AT&T Changed My Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan to New Value Shared Plans

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arksun, Feb 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arksun macrumors newbie

Did this happen to anyone else?

I recently checked my account and it shows that AT&T removed me from my grandfathered unlimited data plan and moved my whole family plan to 10GB shared value plan with 4 lines. Before, there was only 2 data plans on my family account for 2 iPhones. Now, it seems like they forced me onto their new plans and I've lost my unlimited data plan.

Also, the second iPhone on my plan is now unable to connect to LTE or 3G because it shows that the phone is not subscribed to a data service.

2. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

They didn't just magically force you over, so spare us the histrionics.

You probably pressed something you shouldn't have online when you were accessing your account. They are promoting the new plans hard. When I logged into my account last night, it asked me if I wanted to switch, before going into the profile screen. Even if you clicked yes then, there's still a handful of other screens that you have to accept before a plan just changes.

Call 611 and ask them if they'll fix your mistake.

3. I7guy macrumors G5

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

AT&T doesn't force people off their old plans. You had to have clicked something.

5. Prise macrumors regular

6. arksun thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't logged onto their website in over a month. The reason I knew of the change was because a family member told me he noticed the change when checking data usage via SMS.

7. I7guy macrumors G5

Okay, but have you called them, do you have the authority to call AT&T?

8. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

yeah. I mean, thanks for telling us, but you should call AT&T and get this figured out.

9. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Like everyone else is saying call AT&T and hope that they will fix your mistake. Unless of course someone else in your family is authorized to make changes to the account and they switched it on purpose.

10. I7guy macrumors G5

Story sounds fishy the way it's being relayed. Sounds like the account owner got an SMS about data usage.

11. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Someone else on your account probably called in and changed it. AT&T isn't going to change your plans around without asking.

12. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

While I agree they probably aren't changing unlimited plans to the new ones, AT&T's website is clear that those on the old 10GB plans will be automatically switched to the new plans.

I have 4 lines (10GB) and paid $240/month by subsidizing all my lines. Under the new plan, I'd be charged $260/month by subsidizing all my lines.

So to say AT&T doesn't change plans automatically isn't entirely accurate.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Folks, the OP is CLEARLY asking if anything similar happened to them. Not sure why there are so many "don't ask us, ask AT&T". Well he is asking us because he wants to know if it has happened to any of us...

As far as it getting switched over, there are a couple scenarios.

1. Someone in your family who has access to change plans did so
    2. (similar to 1) someone in your family had an upgrade and either chose this plan OR the person activating the account messed up - this actually happened to me when I purchased a Lumia 920 - they put me on the 3GB plan instead of unlimited. I had to call and get it fixed.
    3. (incredibly unlikely) Some jerk at AT&T decided to use his abilities to screw with your plan.

If the change happened recently, it should be an easy fix.

14. I7guy macrumors G5

Why would op ask the question on the internet instead of resolving the issue unless the account is not the ops? I would have been on the phone in a new york second with at&t. I also have my account locked down.

15. C DM macrumors Westmere

It sounds like the OP should actually figure out whether or not it happened for sure (and perhaps in the process get an explanation from AT&T if that did happen). That seems to have the most chance of getting a useful result of some sort.

16. lordofthereef, Feb 16, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't know... people ask questions on the internet all of the time. Because maybe he was hoping to hear of someone else in the same situation before he puts himself on the spot over the phone? Who the heck am I to question what his reasoning is. He asked if this happened to anyone else. The lot of you took it someplace else entirely.

I gave him an example on how something somewhat similar happened to me. Whether it was pertinent or useful information to him is for him to decide. At least I tried to actually answer his question with something more than a "why the F are you asking here?" response...

17. AnthroMatt macrumors regular

AnthroMatt

Agree with the first part...not the second. When I switched to the new plans I had to click about ten "somethings" before the change was made. Pretty hard to do that by mistake.

I do think that those suggesting someone with account-level access may have made a change are probably onto something.

FWIW, when I made the change I received 4 email confirmations (one for each line). The only text messages I got were to each phone stating that each line was now eligible for an upgrade with NEXT.

18. I7guy macrumors G5

Any question is fair game. OP seemed to be a little cagey with details. Is OP the account owner? A minor who is under parents account (my guess)? Before OP can be helped, rather than play 20 questions, some details are needed. Without those details, it's best to talk to the carrier. One of those times answering the question with a common sense solution is the best cause of action.

Still waiting for OP to post back.

19. iPhonemaster5S macrumors 6502

iPhonemaster5S

Somebody on your account must have clicked on soemthing, otherwise somebody at AT&T decided to screw with His/her power. If this happened recently AT&T might be able to reverse it for you.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Absokutely. But there are fewer questions and more accusations here. I was merely pointing out how bizarre that is.

If I were the OP I wouldn't bother posting back. He's gotten virtually no help here lol. Why would he choose to waste more if his time? I've already wasted more of mine that I should have pointlessly defending the guy. Lol.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Call AT&T about this. That is your best bet.

No, AT&T has not changed my plan to MobileShare, but I might do it.

22. I7guy macrumors G5

He's gotten no help because there are just some things the "internet" cannot help with.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If that is your take home point from my previous statement, I have obviously wasted my time. Not going to repeat myself a third and fourth time. Not even sure why I bothered responding this last time.

24. nostresshere, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014

nostresshere macrumors 68030

I dropped my two unlimited plans and lowered my bill by $60 a month, and now spread data over 4 lines and have hotspot and still have 7-8 gb more than I need.

They may have done you a favor.

25. I7guy macrumors G5

No need to be condescending. I understood what you said and what the op said and don't agree on there are not multiple ways to answer a question. But I appreciate the response nevertheless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.