Carrier AT&T Carrier Update that pushed with iOS 8.0 ... UGH really?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by shenan1982, Sep 17, 2014.

1. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

So I didn't even think twice when it offered a carrier update for AT&T... boy do I regret it, wow.

So before I'd get LTE in my condo, then keep it into the elevator and into the parking garage and to my car, and usually back in the corner by my car it'd drop to 4G then when I pulled out of the garage it'd go back to LTE.

Now I leave my unit, it turns to 4G... in the elevator, 4G... in the parking garage, 4G... and then it takes 2-3 minutes when out on the street to go back to LTE.

Whatever thresholds they set, I can't take it. Absurd! My whole motivation for staying with ATT is their stronghold over TMO on LTE... but if I'm going to be sitting on 4G often, I might as well sit on TMO's 4x faster HSPA+ network.

Anyone else notice this yet? I didn't notice it until I got out of my place and off the wifi. Talk about backwards progress.

Ughhhhhhhhhh

EDIT: to test it, I took my iPhone 5S (same model) that is still jailbroken and on 7.1.2, and walked side by side. Yep, the carrier update definitely broke the LTE in my building.

2. midnight555 macrumors newbie

I am experiencing the same problem after accepting the update.

3. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

F F F F!!!!!!! I knew I shouldn't have installed it! I'm getting sick and tired of these companies taking over $100/month and then lying to us with security updates that steal our personal data and performance update which slow our systems down for their benefit

4. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Are you sure you had a GOOD LTE signal in those places?

The carrier update might be just making the phone prefer "4G"* when LTE is really weak.

I've seen that happen at work; it's actually helped my usage inside where LTE is weak but "4G" is stronger.

* - "4G" aka AT&T's version of 3G.

6. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

Perform a speed test. You may be receiving a fasster connection with a full "4G" signal than you are with a low LTE one.

For those not living in the US, the "4G" mentioned in this thread is a marketing term for 3G HSPA+.

7. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Yeah I've lived here for 3 years. I know every inch of coverage in the building, lol

----------

Technically you're right, but the issue is the latency. If I wanted 3G I'd get Sprint. I like LTE for the very low latency. It was working fine before. If they adjusted the threshold of where LTE cuts down to 4G the only explanation would be for the perception of better coverage, in which I say NO!

8. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Is there a way to restore the phone to the older Carrier Update?

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

I think if you do an iTunes restore of 8.0, you go back to carrier file in IPSW.

10. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Of course, a carrier update can't actually do any of those things that you mentioned. Carrier updates only have access to a specific subset of iOS functionality that Apple to defines. Pretty much all related to the cellular radio.

11. supersalo macrumors 6502

supersalo

Yes. Restore it in iTunes (I *think* resetting all on the phone itself will do it too. I know it resets the carrier settings for sure when restored thru itunes)

12. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

100% get that.
    But I applied the Carrier Update that came with iOS 8.0, and the result is a phone that no longer works inside my home.

I trusted them.... and they burned me.

----------

Thanks!!! How can I tell the version of the carrier update?

13. kcvpr, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

kcvpr macrumors newbie

Give AT&T a call, I have heard of them making custom carrier updates for people in certain situations iirc.

I could be imagining things though lol.

DO THE FOLLOWING AT YOUR OWN RISK. I do not know if you can/can't mess anything up doing this. But I have had zero problems. YMMV

You can also get into the field test mode for the phone by dialing *3001#12345#* where it will show the signal strength in DB. The smaller the number the better the signal. For those of you who prefer the numbers to the dots (like me) if you hold down the lock button until the shut down slider appears then press and hold the home button until the home screen and just before the dots reappear. You'll now have numbers instead of dots toggled by tapping on the it while in an app. If the numbers don't stick you've held the home button button a bit too long, so you'll have to repeat the process.

14. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

If you reset network settings, it will remove any carrier update.

15. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I've been doing a week or two of extensive testing and I can definitely say the carrier update they pushed is to blame. Before the update I hat LTE in more places. Mind you I live in a densely covered area of San Francisco, that has always had phenomenal coverage, and only lost it after this update. Now I drop a call when I pull into the garage, which I NEVER dropped a call on prior to the update. In areas where service was borderline (2-3 bars) I now have LTE, but it's painfully slow or the data access just times out.

Not sure where to go with this issue. I have stayed with ATT instead of going to T-mobile because of the way AT&T seems to work in more places, but now I'm questioning that decision. If they're not going to fix it, I'm gone.

