Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced its financial results for the first quarter of 2009, and among the highlights was the announcement that AT&T had activated 1.6 million iPhone 3Gs during the quarter. Continuing a trend seen in previous quarters, customers new to AT&T accounted for 40% of iPhone 3G activations.
In the first quarter, AT&T's iPhone 3G activations totaled more than 1.6 million, more than 40 percent of them for customers who were new to the company. AT&T's U.S. iPhone exclusive continues to deliver subscribers with ARPUs (average monthly revenues per subscriber) that are approximately 1.6 times higher and churn rates that are significantly lower than the company's overall postpaid subscriber base.
While AT&T's 1.6 million activations were down from 1.9 million in fourth quarter of 2008 and 2.4 million in the third quarter of 2008, the decline was not unexpected given the iPhone's product cycle. Overall, AT&T saw a net gain of 1.2 million wireless subscribers for the quarter. Wireless revenue rose 9.8% year-over-year and made up 42.1% of AT&T's total revenue, up from 38.5% in the year-ago quarter.

Apple will release its earnings report for the second fiscal quarter (first calendar quarter) of 2009 later today.

Article Link: AT&T Activates 1.6 Million iPhone 3Gs in First Quarter of 2009

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
AT&T needs Apple so it's likely that they will offer serious concessions to Apple in order to extend the iPhone contract.

.:R2theT

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
VR6
AT&T needs Apple so it's likely that they will offer serious concessions to Apple in order to extend the iPhone contract.

Exactly. The other providers in the U.S. must still be kicking themselves for being so short-sighted as to the iPhone's demand.

I would think Apple holds all the cards in any upcoming negotiations.

TechForAgents

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
This is why AT&T will be holding on to their US iPhone exclusivity with both hands and their teeth.

Agreed. I'd be really surprised if they let it go, but this could mean better features to AT&T users if Apple negotiates to force their network to be faster, or offer additional features.

"We'll stick with you if you do x, y, and z." Not that simple, obviously, but Apple could be in a leveraged position to help the consumers.

adamgalas

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2009
1.6 million?

http://poweredbysteam.com/2009/01/iphone-sales-by-quarter/

First quarter Iphone sales where 4.6 million so how can only 1.6 million have been activated?

Is the site I checked incorrect?

I hope not. According to powestream 11.5 million Iphones in 2008, with Q1 sales being almost double that of 2008. If that is the case than I could definetely see them selling at least 15 million Iphones in 09, bad economy be damned.

ateslik

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
This is surprising to me. My friend gave me his iPhone 3G (he likes his blackberry better). So, I checked into the rates at ATT. What an ***** rip.

Right now I'm on an 8 year old contract with T-Mobile. It is an 850 minute Family plan. My wife and I are the only ones on it. It costs us $69.99 plus taxes, surcharges, etc. and usually comes out to about $90/mo.

ATT only offers a 700 and 1400 minute plan. The 700 plan is $69.99 plus $30.00 for data, $99.99 total. Same price as my current T-Mobile plan for 150 less minutes a month..., and a 42% extra charge for data? Um, huh? Okay... but we really need more than 700 minutes. The 1400 minute plan is $89.99 plus $30.00 for data, $119.99 total. A little less than DOUBLE what we're paying now... just for data on an iPhone? And thats BEFORE the taxes, surcharges, etc. I'm not doing that.

Since we've been with T-Mobile for 8 years, I decided to go check them out. They still offer our current plan for $69.99/mo... but now with 1000 minutes instead of 850.

Sorry ATT. Wake the F up. I can jailbreak this thing and save a bunch of money. Oh no, I'll miss visual voicemail. Up the 700 minute plan to 1000 minutes and mabye we can talk (although 42% extra for data is a RIP).

jholzner

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
Champaign, IL

First quarter Iphone sales where 4.6 million so how can only 1.6 million have been activated?

I hope not. According to powestream 11.5 million Iphones in 2008, with Q1 sales being almost double that of 2008. If that is the case than I could definetely see them selling at least 15 million Iphones in 09, bad economy be damned.

Well, Q1 for Apple is Oct-Dec so we are now in Q2 for Apple. Those numbers are from the previous quarter. Also, these are US only activations. We'll know everything tonight once Apple announces their numbers.

ph0rk

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2003
SWVA
This is surprising to me. My friend gave me his iPhone 3G (he likes his blackberry better). So, I checked into the rates at ATT. What an ***** rip.

