AT&T Denies Rumor of Company-Wide Vacation Blackout at End of September

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, TechCrunch reported that AT&T had issued a vacation blackout for September 21-30 ahead of an "iconic release", coinciding exactly with a similar blackout at Verizon.

9to5Mac now reports that AT&T has specifically denied that a company-wide blackout is in effect for that time period. Anecdotal reports from store staff do, however, suggest that the carrier may be increasing its staffing levels around that time.
This morning, an AT&T spokesperson told us that there is no company-wide vacation blackout at the end of September.

We've also talked to AT&T reps at other stores who've implied that, depending on staffing levels of that particular store, more people are being put on duty - but there is no "blackout". In fact one New York employee will be sitting out the first week of the iPhone launch on a long planned vacation.
Numerous sources have indicated that Apple will be introducing the next-generation iPhone at a media event on September 12, but the actual launch date for the device has been somewhat less certain. Several sources have pointed to September 21 as the launch date for the first group of markets, a timeframe that does fit with Apple's typical pattern seen in previous launches.

Article Link: AT&T Denies Rumor of Company-Wide Vacation Blackout at End of September

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
Funny, every year there's the same story of vacation blackout but this year with stronger rumors than ever of sep launch they decide to deny it?

nfl46

macrumors 604
Oct 5, 2008
Wow, it feels weird knowing we will all have the iPhone 5 in our hands in around THREE weeks. Time is moving very quick!

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Funny, every year there's the same story of vacation blackout but this year with stronger rumors than ever of sep launch they decide to deny it?
How has AT&T denied that there won't be an iPhone launch? They're simply saying that there's no employee blackout for vacations. Meaning, some personnel might be on vacation, but that won't necessarily stop AT&T from handling the customer load of a new iPhone.

Mark

Boatboy24

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2011
1 Infinite Loop
"There is no company wide blackout. At least one AT&T employee will be on vacation during that time." :D

I'm curious to see if I will be "encouraged" to move off of my unlimited data plan.

joeshmo2010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2009
Seattle, WA
So, in addition to current employees, more are being put on duty but there is no blackout? LOL!
Exactly. More people are being put on duty because the new hire event that is currently ongoing will be complete this Friday. Don't know what the issue is here. People shouldn't be so quick to judge.

Dwalls90

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2009
Maybe this means Apple isn't offering them the new iPhone until they shape up their stupid customer service policies. :rolleyes:

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Even if AT&T is allowing grandfathered unlimited data plans for this launch, you can bet that they WILL find a way to discontinue them at anytime they please.

This IS AT&T we're talking about here!

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
How has AT&T denied that there won't be an iPhone launch? They're simply saying that there's no employee blackout for vacations. Meaning, some personnel might be on vacation, but that won't necessarily stop AT&T from handling the customer load of a new iPhone.

Mark
I didn't say AT&T denied an iPhone launch.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Looks like an HR message

My guess is that someone challeged not being able to take this time off went to HR. Next a legally binding message gets sent out.

Either way, anyone connected with activations will be 'discouraged' from taking time off. :)

----------

Wow stop the presses, one employee in new york will be on vacation
Only if they agree to be on-call :)

malcolmffc

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2007
Well, of course the guy with the long planned (and presumably approved) vacation is able to take the time off then. They couldn't just cancel it because monts later they decided on a balckput, after he'd possibly spent thousands on flights etc

wutang61

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2011
At&t is pushing very hard now to get rid of the unlimited. I have switched my unlimited to a go phone every year when I sell my previous iPhone for the new one. This year when I went to go do it they told me they told me if I move from a iPhone to any other device I will lose it. So I had to scramble for a 3GS to use during this time.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Where I work we are blacked out all of November and December. But if it's something we had planned well in advance we can still take time. Or if there is an emergency at home.

I'm sure the back and forth from AT&T has no real bearing on a launch date. If they are going to allow vacations during launch why wouldn't everyone take vacation that week? It's got to be their busiest week every year.