I called Tech Support (i.e. someone who reads a script at ATT), and they were not helpful. They had me reset my phone, do a restore, try a different phone. I tried to explain it only started as an issue after the carrier update, and that those that haven't updated have no issues in the same place. They didn't know what a carrier update was. So they put me through to Tier 3 escalations and they said they don't have enough reports in the area to consider it a serious issue. Apparently ATT works like comcast.. those who notice it first don't get attention till 2 months later when AT&T feels enough people are having an issue to look into the matter. So I just have to bury my head in the sand for a couple months I guess.

16. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Did post number 14 help at all?

17. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

No that doesn't revert the carrier profile I tried it.

18. MaskedCarrot macrumors regular

I just want to make sure I understand what is going on so I don't repeat this myself.

So doing the carrier update is when you plug your phone into the computer and iTunes itself is where you get the carrier update correct?

Also does it ask you to with a prompt if you want to update it? I wanted to make sure iTunes gives you the choice to deny installing it.

19. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Nope, if I reset network settings, then go in and plug in, the iTunes doesn't prompt for update, because the carrier update didn't uninstall. The only way to remove it (from my understanding) is to restore... assuming 8.1 doesn't have it built in, which I'm thinking it does.

20. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

Here's an update on this situation: I had the EXACT same problem. Today, I called AT&T and they passed me to Advanced Technical Support. To my total surprise, I reached a technician who actually knew what he was doing!

He had me power off my phone and he sent out some account changes which my phone picked up 3 minutes later. Unfortunately, I can't test this until I get home from work, but it should work. And, if it doesn't work, he said they will continue to work on the problem. He said there have been a lot of issues with iOS 8 (in case you don't know), and this is one of them. But I am punch-drunk-happy that AT&T is actually willing to try to fix it. I'll report later tonight or tomorrow after I get the phone home. It will be very easy for me to tell if the fix works correctly.

21. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Unfortunately I've been through this all too many times with AT&T. It's all talk and not a lot of action. Having worked closely with the advanced support team more times than I care to admit, there's really not a whole lot they can do.

It's good to hear they're taking a lot of complaints, and hopefully they'll get those in charge of the carrier files to revert back to that thresholds of the old file, but nothing that guy did is going to help you I'm afraid. The extent of their powers is basically manually going into the provisioning system, detaching your phone and re-attaching it. They play it up as more than it is, because it's all they can do, and they really do feel bad. The problem with cell phone carriers is one customer is just a number, and it's not until they have waves of issues that they even look at an issue.

Speaking as a former AT&T and T-Mobile employee. One of my biggest frustrations was how absurdly difficult it was to get anything done because the corporate structures are so thick. T-Mobile wasn't as bad, but AT&T was like everyone was a blade of grass on a mountain, and even being in upper middle management, the sheer size of the company prevented any change from coming easy.

22. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

AT&T Carrier Update that pushed with iOS 8.0 ... UGH really?

I'm home now, and I'm getting an LTE signal inside my house for the first time since upgrading to OS 8!!

I haven't tried a phone call yet, but so far, it appears that he really did fix something. I'll continue to post updates to my situation.

23. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Short of a carrier update (which he can't do over the phone) there's no technical explanation backing what you say. I think it's typical att placebo.

24. shenan1982 thread starter macrumors 68040

shenan1982

I thought I'd call them just for laughs...

The first agent I spoke with said "Apple makes the carrier updates, not US. I corrected them and said no Apple just distributes it, not creates it.

The Tier 2 escalation I spoke with said they've had tons of issues with iOS 8, and that is evident by the fact that "Apple has released a dozen or so updates since iOS 8" which I corrected him as saying no, they've released two since iOS 8. I then asked him to escalate it.

Tier 3 said that they can't control iOS carrier updates and that they come from a separate department and that they just come when new features are added. I asked which feature was added that was so important they dropped the LTE and 4G thresholds so now where I used to get LTE I now get 4G. They seemed dumbfounded.

My GUESS is that the latest carrier update pushed the threshold for holding LTE lower so they make sure that when a user has LTE they'd keep LTE because when they light up VOLTE, they'll look like they have a piss poor network if the LTE threshold isn't right and people are dropping calls because their network isn't as good as they want people to think it is.

Bottom line, AT&T's support staff are awful. The company is so disorganized. Their own forums have their support staff addressing questions about carrier update issues, yet their phone support doesn't know anything about the issues that their support staff discover in the forums.

It's such poor customer service.

25. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Erase your phone and resync your back up, OTA carrier updates are not permanently flashed in, unless it's part of the next iOS build.