AT&T calling home phone at night? for what?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by preguntonontrac, Jun 9, 2011.

1. preguntonontrac macrumors 6502

Hello, 2 days ago A&TT was calling our home phone asking for one of the members of the house not even the main holder of the acc. Depending on what part of the US you live at it might be late afternoon but here was night. In the end the call was not successful since we could not hear well the person... and at the end it just hangs up probably because of poor call connection of the caller.

Here are my questions:

Is there anything recently why at&t should be doing that?
    I am a little worried because we non-oficially internet tether too...
    Are they calling for that, because we tether some times in the pc or for the missuse of the internet? Maybe someone in my house is using internet incorrectly? Maybe because we have jailbroken ours phones a year ago?

Just wondering at the end he called 2 times with reception problems ending with hang up call, he only asked for the same person saying is from att and then call ended and he never called again.

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Probably a scam.

AT&T never calls you unless your late on your bill, and even then its only an automated machine and never calls past 7 or 8pm.

Other than that AT&T really doesn't have a reason to call you. Depending on the situation, they will either Text you, Email or send you a letter by mail letting you know of any changes to your account (like overages or tethering without a plan).

3. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Agreed. That's pretty much how they roll.
    You can log into your Mywireless account and see if there's any messages there.

4. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking something similar but it was pretty strange since they had a name and maybe maybe here is night but there is early. I checked my acc nothing there.

In case it was for sure from AT&t they make calls for ilegal use of the internet tethering or anything related like downloading music etc or anything else?

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Nope. I don't think they ever call the customer under any circumstances. If they do, it's probably a voice automated one too.

6. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, thanks then maybe i should consider on reporting the number although the id caller did not pick it up...

Thanks for the help guys

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're in trouble.
    Next time you tether they will come to your house at midnight:D

8. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I wouldn't worry about it, it was probably some kind of scam from people saying they were AT&T.

If you truly worried then just call AT&T and ask if anything is wrong. They maybe have information about other people reporting the same thing.

9. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

Ill do that althought tomorrow ill report the call to att and ask. In any case if it is something related to how i use my internet, i think they are not suppose to invade our privacy on how we use it right? Also if some company, user etc reports my att ip how att deals with that?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Actually they can and have been tracking down users that tether without a proper tethering plan. And no you cannot use that data anyway you want just so you know. Privacy has nothing to do with it.
    But they dont usually call, they just send you a text letting you know that next time they catch you tethering they will remove the unlimited data plan and put you on a 4GB plan with official tethering.

11. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

12. MotleyGrrl macrumors 6502

MotleyGrrl

Have you contacted them about anything recently?
    AT&T called my house late one night and I didn't answer. I thought it was odd and I called them back. Turns out it wasn't a scam, it was a follow up on an email I had sent them a week before.

13. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

Be sure to update us on what's happening.

14. preguntonontrac thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry for the late response, in the end it seems they were calling because one of my family members lost a phone long time ago and bought another one and they were calling that late to see if all went fine...

15. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Strange that they would be calling that late, but thanks for the follow-up.