AT&T, anyone get reduced iphone cost by calling up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dsr1205, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

I'm not eligible for an iphone upgrade for another 6 months, i have 5 iphones on a family plan. If i called AT&T, which i plan on doing on monday, do you think if i complain enough they will cut me a deal because i provide so much business for them? Anyone have any luck calling AT&T and getting any iPhone deals?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol no

so much buisness? 5 phones? seriously? every family plan is similar to that scenario....
    enough to justify a upgrade 6mths early? lol that would be a negatory. they have those policies for a reason

you see, corporations get FAN discounts because they provide alot of buisness for ATT, not individual familes

3. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

4. 184550 Guest

Only if AT&T pats you on the head and tells you that you're special.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

start a twitter petition

get allot of people to sign it whine and complain allot. that you want the new toy and you think you deserve it! that should do it! :rolleyes:

6. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

Wow, complain about what? That life is a bitch and then you die? If you're not eligible then you're not eligible. Pay what you're entitled and stop looking for a handout.

7. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not quite. Family plans are that, Family plans. They are supposed to be big. So no slack for you. However, if you were a corporation accounting for thousands of dollars a month, I can see that happening, otherwise, no.

8. vm7118 macrumors regular

i have four iphones on a family plan. 3 were bought release day for the 3G (7/11/08), and only one was early upgrade eligible at full subsidized pricing (7/12/09). when ATT revised their rules, that same line (main line) was eligible for upgrade as soon as 3GS was released. so i got one.

tried to upgrade one more line the same day, even called ATT from the apple store, but no go.

the other lines can't be upgraded at full subsidy ($399/$499) until december.

we pay them about $280/month, $250 plus services, including a FAN discount.

9. Dsr1205 thread starter macrumors 6502

well, i only consider myself a bigger customer than like a single person with a iphone, im no mr corporation. And i was in the apple store today about to buy a 3GS for 500 bucks right on the spot, the only thing that stopped me was the apple employee telling me to wait and call AT&T to see if i can get a better deal, thought id comment on the forums, see how far anyone else has got.

10. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

Can't hurt to try and I want to see what happens! Let us know.

11. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

You can try, doesn't hurt to ask. Though it seems like based on the responses, people here have a feeling that it's a no, but give it a shot! ;)

12. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Don't bother calling AT&T's customer service line...they don't have the ability to override and get you $200 knocked (that's the most you'll get) off down to the early upgrade price. I called them up to complain about not getting the early upgrade price (I'm still 6 months away from upgrade eligibility so I was told I could only buy at the highest price, the no contract option). I yelled at the sales guy on the phone for a half hour before he put me on hold supposedly to wait for a supervisor (who he said also didn't have the ability to apply the override). In the meantime he called up my local AT&T corporate store and they said there was no problem getting me the early upgrade pricing. Placed my order on Friday at early upgrade pricing ($499 for the 32GB Black).

So go down to your nearest AT&T Corporate store (not an "Authorized Retailer") and ask them for early upgrade pricing. That's the best pricing you'll get until your upgrade eligibility date. The Store Managers have the ability to apply the override (the regular sales reps at the stores do not)...but the customer service reps and their supervisors on the phone do not. At least...that's the story from the phone sales rep I talked to and the people in the store kind of confirmed it.

13. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

You can always ask...

But maybe youd be better off teaching your "family" that you/they should not try to 'get something' by claiming youre not responsible for the contract you signed & therefore you want special treatment 'just cuz!'

Just a thought... :rolleyes:

14. NateDMB macrumors regular

NateDMB

Sorry, but I doubt it. i have a FAN account and a family plan. They wouldn't budge. I did however upgrade my mother in-law's line to the 3GS, then I used it and dropped the data plan off her line. You could try that.

15. iPhoneFreak17 macrumors member

iPhoneFreak17

trust me they will not do it for u,my friend is eligible for an upgrade in august and me and him prolly went to 7 different AT&T stores and they all said NO we cant do the upgrade for you now,and one guy that worked at the ATT store was a close friend of mine and he still couldnt hook my friend up...they just cant do it especially if u want the iphone,if u want another phone they prolly can help u out but NOT the iphone.

16. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

gimme gimme gimme

Sound like a spoiled child, you have the 3G (juging from you signiture) your telling me waiting 6 months is gonna hur that much? since AT&T has the phone you want what will you use for leverage, threaten to cancel early pay 175 per line and go to sprint. this is really sad :mad:. I waited 2 years to upgrade I didn't soil myse;f when the 3g came out I waited patiently for the next year and did I complain no try it for a change see how that works out.

17. Mac N Tosh macrumors regular

You could always stomp your feet and hold your breath, then pay the early termination fee...;)

18. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

It must be different on AT&T. Because on Verizon I can squeeze early upgrades out of them, secondary line incentives, and sometimes a bill reduction. But I'm switching to the iPhone this month.

19. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Do you know how many people out there have family plans with 5 lines? Sorry, you're not a bigger customer than most.

20. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

bear in mind

once you switch kiss those freedoms good buy

21. DVNIEL macrumors 6502a

DVNIEL

You're one of the reasons why people hate waking up to their jobs in the morning. You seriously yelled at him? What are you, like 8? It's nice to yell at people for the consequences of our choices.

Seriously, you people that like to give CSR people a hard time just so you can scam a hook up, grow up.

22. bigchief macrumors 6502a

If they did it for just one person they would have to do it for every one. Ever heard of CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT?

23. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

He has 5 iPhones; he is a bigger customer than most.

But will it matter? No.