AT&T caught me! what do I do?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by JoeJITSU, Oct 11, 2007.

1. JoeJITSU macrumors member

I am a regular customer of AT&T and just didn't want to pay the extra monthly....SO I unlocked mine. Well today I noticed "no service" on my iphone. I then Ibrick and unlocked my iphone like I did before. Nothing! tried it again...Nothing! I then learned when I went on my AT&T account...THEY know that I have an iphone. WTF? now what? They are giving me a unlock code but I don't even know how to put that in. 8 digits. I tried to enter it like a phone # and even went to the settings...NOthing! HELP!

2. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

I would say don't try to screw a company out of money in the first place.
    But maybe that's just the honest person in me. ;)

3. PDE macrumors 68020

It's hardly screwing a company out of money. I am in the same situation but haven't been outed. we chose to use our iphones without the data plan - that's our choice and why should be bullied into this. If they do this with me, I'll immediately switch carriers since I'm not in contract anymore.

What does the code do? Will it give you back your service? Lock your phone? What did they say, exactly? I'm sure a lot of people want to know.

thanks

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Are you sure ATT isn't just pressuring you? Did they give you instructions on how to use the code they gave? I've switched in and out of phones all the time with ATT and they've never changed my phone icon unless I changed it on the website. The exception for me is the iphone but I assumed that was because I activated through itunes and have the special plan.

And in the future, when you see that "no service", call them and lie about what phone you have but ask if there's an outage in your area. The other day at work, where i normally get perfect coverage and amazing edge speeds, I could barely get one bar all day. Then suddenly around 3pm it all came rushing back. Might have been a network issue.

5. PDE macrumors 68020

I've switched phones many times too and you're right, the icon never changes unless I change it. I wonder what it is that would identify the iphone as an iphone on the network and if they are actively looking for them or if it really just paranoia on our part.

Tell us more...please.

6. JoeJITSU thread starter macrumors member

I checked the plan and they know I have an iphone. They give me instructions how to unlock it but it doesn't work. It says its my sim but whenever I put the sim into a new phone other than the iphone it works. WTF? I unlocked my phone with iunlock and anysim twice and still nothing

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

You were never "bullied" into it. You didn't have to buy an iPhone. If you don't want a data plan then what is the point of the phone?

8. JoeJITSU thread starter macrumors member

unlocked it does everything except for virtual voicemail. thats it.
    I can still use my cingular/att just like it was in my old cell phone

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

So your telling me that without a data plan you still get EDGE with your iPhone?

The point still stands, sorry I just don't get it.

10. PDE macrumors 68020

The point is having what *I* need in a mobile device (not what Apple/ATT wants me to want) without paying much more on my ATT family plan (pre-cingular ATT). I don't need constant data because I generally have good wifi access wherever I am and don't care much for the crawling speeds of edge. Would I like Edge? Sure, why not, but not if I have to tie myself to ATT for two years again, and not if it means havinbg to give up my great old plan which gives more for less compared to the present day plans.

And, besides, I travel a lot and get to use edge with local sims outside the U.S..

Oh, again, off topic because couldn't understand that other people have different needs and requirements than they do. Oh well, too bad.

11. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

something does not make sense. AT&T told you how to unlock it? That makes no sense.

12. Lartymarf macrumors regular

Just a quick question to clarify things....

Those of who do not want to pay the monthly extra, you are using
    the iPhone just for phone and the applications on the phone but do
    not use the Edge network for data tranfser?

Or are you not paying for the data plan but get access to Edge anyway?

There's a big difference between the 2.

13. PDE macrumors 68020

I agree. I can't imagine that ATT would know how to unlock it. Is the code for the SIM card? Like a PUK code or something? Did you lock yourself out somehow?

No, we don't get edge if we don't pay for it. I just use wifi f, the ipod, the phone - no edge while in the U.S.

14. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I asked ATT if they could unlock a phone at 3 month in contract mark, which they typically do on their accounts. I told them I was going out of the country. The tech guy said they did NOT have any way of unlocking the phone at all.

Perhaps this is a method to "unbrick" a phone, not unlock?

