AT&T activation for 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sith Vol, Oct 11, 2011.

1. Sith Vol macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Sorry if this question has been asked/answered. Tried to search and couldn't find anything.

So, I'm a first time preorderer for the iPhone. I bought my 3GS in the store so AT&T did the activation for me. Will I need to go to AT&T as soon as my phone arrives or can I just turn it on and it'll automatically change my # to the new phone? I also have unlimited data (grandfathered in) and selected it on Apple's site when I preordered (if this matters).

I'm guessing iOS 5 allows activation thru the phone without having to go to the carrier store or calling them, but I just wanted to make sure. And if I selected 'unlimited data' on Apple's site it should keep everything the same, yes?

Thanks!

(Sorry if already posted)

2. Sith Vol thread starter macrumors 6502

3. alvarez16 macrumors member

All you need to do is turn on the phone and it will be activated.

Thanks

4. Sith Vol thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

So am I going to have to pay $18 upgrade fee and $36 activation or is it $36 total? Would the activation fee be waived if I just went into AT&T when I got the phone? Not a trouble for me to do that either. Just curious.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

The $18 upgrade fee is all that you will be paying (of course, in addition to the price of the phone). The $36 activation fee is for new customers. Btw, if you get a nice AT&T rep, you can ask if they could waive that fee for you. Not saying that they will, but I know that they've done it for me in the past.

And yeah, your phone will come activated. You don't have to do anything. As long as you picked unlimited data, then yep, everything will be the same.

6. dave006 macrumors 68020

No you do not have to go to the AT&T Store. Activation will be completed on the iPhone 4S or so Apple claimes for iOS 5. If that does not work, you will follow the simple activation instructions since you ordered from Apple.

Worst case is the activation servers are slammed so you might have to call AT&T.

On your Unlimited data plan question: Check your Apple Order by clicking on the link provided in your Apple Order Acknowledgment emial and then click on the Rate Plan link and verify that you have selected the $30 iPhone Unlimited Data plan. You should be all set.

Dave

7. Sith Vol thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys.

We've been AT&T for a long time so that $36 fee doesn't apply to me? It's just the $18 upgrade fee (which I've been familiar with). Just wasn't sure about the $36.

8. Sith Vol thread starter macrumors 6502

And yes, I selected the $30 unlimited plan and it shows on the "rate plans" under my order. Guess I'm good to go. I'm on a family plan, so nothing else should change right? Voice, text stuff? It said "no change" for those plans on my order.

9. Codepiink macrumors regular

You only pay an activation fee if you are activating a new line of service, which you are not. You are just upgrading your phone and then activating it with your existing number.

10. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

Nothing will change at all. Just start using your phone and enjoy :D