Carrier AT&T Buy 1 Give 1

g.t. rags

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Long Island
Has anyone tried this?

I need to replace 2 phones, one is not under any contract or installment plan, and the other is on the Next plan trade in eligible.

Can I take advantage of this promotion, and just switch my old phone number to the new line and then deactivate the new phone number? And if so, How does this work? Do they charge me every month and then just credit my account X amount of dollars every month? Do I just get a free phone? Do I get one giant credit?

g.t. rags

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Long Island
Fairly sure you need to have the new number active for the length of the contract
is it the phone number or the line?

I'm more then willing to keep the line open, because I need to active lines. But I don't want to give up a phone number I've been using for a decade.

g.t. rags

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
Long Island
So i got AT&T on the phone and the end result is that I need to keep the line active on my account for a full billing cycle before I can import the number over to the new line and then cancel the old line. The rep said that she recommended I wait until I start seeing the credits applied to my account before I cancel any lines, which can take 3 cycles.

So basically, It going to cost me $75 over 3 months including taxes and surcharges and I'll receive an Iphone XS for $300 instead of the full 1000. Even if you factor in the $75, I'm still up 625.

Reactions: angrytoothbrush

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
So basically, It going to cost me $75 over 3 months including taxes and surcharges and I'll receive an Iphone XS for $300 instead of the full 1000. Even if you factor in the $75, I'm still up 625.
Really? It's that simple? I'll have to look into that.

I don't mind changing my phone number if I can save $700.

Maltoo2

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
Really? It's that simple? I'll have to look into that.

I don't mind changing my phone number if I can save $700.
If they do it like they did the last rebate/type thing you will get a credit every month. Until you reach the $700 in credits. spread out over 30 months and you can not do anything with that line until 30 months is up or you lose the $700 and have to pay full price for the phone.

Last edited:

Nishant

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2010
PA
So i got AT&T on the phone and the end result is that I need to keep the line active on my account for a full billing cycle before I can import the number over to the new line and then cancel the old line. The rep said that she recommended I wait until I start seeing the credits applied to my account before I cancel any lines, which can take 3 cycles.

I would call back. It won't work out the way you posted. Promo attaches to the new line. You can't import your old number onto the new one. All they will tell you to do is take the sim out of your old phone and put it in the new phone. You will still be stuck with the new number.

Reactions: Maltoo2

Maltoo2

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
I would call back. It won't work out the way you posted. Promo attaches to the new line. You can't import your old number onto the new one. All they will tell you to do is take the sim out of your old phone and put it in the new phone. You will still be stuck with the new number.
you can put your sim in any darn phone you want as long as the new line is open and being paid every month you are good to go. My husband's phone is an old iPhone 6 and his contract is to my phone which is still under contract for 6 more months and getting the $22 a month credit removed from his every month. ATT does not care as long as NEW line remains open and paid for the full 30 month term. To keep your old number you will need to shed another line because both your old and new will have to remain open.
[doublepost=1537224988][/doublepost]$23.33 off your new line for 30 months. With the cost of a new line unless you have a number you can shred this is not a great deal. If you have a number or line you can get rid of then it is a great deal.

Last edited:

Maltoo2

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2013
Don't forget that 99% of AT&T promo deals require you to have or sign up for DirecTV service too.
this one does not....the only requirement is a new line and you must keep it for a full 30 months you can not pay the phone off early or you will have to pay full price.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I talked to AT&T and you can save $700 if you have 2 lines. Like I have with me and my wife. Pick which line will change its number. Buy an iPhone X for one line, add a line and buy another iPhone X for the new line. Cancel the line that doesn’t have an iPhone X after a few weeks.

You don’t have to switch between AT&T and Verizon.

We’d like to keep AT&T for our $25 DirecTV discount, free HBO and free calling in Canada.

nottooshabby

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
Seems pretty lame that if you have 2 lines already and don't need a third, you can get the deal by having someone get a new number and canceling one person's old line/number. If you can't tolerate a number change, then they basically push you into changing carriers to get the deal.

Appleloves22

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
I’m with AT&T. I pre-ordered from Verizon three new lines to transfer over. I called AT&T today and told them I was leaving to Verizon because of the $700 credit deal and see if they had anything that could possibly beat that deal. The loyalty dept saw that I have directv also and said they can do $70 off my bill for a full year. Never hurts to call the retentions dept and see what they can offer.
[doublepost=1537239096][/doublepost]
I talked to AT&T and you can save $700 if you have 2 lines. Like I have with me and my wife. Pick which line will change its number. Buy an iPhone X for one line, add a line and buy another iPhone X for the new line. Cancel the line that doesn’t have an iPhone X after a few weeks.

