Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
I have a 2gb data plan on my 3GS (had to drop the unlimited from my 2g). I tether all the time, but I haven't since I heard about AT&T cracking down on it. I use MyWi to tether. If I keep my tethering under 1GB, will they catch me?

Grimsrud

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
I use it sometimes, and I've never been caught. However, I plan on always using a VPN in the future to completely eliminate any chance of AT&T catching me. I only use tethering if I'm doing homework or something else that is vital in a place that has no useable wifi connection, so I'm not going to pay those vampires at AT&T more just fore that.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I don't think they will, but they could look at the packets and tell if you are tethering or not.

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
I use it sometimes, and I've never been caught. However, I plan on always using a VPN in the future to completely eliminate any chance of AT&T catching me. I only use tethering if I'm doing homework or something else that is vital in a place that has no useable wifi connection, so I'm not going to pay those vampires at AT&T more just fore that.

And AT&T won't find out? How would one do this?

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
According to an internal memo from ATT they are going to crack down on people tethering in stages. Right now they are hitting the heavy traffic users. Maybe once they are done, if they are successful enough, they will give up. But it is entirely possible after they do unlimited plans that they will move on to the 2GB plans and then to the 250mb plans thereafter.

Grimsrud

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
How is this done?
You can either pay a few bucks a month to a company that sells VPN access or create one on your home router. I like having a British IP that allows me to watch video on BBC's iPlayer and Channel Four's website, so I just pay for one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.