Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I only know one person with a Nokia phone, and she hates it. It's the N97 and it constantly freezes.

Not seen anyone else with a Nokia in a long time.

ten-oak-druid

macrumors 68000
Jan 11, 2010
Hummm... interesting they wont break out Android vs iPhone sales... probably don't want to diss either or show a weakness if the iPhone or iOS devices are winning out now that they're not the only iPhone game in the US.

keep walkin

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
Your just pissed because your second.

Yes, that must be exactly it. I'm angry because you have SuperAwesomeSpeedPostingSkillz, and I'm obviously jealous. It's even funnier because you joined in September of 2010 and still have "newbie" status. I can't believe how cocky some people are.

What planet are you from? Get a life, and see the below post for a second opinion on your post.

That's so childish... what grade are you in:p

The Loaf

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2007
While I don't normally follow these things too closely, I wouldn't exactly count Nokia out... yet. Frankly, we live in a pretty rarified techno-bubble here in the developed world.

"While media coverage of the mobile industry tends to focus on the fast-growing and lucrative smartphone market, 77 percent of all cellphones sold in the third quarter were simpler models"...

"Two-thirds of the globe’s 4.6 billion mobile phone users live in emerging markets, where Nokia is the market leader"

From the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/technology/02nokia.html?scp=144&sq=nokia&st=cse

Matt-M

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2009
Nashua, NH
...For actual phone features it's a lot better than cell phones in the past (like answering a 2nd call, putting people on hold, Contacts list). It's not perfect (still no Redial feature for example), but a lot better.

iPhone has redial. Just go to the keypad and hit the Call button. It will pull up the last number dialed. Hit Call again to place the call.

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
AT&T and Cricket were the two big carriers that had Nokia devices and I think both dropped their products ages ago. I remember when everyone had a Nokia in one of 50 colors.

If you follow CNET, the still show off some Nokia handsets, but they don't often recommend them normally because of software and price. I think they use Symbian OS? They basically have become the old Windows Mobile Platform. The platform people are jumping off left and right to escape.

While I'm all about choice and variety, I wonder if they shouldn't follow their competitors and throw out some Android devices. They keep launching new services that fail (music, video, etc.) and I can't imagine how much money they waste developing these failed ventures. A lot of reviews also show their smart phones don't pay nice with others.

I haven't seen a Nokia phone in the street in about 10 years. Who is buying them?

And for this bit below, we're starting to see other vendors take aim at emerging markets. Things chance a bit with added competition. Nokia just got too confident. They've lost market share every year. This year was an especially big jump. More carrier options in emerging markets are also in the mix now too. Some places that used to have 1 carrier choice now have 2 or 3. We are kind of lucky in the USA.

"While media coverage of the mobile industry tends to focus on the fast-growing and lucrative smartphone market, 77 percent of all cellphones sold in the third quarter were simpler models"...

"Two-thirds of the globe’s 4.6 billion mobile phone users live in emerging markets, where Nokia is the market leader"

From the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/02/te...q=nokia&st=cse

adamran

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
Yes, that must be exactly it. I'm angry because you have SuperAwesomeSpeedPostingSkillz, and I'm obviously jealous. It's even funnier because you joined in September of 2010 and still have "newbie" status. I can't believe how cocky some people are.

What planet are you from? Get a life, and see the below post for a second opinion on your post.

Wow, you've gotten so angry over me being first, big deal, I got in there a bit faster, you don't need to keep banging on about it. Maybe next time you will win, I won't be crying though.

Matt-M

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2009
Nashua, NH
While I don't normally follow these things too closely, I wouldn't exactly count Nokia out... yet. Frankly, we live in a pretty rarified techno-bubble here in the developed world.

"The surest way to go broke: Keep getting an increasing share of a shrinking market."

mdesbiens

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2003
Boston & New York
hah!

