Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today officially announced that it will offer all Wi-Fi + 4G models of the new iPad through its sales channels beginning this Friday, March 16, in line with Apple's official launch. The announcement is of course no surprise given past history and an information page that has been available on the carrier's site since soon after the device's introduction, but the carrier has now made official its plans to make the device available through all sales channels including online and in-store.
AT&T today announced it will offer the new iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G in the United States on Friday, March 16. AT&T will offer all models of iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G with a range of attractive data plans that will allow customers to connect to the AT&T 4G LTE network with speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G. [...]

Customers can buy the new iPad through all AT&T sales channels beginning Friday, March 16. For complete details on pricing and availability please visit www.att.com/ipad.
The carrier offers three monthly data plans for the iPad, a 250 MB plan for $14.99, a 3 GB plan for $30, and a $5 GB plan for $50. All plans are commitment-free and include access to over 29,000 AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots around the United States.

att_ipad_3.jpg

AT&T has not yet made any announcements on whether it plans to support the personal hotspot functionality of the new iPad, but as things currently stand the feature is not included in AT&T's data plans. Verizon, which will presumably be announcing similar launch plans for Friday, will be offering personal hotspot connectivity as part of its data plans at no additional charge.

Electronics retailer RadioShack has also announced plans to launch the new iPad on Friday, taking pre-order deposits in the form of $50 gift cards that can be applied to the device purchase.

Update: Verizon has also published its press release announcing availability of all Wi-Fi + 4G models beginning on Friday. The carrier is also touting its support for the new iPad's personal hotspot functionality.
Verizon Wireless today announced it will offer the new iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G nationwide on Friday, March 16. Verizon Wireless will offer all models of iPad with Wi-Fi + 4G with a range of attractive data plans that will allow customers to connect to the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network with speeds up to 10 times faster than previously available on 3G. Additionally, Verizon Wireless is supporting the Personal Hotspot feature of the new iPad so users can share their fast network connection with up to 5 other devices using Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or USB.

Article Link: AT&T Announces Plans to Offer iPad Wi-Fi + 4G Beginning on March 16 [Updated: Verizon]

Last edited:

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Thanks, but I'll just keep tethering a wifi version to my iPhone.

Just give me a way to pool GB's like minutes and I'll add devices to my Family Plan.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Considering Verizon doesn't give you a low end option. It's good for people who don't use much data or are on wifi all the time.

Verizon is offering 1GB (with tethering) for $20. Not that I would use tethering for that amount of data. But 1GB is at least a fair bit more than the near-worthless 250MB.

Fenir

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
Considering Verizon doesn't give you a low end option. It's good for people who don't use much data or are on wifi all the time.

I thought that's why there was a wi-fi only version?

With LTE speeds you could (theoretically) burn through 250mb in what...four seconds?

©©©©©

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2012
I'm an AT&T fan but I chose Verizon for my new ipad:D
It's the only carrier that offers 4G in my state and the free personal hotspot is a plus too.

I use AT&T on 4S and it is very fast though.

hetrigger

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Texas
Why offer 250 mb! I would say the heck with that and spend the extra money for 32 gig iPad and be happy with it!:D

Markiie

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2011
Los Angeles, California.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9B179)

How is this even news? Great your providing a service you already stated you were gonna offer? It's like McDonalds saying "hey we are going to sell burgers Friday"

litfuel

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
i would rather wait in line at apple than buy from sh##bag att or verizon since if you want to return it they have 10 or 15% restocking fees.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
For me, a 250MB plan would be fine as I am on wifi most of the time, and I would probably use the cellular data even less than my iPhone which is always in my pocket (the iPad I wouldn't have with me all the time like I do the iPhone). I've rarely used more than 250MB cellular data on my iPhone and I'm grandfathered into unlimited data which is going to waste.

That said, Verizon's $20 for 1GB plan is a much better deal vs AT&T's 250MB plan, both because for $5 more you get 4 times as much bandwidth and you have the option to tether. It's pretty much a no-brainer unless you really want a GSM device (e.g. for travel).

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007

arctier

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2010
Why offer 250 mb! I would say the heck with that and spend the extra money for 32 gig iPad and be happy with it!:D

Some people may be able to justify it as useful since it still unlocks unlimited access to AT&T's wifi networks. No harm having the option.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
$15 for 250 MB IS a bargin if that's all you're going to use. Why pay $30 for several GB if you are not going to use it.

You folks need to realize, because you are the type of person who reads this site, you're also the user who probably uses more data.

I'd be surprised, if on the go on an iPad, someone like my mother would use more than 100 MB (probably not more than 50 MB!), unless I sent her a bunch of pictures.

I use my iPhone like cRaZy and every so often I get a month where I only use 300-400 MB (generally I am in the 2-3 GB range occasionally hitting 5 GB).

But it's rarely video and I use Onavo for compression (actually, I use it for the speed).

Gary

FYI - install Onavo to shrink your data FYI. I think it makes my surfing go faster since it compresses everything.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
"All plans are commitment-free and include access to over 29,000 AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots around the United States."

About those Wi-Fi hotspots. I am getting an iPad on Verizon, but I have an AT&T iPhone 4S. Could I use my AT&T login for wifi on the iPad? Or is there a chance of getting busted? Just curious.

pavvento

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2007
I thought that's why there was a wi-fi only version?

With LTE speeds you could (theoretically) burn through 250mb in what...four seconds?

I don't understand this reasoning (although I agree 250mb is nothing). If someone's usage when not on WiFi is to check email and 250mb is enough it doesn't change because your connection is faster. 250mb is the same on EDGE, 3G or 4G; it is people's usage (which is controlled by that person) that might change.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Hmm your source does show that 1GB for $20 is only for existing customers. However, if I go to apple.com/store and select the new iPad, I scroll down and see the 1GB for $20 plan at Verizon, with no mention of existing customers only. A lot of people are going to be mad if it really is new customers only.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_ipad/family/ipad/select_ipad

NoExpectations

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Some people may be able to justify it as useful since it still unlocks unlimited access to AT&T's wifi networks. No harm having the option.

Exactly....why are people complaining about options? Choose one that meets your needs.

250MB allows many of us low-bandwidth users access to email/web as we travel between free wifi spots.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.