AT&T Addressing Network Performance in Manhattan and San Francisco, High-Bandwidth Users

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports that AT&T Mobility CEO Ralph de la Vega noted at an investor conference today that the company is continuing to work to address network issues in Manhattan and San Francisco, areas with high densities of iPhone and other smartphone users who have been experiencing subpar performance.
Those two cities see especially high smart-phone penetration, which has put pressure on AT&T's data network. The company expects to see gradual improvements in New York and plans to replace some microcells in San Francisco, he said.

"This is going to get fixed," Mr. de la Vega said. "In both of those markets, I am very confident that you're going to see significant progress."
Despite recent improvements centered around deployment of the 850 MHz spectrum in many of AT&T's markets, complaints have continued to surface, with Apple support staff even apparently acknowledging that a dropped call rate of 30% was considered normal in New York City.

De la Vega also addressed the ongoing issue of high-bandwidth smartphone customers, noting frequently-cited data showing that 3% of smartphone users are responsible for 40% of data traffic. In response to this issue, de la Vega reiterated AT&T's general plan to "incentivize" customers to reduce their data usage.
With about 3% of smart-phone customers driving 40% of data traffic, AT&T is considering incentives to keep those subscribers from hampering the experience for everyone else, he said. "You can rest assured that we're very sure we can address it in a way that's consistent with net-neutrality and FCC regulations."
While specific plans have yet to be rolled out, de la Vega suggested that simply offering users greater insight into their bandwidth usage has been shown to reduce their demand. Over the longer term, however, AT&T is likely to shift to usage-based pricing, although any such changes would be based on industry standards and competition and on regulatory guidelines.

Article Link: AT&T Addressing Network Performance in Manhattan and San Francisco, High-Bandwidth Users

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
And my slightly rural area, shown as covered on AT&T's map, with no actual coverage of any sort. Relatively few towers and lots of population.

Is it even possible to make the traditional cell tower system ever work? Isn't there some other better technology out there?

iFirmware

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2009
In sumer when i was is downtown SF, i was getting full bars on my phone... But my sister's blackberry was getting awful signal, hopefuly this wil work

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
With about 3% of smart-phone customers driving 40% of data traffic, AT&T is considering incentives to keep those subscribers from hampering the experience for everyone else, he said.
By hampering the experience for the few who are able to take advantage of the service they're paying dearly for?

de la Vega suggested that simply offering users greater insight into their bandwidth usage has been shown to reduce their demand.
Demand should not be stifled by personal bandwidth usage figures. Demand depends on capabilities and personal usage of a device.

The solution should obviously be IMPROVE BANDWIDTH, not DEGENERATE USAGE.

seedster2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
NYC
Now will all the apologists who claim AT&T's lack of coverage and bandwidth is blown out of proportion just stay quiet? "I travel all over the U.S. and never had a dropped a call" Must not go to either Cali or NY

The CEO is admitting that it sucks here in a major market. What's more, they don't even foresee fixing it completely. They'd rather incentivize rationing your usage.

flybynite

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2002
Funny to see this article about bandwidth constraints posted immediately after the article about the just-launched video-streaming app. Ouch.

Maleficent

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2009
Edinburgh
In sumer when i was is downtown SF, i was getting full bars on my phone... But my sister's blackberry was getting awful signal, hopefuly this wil work
I got full bars too...I did get a dropped call or two though if I remember. Can't say for data though as I never had the optional package.

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
So they are going to upgrade their network and STILL charge usage fees for data?!?!

Explain to me how "greater insight" into how much I download will reduce how much I download? I PAID FOR UNLIMITED DATA!!!

AT&T fix your network and stop trying to screw your customers.

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Not sure if the article is making reference to 3G or 3GS specific users, but my 3GS has never experienced problems in SF or the SF Bay Area. There are two noteworthy problem areas, but both are dips in the terrain and a signal is near impossible to receive. No dropped calls while in SF; but have had a few problems with the Maps placing my location about 10 blocks from where I was actually located. Standing at California & Powell, but Maps said I was next to Pier 41. Beyond these situations, NO subpar performances in SF...:cool:

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
I would love to see the data usage spike for the cell towers that service the Moscone center during WWDC or Macworld.

sigalert

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2009
Over the longer term, however, AT&T is likely to shift to usage-based pricing, although any such changes would be based on industry standards and competition and on regulatory guidelines.
I don't like the sound of that.

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
Their solution to the problem is to try and convince people not to use the service as much?!?!?! These ***** c---monkeys. I can't wait until this exclusivity ends because there will literally be hundreds of thousands, if not millions of users defecting from this piss-poor service. I cannot wait for these morons in charge get booted out by the board when they turn into Sprint.

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Read the Entire Story....

......this was the entire presentation at UBS this AM.