Right now I'm on an 8 year old contract with T-Mobile. It is an 850 minute Family plan. My wife and I are the only ones on it. It costs us $69.99 plus taxes, surcharges, etc. and usually comes out to about $90/mo.

ATT only offers a 700 and 1400 minute plan. The 700 plan is $69.99 plus $30.00 for data, $99.99 total. Same price as my current T-Mobile plan for 150 less minutes a month..., and a 42% extra charge for data? Um, huh? Okay... but we really need more than 700 minutes. The 1400 minute plan is $89.99 plus $30.00 for data, $119.99 total. A little less than DOUBLE what we're paying now... just for data on an iPhone? And thats BEFORE the taxes, surcharges, etc. I'm not doing that.

Since we've been with T-Mobile for 8 years, I decided to go check them out. They still offer our current plan for $69.99/mo... but now with 1000 minutes instead of 850.

Sorry ATT. Wake the F up. I can jailbreak this thing and save a bunch of money. Oh no, I'll miss visual voicemail. Up the 700 minute plan to 1000 minutes and mabye we can talk (although 42% extra for data is a RIP).

It is still less of a ripoff than, say, roadrunner cable (on a DOCSIS 1.0/1.1 node ~7-10m down, 256-512k up) when compared Verizon FIOS or similar.

I find it hard to sweat $5-20 a month after viewing my bill from TWC - for internet and digital cable they'll charge more than two iPhones on a plan from ATT!

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…

I totally agree. I have the first gen iPhone on the pay-as-you-go plan. $29.99/month for voice & $30 for data. You HAVE to get the minutes every month regardless of how many rollover minutes you have. At the moment, I have over $200 worth of minutes on my iPhone so obviously, I could do with less, and hopefully cheaper.

iPhoneNYC

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2007
With all of this new revenue from the iPhone, especially with a contract that runs out, one would think that ATT would spend money on getting it's existing system in better shape. I fear that talks of a sexy new 4G or whatever will lead to service even spotier than it is now.

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007
Have you checked T-Mobile's current rates? I bet they are a little higher then the plan you got 8 years ago. I work with someone with a similar TM plan and he will not let it go for anything...

Edit: I didn't read your whole message :). I know the person work with can not get anything even close to what they have now with TM with their new plans.

nick9999

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2009
Define an iPhone activation

AT&T's iPhone 3G activations totaled more than 1.6 million, more than 40 percent of them for customers who were new to the company

Could most of the other 60% be existing iPhone 3g owners who automatically activated during a ‘restore’ operation in iTunes after the phone broke or when installing the 3 different betas in the first quarter. It says iPhone activated each time...

Noooo... AT&T wouldn't do that to investors. After all they treat their customers like gold, right?!

TrailingZee

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Silly Clown Valley
Perhaps, but Verizon (and Sprint) had the added hurdle of getting apple to make a CDMA version.

If the latest chips from Qualcomm can do both GSM and CDMA and switch between the two so there is a chance, at least, that a future version of the phone could work on any U.S. provider's network and be able to roam between both types of networks.

ssteve

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006

I have been patient so far. I would really like to have an iPhone, but not if I have to be an AT&T customer. I can continue to wait. I wonder what the iPhone sales number would be after 3 months of selling a CDMA version through Verizon?

cleric

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008

So unlock it and use it on tmobile and pay $20 a month for edge.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

4.6 million is world sales.

1.6 million is AT&T activations, so US sales.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Sorry ATT. Wake the F up..... . Up the 700 minute plan to 1000 minutes and mabye we can talk .....

That made me laugh..... the language you use is really funny

It made me think of loads of executives agreeing the new deal, and saying "quick, give ateslik a call!"

ps. Im not insulting you, just pointing out your language made me think of that, and it made me laugh :)

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
So far the only issue I have with AT&T here in New England is the price I pay for the privilege to have an iPhone.

My family switched to AT&T in one fell swoop earlier this year ... Family Talk for the win ... and two of the 4 lines enrolled are attached and billed as iPhones. :eek: The sticker shock with the first bill was significant!

I think we'll terminate service on the landline phone, terminate ADT monitoring, and ... start selling our plasma to keep the budget balanced. :p

electronboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2005
(average monthly revenues per subscriber) that are approximately 1.6 times higher

Well DUH! When you make customers sign up for UNLIMITED DATA and don't include an SMS plan, then yes, they are gonna pay through the nose! :mad:

Schizoid

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
UK
Of course, you can jailbreak your phone and do whatever you want, but you'll more than likely end up with one of these...
iphone-virus.jpg.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.