You don’t have to switch between AT&T and Verizon.

We’d like to keep AT&T for our $25 DirecTV discount, free HBO and free calling in Canada.
You may not have to switch numbers if you talk to the retentions dept and ask nicely if there are any offers. Never hurts to try!

Reactions: Cigsm

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Make sure all of this is accurate and they don't stop applying credits once you cancel a line. When I wanted
To do this they said that any line cancelations in the account would effect the bill credits. It's one of a few reasons we ended up moving to T-Mobile

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Just to clarify, if I have 2 lines, open a third, and cancel one of the old lines (the one w/o an upgrade) I am still good on the promo right?

I am not a fan of changing numbers but seeing as I keep getting calls and texts for someone else anyway not a huge loss for me. New # is easier to remember, too.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Just to clarify, if I have 2 lines, open a third, and cancel one of the old lines (the one w/o an upgrade) I am still good on the promo right?

I am not a fan of changing numbers but seeing as I keep getting calls and texts for someone else anyway not a huge loss for me. New # is easier to remember, too.
Yes. The promo's fine print just requires the 'new' line to be open for the length of the credits (24 or 30 months).
[doublepost=1537273920][/doublepost]
I’m with AT&T. I pre-ordered from Verizon three new lines to transfer over. I called AT&T today and told them I was leaving to Verizon because of the $700 credit deal and see if they had anything that could possibly beat that deal. The loyalty dept saw that I have directv also and said they can do $70 off my bill for a full year. Never hurts to call the retentions dept and see what they can offer.
Good idea! I'll call them today and see what I can get.

EDIT: I called retentions, and they only offered me $10/off a month for life. Better than nothing. The AT&T girl who answered said that they have promotions ready to run on the iPhone Xs in the next 1-2 months, but she can't tell me when just yet.

Last edited:

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
it does not have to be 30 month, it can be 24 months as well and they will adjust it appropriately. See screen shot from ATT website advertisement
I don't think that is true..

The "Buy One"? Yes, you can have it be either on 24 or 30 months
But the "Get One" has the payment spread out over 30 months, and if paid off, the credits will stop.

iPhone_XS_-_Pre-Order_Your_New_Apple_iPhone_Today_-_AT_T.png

iPhone_XS_-_Pre-Order_Your_New_Apple_iPhone_Today_-_AT_T-2.png

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I don't think that is true..

The "Buy One"? Yes, you can have it be either on 24 or 30 months
But the "Get One" has the payment spread out over 30 months, and if paid off, the credits will stop.
Okay. That's different from the last time when we did it with the iPhone 7. We had a choice of credits over 24 months or 30 months. Of course we chose 24 months because the 'contract' ended earlier. Maybe AT&T caught on and is only allowing 30 months now. So, the people who want the phone right away in 24 months, without waiting 30 months will 'save' AT&T about $150.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
this one does not....the only requirement is a new line and you must keep it for a full 30 months you can not pay the phone off early or you will have to pay full price.
30 months is crazy! Everyone is so short sided, that's 2 1/2 iPhone cycles from now. So when next years redesign comes out and is killer you'll have no recourse if you gotta have except to buy it outright and continue to pay for current plan too.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
30 months is crazy! Everyone is so short sided, that's 2 1/2 iPhone cycles from now. So when next years redesign comes out and is killer you'll have no recourse if you gotta have except to buy it outright and continue to pay for current plan too.
I'm not short-sighted. If it works for you, do it, if it's not, don't.

I don't care what iPhone Apple releases in 2019, I'm not getting it. I keep my phones for a MINIMUM of 2 years. 3-4 is fine until there is an upgrade worth enough.

30 months is not a deal-breaker to me. It's a 'contract' I'm entering into, and $700 is worth it for me to enter into this 'contract'. If it's not to you, don't do it.

Squeak825

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2007
I'm not short-sighted. If it works for you, do it, if it's not, don't.

I don't care what iPhone Apple releases in 2019, I'm not getting it. I keep my phones for a MINIMUM of 2 years. 3-4 is fine until there is an upgrade worth enough.

30 months is not a deal-breaker to me. It's a 'contract' I'm entering into, and $700 is worth it for me to enter into this 'contract'. If it's not to you, don't do it.
Exactly -- same here. We added my son to our account for his first ever phone as the "Get One" (he doesn't actually get that Xs -- he will get a hand-me-down). That line he will have now we will be paying on for at least 10 more years.

x-evil-x

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2008
phones nowadays should be fine for 3-5 years. nobody needs to be upgrading every year or even two now honestly. I dont see much change two years from now from iPhones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.