MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

115823-att_motorola_nokia.png

A number of companies either connected to or competing with Apple's iPhone have reported earnings yesterday and today, helping to paint a picture of the current status of the smartphone market.

AT&T, Apple's longtime exclusive iPhone partner in the United States, reported that it had activated 4.1 million iPhones during the fourth quarter of 2010, a figure that has historically included both sales of new devices and re-activations of previously-sold devices either handed down or resold by their owners. The new activations are down from the previous quarter that saw 5.2 million activations on the carrier.

Looking at its broader wireless business, AT&T added 2.8 million wireless subscribers during the quarter to reach a record 95.5 million customers, although only 400,000 of those net additions were of the more profitable postpaid contract variety. A full 61% of the company's 68 million postpaid subscribers are now on "integrated devices" offering virtual or physical QWERTY keyboards, up from 46.8% a year ago.

AT&T also announced that it added a total of 442,000 iPad and Android-based tablets to its network during the quarter, noting that the segment marks a substantial new growth market for the carrier but declining to break out the mix between iPad and Android devices.

Overall, AT&T's earnings were down substantially from the year-ago quarter, although the difference is primarily due to one-time accounting charges for pension and restructuring obligations. But analysts have expressed concern about AT&T going forward, citing lower-than-expected performance in its landline phone business and concerns over the effect of loss of exclusivity for the iPhone.

AT&T's results come as a pair of smartphone manufacturers reported their own earnings, taking the opportunity to express concern over the iPhone's debut on Verizon next month. Motorola Mobility announced results essentially in line with analyst expectations, but offered guidance for the current quarter of a net loss of between 9 and 21 cents, below the break-even expectations of analysts. Motorola Mobility CEO Sanjay Jha noted during a conference call discussing the earnings that the carrier has already seen a slowdown in sales as customers wait for the iPhone to come available on Verizon.
"I think that we have seen some slowdown as a result of the announcement at Verizon," CEO Sanjay Jha told analysts on a conference call.
Meanwhile, Nokia posted another earnings drop and acknowledged its continuing losses in smartphone market share that has seen the company's portion of the market sink to 31% from 40% in the year-ago quarter. Looking ahead, Nokia is also guiding toward a weak first quarter of 2011 as the company seeks to develop competitive strategies under new CEO Stephen Elop to both bolster its sagging traditional mobile phone sales and face off against the iPhone and Android devices in the smartphone segment. According to Elop:
"In Q4 we delivered solid performance across all three of our businesses, and generated outstanding cash flow. Additionally, growth trends in the mobile devices market continue to be encouraging. Yet, Nokia faces some significant challenges in our competitiveness and our execution. In short, the industry changed, and now it's time for Nokia to change faster."

Article Link: AT&T Activates 4.1 Million iPhones in Q4 as Motorola and Nokia Slump

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
I haven't seen a Nokia phone in the street in about 10 years. Who is buying them?

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I haven't seen a Nokia phone in the street in about 10 years. Who is buying them?

Where do you live?

Nokia is popular everwhere in the world but North America, particularly usa. Though I see 3 or 4 Nokia models regularly in Canada.

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Hummm... interesting they wont break out Android vs iPhone sales... probably don't want to diss either or show a weakness if the iPhone or iOS devices are winning out now that they're not the only iPhone game in the US.

Comment

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Nokia is not effect by the iPhone on AT&T nor going to Verizon but that is more because Nokia is not popular at all in the US and does not make many sells here any how so the any effect from the iPhone in the US is negligible at best.

Motorola yes is going to take some hits from it but at the same time they have not release a new phone for a little while and I know people are in a holding pattern right now waiting for some of their new stuff that was recently announced but not going to be released until March.

Comment

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA

Nokia? Are they still alive? :)

Just kidding... but they have a lot to loose in the smart phone wars. They don't seem to be keeping up. Almost zero mindshare in the US. Right up there with Windoz7 phones. :)

Comment

Tailpike1153

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2004
Bellevue, WA

That's because I hide my Nokia C3-00 backup handset when I'm out in public. Funny thing is that it was a PAYG phone that I unlocked. It has an icon for the OVI store (Nokia's App Store). I try to buy stuff from the OVI store and the site says my phone is not supported. Really?!:mad: Manufacturer, if you are going to spend the time to load the fragalnarcal bs(nod to Damon Wayans) app on the phone in the first, make sure that your end consumer and use it. As soon as the parts come in, I'm fixing up the spidered glass on the iPhone 3G and the C3 is going out the door.

