AT&T Cancelled my Accounts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dsa420, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsa420 macrumors 6502

Suddenly the 3 lines of my account stopped working, walked into ATT store, they looked up my account and the notes said "Cancelled, Definitely Fraud".

I called their fraud dept and because I made 60 something attempts on Apple's site to buy the 6+ using my various ATT accounts, they cancelled all of my accounts and I was told I could never be an ATT customer again (fine by me).

I inquired if their misguided fraud claim would have any implications outside of ATT (i.e trying to report to credit bureaus, etc) and they said NO, stays within ATT.

They did not charge me an early termination fee for any of the 3 lines I recently activated and I just got 3 iPhone 6+'s at subsidized price (they are for the people in my office).

Shocked by their claim but also feel kind of lucky as I got 3 subsidized phones that I can now sell for full retail. Also have service with VZW so just added 3 new lines to VZW and will get VZW 6+'s.

I am amazed by their claim/action without checking with me first, but find it most amazing that they cancelled my accounts without requiring me to pay ETF. Feels like I came out on top.

2. taedouni macrumors 65816

What if they blacklisted those 3 subsidized phones :eek:

3. wepiii macrumors 6502

4. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

And why do you have "various" at&t accounts?

5. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was trying to get 6+ when it was in peak demand and u couldn't get them anywhere. Have "various" accounts as I had to open accounts for our international employees who have no credit domestically.

----------

And phones are not "blacklisted", I asked this of ATT. They said they are mine to keep as I own them now.

Have a feeling will come back to bite me in the ass somehow.

6. cnotes2019 Suspended

There's no way to have a business account and taccommodate those employees as well within it?

7. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

I just had a consumer account, didn't think to convert it over to business account. Too late now, that made it abundantly clear that I can't ever be an ATT customer again (boo hoo)

8. MsRandall macrumors 6502a

MsRandall

OP had something similar happen to me -I ran back to Verizon

9. Hal~9000 macrumors 68000

Hal~9000

Yep.

Never trust an AT&T rep.

I'd imagine 8 months from now you might get a random call on a sunny day from a collections agency regarding your unpaid balances for 3 smartphones that the AT&T rep said you were free and clear on ;)

10. dsa420 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh, no doubt about it.... Apparently there is TONS of fraud when new iPhones launch.

11. 617aircav Suspended

You better get everything in writing. Seems strange? Did you loose your numbers? I know if they cancel you, you don't have to pay the etf, the reasons you were told was rather odd. They usually cancel you when you are causing them money, in this case they caused themselves to loose money.

12. mantan macrumors 68000

I'm thinking there is WAY more to this story than the OP shared.

In his version AT&T just cancelled him for fraud for no real reason...he was just trying really hard to get a phone. If a company has an issue with a customer where they are willing to give up the revenue and ban them completely, something pretty big must have happened.

13. hipnetic macrumors 6502a

What sort of contract were you tying these phone purchases to? Were you opening up new accounts on behalf of your employees who have no credit? Were you planning on paying their monthly fee, or were they going to pay you for them? I would think that AT&T would allow anyone to open up multiple accounts, so long as the name/address on the account matches the name/address of the billing credit card.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's the problem there, you were flagged by numerous attempts at buying the phone with numerous accounts. As mentioned a business account would have been better. Sorry to hear about so much issue :(

15. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I'm with you on this one. I think there is more to the story.

16. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Assuming they're 64GB models, you've paid (3x) $399 for a phone with a full retail price of $849, and you think ATT are just going to let you keep them?

I'm confused.

17. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

3 phones, 3x $399

18. linkgx1 macrumors 65816

Something is fishy here. You're not telling us everything. There's not way AT&T would want to lose business lines. You're....you're up to something.

19. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think any carrier would have flagged the account if they thought there was some type of fraud pattern--and if you make 60 attempts with multiple accounts that fits the bill. Try that with Verizon next year and I bet the same thing will happen.

20. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Ah no, I understood there were multiple phones: that wasn't the bit that was confusing me!

It appears that ATT say they're willing to take a hit of $(849–399) x3, or $1350. That's what's confusing me.

I foresee a visit from a debt collection agency operative...

21. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Or the FBI if they really see it as fraud, and have evidence/documentation supporting their fraud claim.

22. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

It will not be so funny when they brick all three of your new phones.

AT&T will usually win in the end.:D

23. noobinator macrumors 601

so you profited (849-399) x 3 = $1350 and you think they are yours free and clear?

Good luck with that.

24. Munitalp macrumors 65816

They had TONS of people making multiple attempts to order the iPhone then (because it would often fail or not load at one of the pages)… so there must be something else thats going on in your case (using other peoples credit cards or something?). I really doubt they would just cancel all accounts and make you leave unless theres something else weird going on. Just doesn't sound right...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.