AT&T allowing tethering on 3g iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by havenhamilton, Jul 5, 2008.

1. havenhamilton macrumors 6502

I was under the impression you weren't able to do this on the 1st gen iphone so I assumed it would be the same with 3g. Here's a video of AT&T Chairman and CEO Randall Stephenson showed off a white 3G iPhone at NXTcomm 08 in Las Vegas where he says you can tether it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXr0o3tR21E

2. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I can't tell if he was saying tether as a single feature, or of if he simply meant connecting it to a computer to transfer your multimedia content that he describes after it.

3. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I could see AT&T selling you an optional service for this. However, they aren't going to give it away for free. My EVDO card costs like $65 a month alone.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

They've been consistently using that term to discuss hooking it up to iTunes to transfer multimedia and to "unbrick" it at the store. Nothing new here.

5. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

wont be available w/o a 3rd party app and probably unlocking it

6. havenhamilton thread starter macrumors 6502

thats what i was thinking but one can only hope.

7. elbirth macrumors 65816

yeah, he means "tether" as in hooking it up to your computer in general to transfer stuff to it. Listen to how he's speaking at that part- he's talking about putting all of your "cassettes" on your iPhone and is describing the method to do so- "you'll tether your iPhone, insert your cassette, [put your music, movies, etc on it]"

He's solely talking about the Sony Walkman and having music/media on there, that's it. If he meant tethering as far as using it as a modem, he'd spell that out a bit more clearly.

8. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Technically, he's not incorrect because tether just means to attach normally with a wire.

But the rest of the industry uses the term "tethering" to mean internet connection sharing.

Is this a marketing word to mislead you by ambiguity so you will buy it and find out later? :confused:

9. RocketJohn macrumors newbie

shameful you can't tether... spending $50/mo. for all unlimited data and sms, should get you unlimited data without qualifications...

Shame on AT&T