not the 7. They are using an Intel modem in the 7 AT&T and T-Mobile models that does not have a CDMA radio (because Intel didn't license the technology from Qualcomm).

19. xlovepink88x macrumors member

20. xlovepink88x macrumors member

All the best buy stock iPhone 7 they receive are universal. That's why they do not include sim cards in them already for specific carriers!

21. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Look at http://www.apple.com/iphone-7/specs/ under the Cellular and Wireless header. The gsm phones lack cdma radios.

22. neworleans-7 macrumors regular

neworleans-7

Yeah at Best Buy they only sell from one batch and they pair it with the SIM of your carrier.

Edit: The model iPhone 7 Best Buy (at least the one in my area) is selling is the A1660 which is the CDMA/GSM variant.

23. xlovepink88x macrumors member

So then best buy must be receiving only CDMA phones to activate on ATT

24. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

If you pay for the phone in full it is "unlocked" that means it is not restricted by the carrier and can work on the network the phone supports.

ATT and Tmobile are GSM only. They will work with ATT or Tmobile only
    Sprint/Verizon have CDMA and GSM. They will work on all of the networks.

Verizon takes it a step further b.c it can be activate with new service on any of the networks. Verizon will not activate new service with a sprint phone, but if you already have verizon service the sprint phone will work.

Verizon > Sprint > Tmobile/ATT

When the SIM free version become available it is just like the verizon phone. Verizon would active that phone on it's network.

Every year it is a little different. The above applies to the 7/7+ phones only. Last year all phones had GSM and CDMA.

25. Elyphant thread starter macrumors regular

Elyphant

I ended up opening an account with Verizon, activated the iPhone on Verizon, took out the sim and registered the IMEI on my att account with a new SIM card and then cancelled my Verizon account lol. Found a loophole! Currently on my phone it's unlocked through iPhone upgrade program and using att network