AT&T and Apple - Contract Extended

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CaucasionInvasn, May 6, 2010.

1. CaucasionInvasn macrumors member

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Dude, the analyst whose speculation forms the basis of this article admits he just pulled this out of his ass. He has absolutely no basis for this claim.

3. msavwah macrumors 6502

Not a fact
    Speculation admitted by the analyst who said it.

4. Espionage32 macrumors regular

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

7. Penguissimo macrumors 6502a

Penguissimo

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=9851649

So how can I get a job as an "analyst"? Seems like most of these guys have a way more secure living than other fiction writers.

Although I don't think "Harry Potter and the Mysterious Business Model" would have flown off the shelves.

8. Tankfantry macrumors regular

Tankfantry

I still have until June 2011 until my AT&T contract is finished so wake me up in a year and it might be relevant.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

While it is speculation, I wouldn't be totally surprised. AT&T needs apple more then apple needs AT&T. That was evident in the deep discounts AT&T offered for the iPad data contract.

I'm sure the harsh marketing approach verizon took recently probably pissed off apple enough to also consider extending the contract. If one thing is true about apple its that they can show a vindictive side.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

What deep discounts? Isn't an unlimited plan $30 everywhere? :confused:

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The article at gizmodo mentions this quote

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Oh I see. But I still don't get it. iPhone Unlimited data is $30, most data plans are around that ... I don't see the discount. I see this as being like Amazon when they sell a Blu-ray DVD for 40% off, it's really $24.99 but that is because the suggested retail is $39. No one ever priced that DVD at $39, but because it is suggested retail amazon saying it's 40% is not misleading anyone, technically.

You get my drift?
    In other words, I don't buy that AT&T cut their data plan 50% for the iPad. I believe it was $30 all along.

13. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I think that the point is that AT&T's netbooks and laptop connect plans are $45, and since the iPad is basically a netbook without a keyboard...

Still, the totally speculative nature of this claim does not justify its specificity, which I can only suppose was meant to give it an air of authority. It sounds much more authoritative to say "AT&T received a six month extension to their exclusivity agreement" than to say "I would speculate that AT&T must have sought some concession from Apple -- perhaps an extension of their exclusivity agreement -- in exchange for discounting iPad data plans."

14. flash144 macrumors member

Everytime I read something similar to this, I can't help but laugh.

Verizon doesn't mention the Iphone in their ads. They go after ATT's 3g coverage. BUT, people can't get over its about the Iphone. (the only ad that mentions the Iphone, calls it a "great phone" but with bad coverage. Island of Misfit toys)

When ATT ads about "covers 97% of Americans", they don't mention 3g.

Marketing students should be taking notes.

15. geko29 macrumors 6502

Actually, they're $60, which is also the total data plan cost if you add tethering to a smartphone's existing unlimted data plan ($30 UL data + $30 tethering). The $45 you're probably thinking of is the Enterprise data plans, which you're *supposed* to buy if you're using Exchange ActiveSync and you have to buy if you want BES support.

So the iPad plan definitely qualifies as a 50% discount, if it's being compared to what would be required to get the same access on a laptop or netbook.

16. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Most "unlimited" data-only deals are $60. I've been paying Verizon $60 with a contract to use the modem in my netbook, T-Mobile also has a $60 plan, last time I checked. AT&T is the only outfit I know that's offering something lower.

17. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Apple is going to purchase AT&T......can I be an analyst too?

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If you're good at pulling stuff out of your a$$, then yes.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I'd say most definately yes then. :p