AT&T Cancelled my Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsa420

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Suddenly the 3 lines of my account stopped working, walked into ATT store, they looked up my account and the notes said "Cancelled, Definitely Fraud".

I called their fraud dept and because I made 60 something attempts on Apple's site to buy the 6+ using my various ATT accounts, they cancelled all of my accounts and I was told I could never be an ATT customer again (fine by me).

I inquired if their misguided fraud claim would have any implications outside of ATT (i.e trying to report to credit bureaus, etc) and they said NO, stays within ATT.

They did not charge me an early termination fee for any of the 3 lines I recently activated and I just got 3 iPhone 6+'s at subsidized price (they are for the people in my office).

Shocked by their claim but also feel kind of lucky as I got 3 subsidized phones that I can now sell for full retail. Also have service with VZW so just added 3 new lines to VZW and will get VZW 6+'s.

I am amazed by their claim/action without checking with me first, but find it most amazing that they cancelled my accounts without requiring me to pay ETF. Feels like I came out on top.

dsa420

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
I was trying to get 6+ when it was in peak demand and u couldn't get them anywhere. Have "various" accounts as I had to open accounts for our international employees who have no credit domestically.

----------

And phones are not "blacklisted", I asked this of ATT. They said they are mine to keep as I own them now.

Have a feeling will come back to bite me in the ass somehow.

cnotes2019

Suspended
Aug 17, 2013
There's no way to have a business account and taccommodate those employees as well within it?

dsa420

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
I just had a consumer account, didn't think to convert it over to business account. Too late now, that made it abundantly clear that I can't ever be an ATT customer again (boo hoo)

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Yep.

Never trust an AT&T rep.

I'd imagine 8 months from now you might get a random call on a sunny day from a collections agency regarding your unpaid balances for 3 smartphones that the AT&T rep said you were free and clear on ;)

dsa420

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
Oh, no doubt about it.... Apparently there is TONS of fraud when new iPhones launch.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
You better get everything in writing. Seems strange? Did you loose your numbers? I know if they cancel you, you don't have to pay the etf, the reasons you were told was rather odd. They usually cancel you when you are causing them money, in this case they caused themselves to loose money.

mantan

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2009
DFW
I'm thinking there is WAY more to this story than the OP shared.

In his version AT&T just cancelled him for fraud for no real reason...he was just trying really hard to get a phone. If a company has an issue with a customer where they are willing to give up the revenue and ban them completely, something pretty big must have happened.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
What sort of contract were you tying these phone purchases to? Were you opening up new accounts on behalf of your employees who have no credit? Were you planning on paying their monthly fee, or were they going to pay you for them? I would think that AT&T would allow anyone to open up multiple accounts, so long as the name/address on the account matches the name/address of the billing credit card.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I was trying to get 6+ when it was in peak demand and u couldn't get them anywhere. Have "various" accounts as I had to open accounts for our international employees who have no credit domestically.
That's the problem there, you were flagged by numerous attempts at buying the phone with numerous accounts. As mentioned a business account would have been better. Sorry to hear about so much issue :(

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
I'm thinking there is WAY more to this story than the OP shared.

In his version AT&T just cancelled him for fraud for no real reason...he was just trying really hard to get a phone. If a company has an issue with a customer where they are willing to give up the revenue and ban them completely, something pretty big must have happened.
I'm with you on this one. I think there is more to the story.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
Assuming they're 64GB models, you've paid (3x) $399 for a phone with a full retail price of $849, and you think ATT are just going to let you keep them?

I'm confused.

linkgx1

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2011
Something is fishy here. You're not telling us everything. There's not way AT&T would want to lose business lines. You're....you're up to something.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I think any carrier would have flagged the account if they thought there was some type of fraud pattern--and if you make 60 attempts with multiple accounts that fits the bill. Try that with Verizon next year and I bet the same thing will happen.

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
3 phones, 3x $399
Ah no, I understood there were multiple phones: that wasn't the bit that was confusing me!

It appears that ATT say they're willing to take a hit of $(849–399) x3, or $1350. That's what's confusing me.

I foresee a visit from a debt collection agency operative...

Menel

macrumors 603
Aug 4, 2011
Ah no, I understood there were multiple phones: that wasn't the bit that was confusing me!

It appears that ATT say they're willing to take a hit of $(849–399) x3, or $1350. That's what's confusing me.

I foresee a visit from a debt collection agency operative...
Or the FBI if they really see it as fraud, and have evidence/documentation supporting their fraud claim.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida

----------

And phones are not "blacklisted", I asked this of ATT. They said they are mine to keep as I own them now.

It will not be so funny when they brick all three of your new phones.

AT&T will usually win in the end.:D

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
They had TONS of people making multiple attempts to order the iPhone then (because it would often fail or not load at one of the pages)… so there must be something else thats going on in your case (using other peoples credit cards or something?). I really doubt they would just cancel all accounts and make you leave unless theres something else weird going on. Just doesn't sound right...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.