AT&T anounces impoved NYC netowrk coverage.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jav6454, Jun 28, 2010.

1. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Details here:

Now, can anyone confirm assestments?

2. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

I live in the Bronx and work at Yankee Stadium. With a six-game home series set to begin tomorrow, I'll report my findings during ballgames.

I arrived in the Bronx in April, so I really can't compare to last year, but will do my best to see how it operates over here during a game. Typically I've had to switch to EDGE in order to send texts out and get any sort of data downloaded. Although now that I think about it, I forgot to switch back to EDGE during the last homestand and texts were going through. Hmmmm...possible improvement I suppose but I'll check more this week and report back.

As for everywhere else, I seem to get a clear connection and the up and down speeds are really nice. I haven't experienced the reception issues people have been speaking of, so maybe I'm a lucky one.

Regardless, I'm fine so far. Breathe Ian, breathe.

Ian

3. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

So far, many people are reporting significant improvements in call quality aswell as even faster speeds.

4. paulyras macrumors 6502

Sold your soul, eh? Sorry. Sox fan...

5. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

I live in NYC (queens), and as you can see its been a while since I tested, but since I got the iphone 4 I have had SICK speeds, specifically upload.

[​IMG]

Not sure if its the network or the phone, but these upload speeds are so high I am really thinking that FaceTime will be used over 3G in the very near future, perhaps in 4.1

6. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

Those are fast speeds.

7. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Not a NYC resident, but I was there for a week in early June and I dropped almost every single call that lasted more than a few minutes. This happened in several areas of Manhattan with my iPhone 3G.

So either their improvements were completed very recently or AT&T still has a lot of work to do in NYC.

8. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I've noticed a significant improvement in at&t's coverage in NYC over the past few months. I haven't dropped a call in the city over the last two weeks (that's saying a lot!).

9. mets1125 macrumors regular

For the past 2 years we have been hearing they are improving their network, yet the dead zones are the same on the Grand Central Parkway, Cross Island Parkway, BQE, Belt, and Van wick, and a spot a few blocks from my house. I would like to know about the stadiums because at Citifield service is non existant as every one is hogging up the network. Been to NYS once and it was the same there. I will believe it when service is really improved not dropping calls on major highways all the time. :(

10. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

A game would not be the best situation to test the network, those are always extreme situations were it's common for networks, even great networks, to get congested from too many people in one space using them at once.

11. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

This is great news. I have mentioned this before but I am getting service in areas already where I NEVER got good AT&T coverage. My office especially.

12. Pjstock42 macrumors regular

my data service over the weekend in queens was really spotty, but is super fast today. now it makes sense though, im guessing the network was undergoing updates over the weekend.

13. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

Just switched from Verizon to AT&T and the service is horrendous. I live in Long Island, work in Manhattan and I experience constant dropped calls. Today in my office, I dropped a 2 min call and I have good reception here.

14. jav6454 thread starter macrumors P6

jav6454

We are not discussing this right now, we are discussing if those affected previosuly have noticed any difference between then and now.

15. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Well for what it's worth, the other day at Yankee Stadium I left 3G on instead of dropping down to EDGE like I usually do and I was able to get texts sent out. I've always been able to receive them but sending was another issue.

I had one text not go through, but the rest went through fine, and that was with 46,000 asses in the seats. I know it's not a great test, but it's progress at least on that front.