AT&T busting people with 2GB data plans?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by AlphaDogg, Mar 21, 2011.

1. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I have a 2gb data plan on my 3GS (had to drop the unlimited from my 2g). I tether all the time, but I haven't since I heard about AT&T cracking down on it. I use MyWi to tether. If I keep my tethering under 1GB, will they catch me?

2. Grimsrud macrumors member

I use it sometimes, and I've never been caught. However, I plan on always using a VPN in the future to completely eliminate any chance of AT&T catching me. I only use tethering if I'm doing homework or something else that is vital in a place that has no useable wifi connection, so I'm not going to pay those vampires at AT&T more just fore that.

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I don't think they will, but they could look at the packets and tell if you are tethering or not.

4. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

And AT&T won't find out? How would one do this?

5. Amazing Iceman macrumors 68040

Amazing Iceman

If you establish a VPN connection, they will not be able to know, as the data will be encrypted. It will be hard for them to prove anything.

6. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

According to an internal memo from ATT they are going to crack down on people tethering in stages. Right now they are hitting the heavy traffic users. Maybe once they are done, if they are successful enough, they will give up. But it is entirely possible after they do unlimited plans that they will move on to the 2GB plans and then to the 250mb plans thereafter.

7. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

How is this done?

8. Grimsrud macrumors member

You can either pay a few bucks a month to a company that sells VPN access or create one on your home router. I like having a British IP that allows me to watch video on BBC's iPlayer and Channel Four's website, so I just pay for one.