Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AT&T today announced its plans for rolling out 7.2 Mbps 3G data service on its network. Deployment will begin in Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles and Miami, with service in those cities beginning by the end of the year. Service will be extended over the following two years to cover approximately 90% of the current U.S. 3G network area.
AT&T plans to begin deployment of HSPA 7.2 in six major U.S. cities, including Charlotte, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles and Miami, with initial service availability expected in these markets by the end of the year. All told, the company plans to deploy HSPA 7.2 in 25 of the nation's 30 largest markets by the end of 2010, and to reach about 90 percent of its existing 3G network footprint with HSPA 7.2 by the end of 2011.
AT&T announced in late May that it would be deploying the technology, which doubles the theoretical speed of its existing 3G network as an interim step toward LTE (4G) offerings scheduled to begin rolling out in 2011.

Apple's iPhone 3GS, released in June, does support the faster 7.2 Mbps download speed being deployed, although it is apparently unable to support the faster upload speeds associated with the new standard.

Article Link: AT&T Announces Rollout Plans for 7.2 Mbps 3G Service

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
Hopefully by the time time ATT's 4G tech roles out the iPhone with be on VZW

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
Thanks for nothing, AT&T. Rogers of Canada still has a better wireless service than you clunkers. I never reach the theoretical max speed for my iPhone 3G here in Austin, and now you expect me to believe that your 7.2mbps rollout will be any different? Bah.

Signed,

Waiting for the LTE iPhone

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
This seems like good progress, but somehow talking about a technology roll-out that will complete for 2011 when it's technology that we'd like to be utilizing currently, and that the current iPhone supports, seems a bit too late. There will presumably be two more generations of iPhones by then. Will AT&T ever be at the point of having a network that supports the iPhone when it's released instead of months (MMS & tethering) or years (7.2 Mbps 3G) later?

mikejfrd

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
I live in Charlotte, so this is good news for me!!!

Yeah hopefully it will be on Verizon by then so I can laugh at all of the "I hate Verizon" threads!!! Hopefully the ADMIN will give you Verizon fanboys your own forum to keep the ATT sucks and the I hate Verizon threads separate. :D;)

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008
someone want to explain to me as to why AT&T failed once again? Failed to implement MMS in a timely manor and now they failed to allow their biggest phone seller to take full advantage of the fastest speed.

I cant imagine apple being to happy with AT&T? Verizon seriously would have a chance with the iPhone if they showed they could support MMS for a lot of iPhone users and roll out the latest speed update for its network in a timely manor.

stagi

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2006
Weak, San Jose should have been first. Cupertino should have strong armed them :)

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
I bet the upload speed issue can be addressed with a firmware update, I'd almost bet on it. They need to limit it right now, like with MMS, until the upgrade is done.

mikecap

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2008
AT&T Does Not <3 New York

And NYC, undoubtedly their biggest market with severe connection problems, gets the shaft. WHEN DOES EXCLUSIVITY END?

mikejfrd

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
This seems like good progress, but somehow talking about a technology roll-out that will complete for 2011 when it's technology that we'd like to be utilizing currently, and that the current iPhone supports, seems a bit too late. There will presumably be two more generations of iPhones by then. Will AT&T ever be at the point of having a network that supports the iPhone when it's released instead of months (MMS & tethering) or years (7.2 Mbps 3G) later?

....and Verizon currently does???? I don't think so!! It's much easier to advance a phones capabilities than it is an entire networks!

axual

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
Trust but verify

ATT should not be trusted with their announcements based on history. I've yet to see 3G in my area of 60,000 people even though for the last 2 years, ATT Customer Support and Sales have repeatedly told me it will be available in just 6 more months, or by spring, or by end uf summer (last year).

Hopefully they will stop acquiring other companies and focus on their existing customers.

I am paying $30 for nothing on my new iPhone plan. ATT ... ARE YOU LISTENING?

iMJustAGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2007
Beach, FL
I live in Pensacola FL and my 3g on the 3gs is super fast. Basically seems like wifi speed at most places around here. And I downloaded this continuous mix from iTunes the oter day and it took about 4 minutes I think the file was 110mb...? That is crazy. My new laptop would not even have downloaded it that fast. I am very happy with 3g around here. I wish I could get reception in the hospital though. Good thing we have wifi!

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
Well I wish they were doing it in Raleigh this year, but I visit Charlotte every now and then so it will be nice to see the speed difference.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
ATT should not be trusted with their announcements based on history. I've yet to see 3G in my area of 60,000 people even though for the last 2 years, ATT Customer Support and Sales have repeatedly told me it will be available in just 6 more months, or by spring, or by end uf summer (last year).

Hopefully they will stop acquiring other companies and focus on their existing customers.

I am paying $30 for nothing on my new iPhone plan. ATT ... ARE YOU LISTENING?

That's free money for them. All they have to do is upgrade, belatedly, a few urban centers and promise that in only a few year's time some of the rest of us will get the service that by then will be obsolete. Not a bad way to make a living.

Are cell towers simply not the answer?

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
....and Verizon currently does???? I don't think so!! It's much easier to advance a phones capabilities than it is an entire networks!

Perhaps not, but Verizon is working on deploying 60 Mbps LTE this year, and plans comparable coverage for 2010 for LTE to what AT&T plans for 7.2 Mbps. It just seems like AT&T is still playing catch up at the moment.

EDIT: And I'm not a particularly unhappy AT&T customer, by the way, nor am I a particularly big fan of Verizon. I'm just lamenting the lag in US carrier deployment of technology, and it seems like AT&T is having a particularly hard time keeping up at the moment, though I do think they are making valiant efforts to improve.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.