AT&T must be doing something right:

#1 in Gross Subscriber Additions
#1 in Total Subscriber Additions
#1 in Postpaid Subscriber Additions
#1 in Smartphones
#1 in Total Wireless Revenue Growth
#1 in Wireless Data New Growth
#1 in Total Churn
#1 in YOY Churn Improvement
#1 in Postpaid ARPU
#1 in Postpaid ARPU Growth

So, despite the bandwidth problems they are having in NY and SF, there must be plenty of other customers who are happy.

AT&T also stated in this presentation that 7.2Mb in 25 of the largest 30 markets will be deployed by 2Q10. This will be roughly 5 times faster than Verizon's CDMA. The iPhone 3GS will be able to exploit this right away.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
THe Maps Don't Lie!

As an ex- Verizon subscriber - switching to ATT in hopes of someday owning an iPhone.... the maps don't lie....a switch I regret

While yes I know 3G and EDO coverage are still coverage, my ATT drop rate is ridiculous. I had Verizon for 4 years and thought Cell Companies got it down with service...but my last 2 years have been tiring. When my second line contract is up I'm going back to Verizon...

Maybe in 2 years I'll come back for iPhone 5G.... it is a sad day when I avoid an Apple product due to their choice in service providers... even sadder when it is MY service provider....

I'm 100% today, 3 drops calls out of 3 calls. Yeh!!

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
Love to hear Los Angeles in this ATT fix their crappy system campaign.

sorry to say... but more and more... it looks like i need to switch to verizon. ATT has even delayed their Microcell. the home/office Femtocell which ... makes a tiny cell site for you with your broadband connection.

ATT is even more tightassed than their competition... their Microcell has a built in GPS, so you can't use it outside of the US.

not that i was planning on doing so. but looks like their bean counters and suits are being as anti-consumer as they can be.

it's like the suits of ATT Wireless are drilled in a mantra of ... spend as little on infrastructure as possible... Earn as much as they can.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009
Now will all the apologists who claim AT&T's lack of coverage and bandwidth is blown out of proportion just stay quiet? "I travel all over the U.S. and never had a dropped a call" Must not go to either Cali or NY
I was in Cali traveling between Anaheim/Riverside/Ontario/Irvine for a month and didn't have any problems. I'm sure there's plenty of problems with coverage but overblowing the argument either way really doesn't serve a purpose.

idea_hamster

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2003
NYC, or thereabouts
30% drop rate is normal? HA! AT&T fails again.
You have to remember, the dropped call rate isn't really 30%.

It's 100%.

But about 70% of calls are short, so the user hangs up before AT&T gets around to dropping the call.

In NYC (and much of western LI), if you just have a conversation for more than 15 minutes, you'll eventually get dropped.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
Statistical Equations and mirrors

Find a new statistic guru and a new marketing team I bet any company can have a list of #1's that long.

Look at Dish and Cable - I see commercials all day long where they both have more channels and better quality than the other (who told me so not 60 seconds before)... as an engineer, I know a math total is a math total and someone is wrong... but that does not stop marketing to the uneducated masses.

Apple lover for life... ATT hater... at least for now....

......this was the entire presentation at UBS this AM.

http://cc.talkpoint.com/ubsx001/120709a_ke/?entity=13_EIR2EIY

AT&T must be doing something right:

#1 in Gross Subscriber Additions
#1 in Total Subscriber Additions
#1 in Postpaid Subscriber Additions
#1 in Smartphones
#1 in Total Wireless Revenue Growth
#1 in Wireless Data New Growth
#1 in Total Churn
#1 in YOY Churn Improvement
#1 in Postpaid ARPU
#1 in Postpaid ARPU Growth

So, despite the bandwidth problems they are having in NY and SF, there must be plenty of other customers who are happy.

AT&T also stated in this presentation that 7.2Mb in 25 of the largest 30 markets will be deployed by 2Q10. This will be roughly 5 times faster than Verizon's CDMA. The iPhone 3GS will be able to exploit this right away.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
I can't say that I agree. I *live* in Cali, and have not had a dropped call.

Not sure if the article is making reference to 3G or 3GS specific users, but my 3GS has never experienced problems in SF or the SF Bay Area. There are two noteworthy problem areas, but both are dips in the terrain and a signal is near impossible to receive. No dropped calls while in SF; but have had a few problems with the Maps placing my location about 10 blocks from where I was actually located. Standing at California & Powell, but Maps said I was next to Pier 41. Beyond these situations, NO subpar performances in SF...:cool:
I make trips frequently into the Bay area (about once every 2 weeks) through the I-80 corridor, and from Sacramento (where I live) all the way through to Redwood City, I have no loss of coverage or service. So whatever those complaining about pisspoor service, I'm not getting it or seeing it.

16GB iPhone 3G, 3.0.1 through 3.1.2.

BL.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
They have been saying this for years now!

And they haven't fixed it, how is this time supposed to be different?

tri3limited

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2008
London
On upper Regent Street, London, UK I must be well, well above 75% dropped calls. I'm virtually uncontactable (if that's a word!)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.