I do know, for sure, that ATT (or ANY company) can tell what phone you use within 3 days of you switching.

15. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

PDA functions...

16. PDE macrumors 68020

I wonder though if they are scanning for iphones? Good to know just in case it happens to me too. If it does, bye bye ATT.

Can they actually do anything to the phone - I assume it's just the ATT sim?

17. seedster2 macrumors 6502a

Doubtful they can or will do anything physcially to the phone. Any GSM provider can tell what handset you are using by the IMEI number.

Maybe they just deactivated his SIM or something. Either way they dont ahve the unlock code for the phone from what i gather.

The OP sounds like he screwed up somehwere else and may be confused.

18. acrafton macrumors 6502

Something doesn't make sense here. . .ATT did not provide him an unlock code in the sense that it will enable you to use your phone on any network. They may have provided him with some kind of code to unlock his sim (or account) so that he can use it again, most likely with a new 2 year plan.

I posted a question a few weeks ago asking if ATT was going to monitor and turn off IPhones with non-IPHone accounts. . .the general consensus was no. However, it appears that they may be doing just that. . .ouch.

19. erandall38 macrumors 6502

Joe,
    If you get a chance could you maybe call ATT back and see how you are supposed to use that code? I am interested in exactly what it does and what it is for.

At first I was thinking maybe this is how some of the geniuses were unbricking iPhones... but those iPhones were bricked so not sure how you woudl type in a code.

20. GTiPhone macrumors regular

Actually it ISN'T your choice at all.. You have a choice between iPhone service or no iPhone service. No Data = No Service

21. calvy macrumors 65816

What is displayed on your account page is based upon what IMEI number you've given to AT&T. If you change phones without telling them the IMEI of your new phone, it won't show your new phone in the account page. But when you activated your iphone, you gave them your IMEI without knowing it.

And no AT&T isn't going to give you an unlock code. How many times do we have to go over this one. It's locked to AT&T, and without hacking or a lawsuit, you aren't unlocking the thing.

I'd be very curious to know what this "code" you were given was though. Especially since they apparently didn't tell you what to do with it.

22. PDE macrumors 68020

Actually, it IS my choice and I've very clearly demonstrated that I've made that choice by using my iphone with my old ATT sim - as have many many other people. It may not be a choice for YOU, but it is for us.

And, as I said, if ATT doesn't want my business and starts tracking poeple's iphones, I will go elsewhere immediately. This is the point of having unlocked phones: when companies start doing bad things, providing poor service, over-billing, not providing the customer with what they need - you make a phone call to negotiate a better deal or cancel your service and move on to somebody who will provide the service you need and want. Isn't that what the free market is ultimately about? Yet, over and over again, people are defending Apple and ATT. Sick.

23. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Thank goodness some people can still think clearly and see how awful this iPhone situation's become.

If it were up to some of these Apple zealots, we'd still be a British colony...

24. chr1s60 macrumors 68000

chr1s60

I don't know what to do about the OP's issue. However, anyone saying AT&T or Apple bullied them is out of their mind. Apple designed the damn phone, if you like it then pay for it. They didn't come to your house, break your other phone, shove the iPhone in your pocket and hand you a bill. AT&T is a cell phone service provider and just like all other major carriers they require a 2 year contract for service. Any PDA or iPhone they sell is required to have the data plan, not to be a bully, but because that is the reason you are buying that type of phone. If you don't need the things offered in a PDA and the data plan that comes with it, then save money and buy a normal cell phone. Neither case is bullying because you have complete control over phone and service provider when choosing a cell phone.

25. Chakalaka macrumors member

As someone stated earlier, wireless carriers can identify what phone you are using once you start using the device. I had a Siemens SL55, before they offered it, they knew exactly what phone I was using when I tried to add insurance to my plan and was denied. Same with a Nokia I had that was from Europe and not offered here in the States.

As far as people griping at others for wondering why they just don't pay for the iphone services, its their choice not to. I see this as Apple/AT&Ts policy to use an iphone and a consumers way of finding a loop hole. Why begrudge them for their choices? If I didn't want Edge at all I would've done the same thing too.