Already read this story on FU*KING MotorolaRumors.com and NokiaRumors.com... Not to mention the hugely popular AttRumors.com. They had the story long before it was here on iphonedouchestalkabouttheirdoucheproduct.com

ATT had less new subscribers than last quarter, which means.... something about the iphone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nokia decided to stop competing and let LG, Motorota, Sony Ericsson, and Samsung swoop in and take bites at their martket share, which means... something about the iphone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Motorola had the quarter analysts and they themselves expected, and since they threw their own business plan in the garbage to make cheap iphone knockoffs, their CEO admits customers are waiting for the new iphone, which means... something about the iphone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys, remember that rumor that iphones sell well and people want them?

Seriously, FIX THE CONTENT. This is atrocious.

Mr. Chewbacca

macrumors 6502a
Apr 27, 2010
Dallas TX
HOLD ON!!

Almost 40% of ATT users have a phone that doesnt even have a keyboard? <<shudder>> I dont know what I would do with a phone that was actually just a .... phone

Blah

Even my 88 year old Aunt has an iPad / iPhone

zacman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
Well, Nokia lost smartphone marketshare globally (like Apple BTW) but sold more smartphones than ever before (over 30 million now, which is an increase by around 5 million). So while Apple and Nokia both lost marketshare they both sold a huge amount of smartphones. There now is just much more competition than 4 years ago. Apple and Nokia are just growing slower than the average smartphone market (for example Android is +10% year over year but they only had around 1% marketshare in Q4/2009) but they are both still growing unlike for example RIM.

SnoFlo

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2010
The Nokia E71 is great phone, but I use it in conjunction with an ipod Touch.

VonWillebrand

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's not about the number of phones sold, it's about profit. Nokia makes less and less profit every year. Compare this to Apple and notice a difference. Pretty much no profit in non-smartphones which have been Nokia's mainstay for ages. Nokia will probably crash in a few years unless they think of something innovative.

BTW, this is coming from a Finn. Loving my Iphone (my first non-Nokia phone).

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I have an old Nokia. Good quality. You can use it to pound nails.

That being said let this article reaffirm the fact that free markets and competition will ultimately keep giving consumers what they want.

Aatos.1

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
For those of you trapped behind Apple's walled garden, we've been living in a world economy for quite some time now.

Nokia carries a huge number of phones.

Just because currently they don't have a big presence in the US, doesn't mean they're going away.

Far from it.

http://is.gd/KyPP91

ehoui

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
For those of you trapped behind Apple's walled garden, we've been living in a world economy for quite some time now.

Nokia carries a huge number of phones.

Just because currently they don't have a big presence in the US, doesn't mean they're going away.

Far from it.

http://is.gd/KyPP91

So, Nokia is successful because they are behind the times, yet they still sell a bunch of cheap phones. That sounds like a great business...

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
iPhone has redial. Just go to the keypad and hit the Call button. It will pull up the last number dialed. Hit Call again to place the call.

Well I'll be....

I asked this question on this forum and the Apple forum when I first bought the phone 2 years ago...and looked for the answer a ton of times. Not life or death feature but I was amazed it was not on the phone.

A bit too late now but thanks!

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I haven't seen a Nokia phone in the street in about 10 years. Who is buying them?

Nokia has been relegated to "owning the bottom" of minimal feature phones. IMO, they have never recovered for the disaster that was the NGAGE phone. They tried to be a "Nintendo of cell phones" and the concept flopped.

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

I bought one. The battery in my 1st-gen iPhone is starting to go, so I was all ready to pick up an iPhone 4, but I looked around a bit, and discovered the n900. I'm kinda surprised this phone even exists (and even Nokia doesn't seem to want to market it); it's basically just a cell phone running the Linux operating system. Not a pretty GUI with Linux locked away somewhere beneath it, like Android -- just an actual, straight-up honest-to-god Linux distribution.

I'm now editing files with Vim, logging in to my other machines with SSH, running basically all the usual Unix utilities straight up on a machine I can hold in my hand. Kind of amazing.

Why should I stick with a handheld iOS device, when I can get the equivalent of a handheld OS X device instead? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.