Comment

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
When's the last time Motorola was synonymous with quality? Really... F Motorola and their 167MHz FSB. :p

Comment

ericinboston

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2008
Meanwhile, Nokia posted another earnings drop and acknowledged its continuing losses in smartphone market share that has seen the company's portion of the market sink to 31% from 40% in the year-ago quarter. Looking ahead, Nokia is also guiding toward a weak first quarter of 2011 as the company seeks to develop competitive strategies under new CEO Stephen Elop to both bolster its sagging traditional mobile phone sales and face off against the iPhone and Android devices in the smartphone segment. According to Elop:

But not everyone needs or wants a smartphone. I know a lot of people that simply want a PHONE on a cellular network. It's not about being hip or cool, it's about practicality. My younger sister sees no value in a smartphone...texting and the occasional photo is all the features she needs besides making a call. Ditto for my mom and dad.

Until I got an iPhone 3GS I had no idea what all the fuss is/was about. Yes, I love my iPhone but let's face it, it's 10000 times more than a "phone". For actual phone features it's a lot better than cell phones in the past (like answering a 2nd call, putting people on hold, Contacts list). It's not perfect (still no Redial feature for example), but a lot better.

I'm glad the iPhone is doing well in the smartphone arena, but there are so many other cell "phones" out there for free or under $70 that are perfect for a high percentage of people.

Comment

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
Hummm... interesting they wont break out Android vs iPhone sales... probably don't want to diss either or show a weakness if the iPhone or iOS devices are winning out now that they're not the only iPhone game in the US.

They don't want their investors to know that a high majority of their growth was because of iPhone and iPad when they are losing their exclusivity.

Comment

Suspended
Dec 29, 2007

Had the same thought. I am US based, so if the Finns are buying Nokia, then good for them. Does Nokia even sell phones in the US?

And even if they are popular outside the US -- why? With Android and iPhones, what does the Nokia do for you over those? Or is it just brand loyalty or some form of gov't regulation that favors the Nokias outside the US?

edit -- read a couple other posts. So, the crux of the idea is that Nokia sells good, basic cell phones? I could see that, though I would think that approach will set them back in markets where the internet is expected, and can't be a long term growth play. Some level of smart phone is the future, in terms of growth.

Comment

icyfire

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2010
So what does this mean AT&T, now that the iPhone is available 'on the other' network?

It means that Christmas is over and once Verizon's LTE network is fully deployed, AT&T better be running for cover.

Comment

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Nokia had a good run while it lasted.

Going to miss this ringtone

I hate that ringtone. Back in 1999 I was manning a stand at a trade show. The stand beside us was a software consultancy fishing for mobile work. They played the Nokia ringtone full blast every 90 seconds.

For 10 hours a day.

For a whole ********** WEEK!

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

Where do you live?
Nokia is popular everwhere in the world but North America, particularly usa. Though I see 3 or 4 Nokia models regularly in Canada.

Not true(popular),its less and less so in My country somewhere in Europe,very hard to spot!
In many poor countries its still a status symbol although even there there are hypes starting on telephones like Blackberry and iphone.

its because of the retarded symbian
os

Exactly what I wanted to say,symbian is ok for a standard phone but not for a smartphone.
I had a few models,first one 16 years ago and it was by far the best and very good.
But those smartphones of them just su ck,the more software you put on it the less stable it gets,more or less like windows.

Comment

ArchaicRevival

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2011
Bucketheadland
It means that Christmas is over and once Verizon's LTE network is fully deployed, AT&T better be running for cover.

I don't understand why people are still saying this. AT&T is also gonna be finishing up LTE in 2011... No one is running for cover... In fact, you're gonna hear a lot of complaints from iPhone owners on the Verizon network, even if there's nothing wrong about it. Why? Cause that's human nature, and the consumer mentality.

They say the customer is always right... You know what I say? F&%* the customer. They're ignorant all pieces of poop out to get their own...

CAUTION: This wasn't directed towards anybody who is reading this post :) :cool:
:rolleyes::apple:

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.